16 Mar, 2011

Welcome to our newest patron: the Canada Agriculture Museum

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Fishbowl patrons

I’d like to take a moment to welcome a very special patron to the Fishbowl. The Canada Agriculture Museum (locally known as the Experimental Farm) is a big deal for families here in the Ottawa area. It is a MUCH beloved institution. It is so lovely, so unique and rare to have a working farm in the middle of the city.

We’ve been going there ever since the girls were tiny. They’ve attended summer camps there and we’ve spent many lovely afternoon hours gazing at the cows and walking those scenic roads between the fields (and once we even got locked inside, but that’s a different story).

The Museum adds so much fun and value to family life here in Ottawa. I just love it.

If you haven’t heard yet, the Small Animal Barn has reopened at the Canada Agriculture Museum. It’s been closed for three years for restructuring (which I knew because every year we’d go back and wonder what was going on). This barn is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental value. Home to the Agriculture Museum’s pigs, sheep, goats and rabbits, it reopened just in time for the Museum’s Barnyard Break and special programming for the month of March (which is going on right now through until March 31). Yay!

If you haven’t been to the Canada Agriculture Museum, you must go. Spring is an EXCELLENT time to visit. Chicks! Bunnies! Calves! As many of you already know, they have excellent programming for children. It’s a families-first kind of place. The staff are friendly, knowledgeable and passionate about what they’re doing. It’s the kind of place where the learning comes naturally, and memories made there are long-lasting. (Sarah still bugs me about making our own butter.)

Thank you to our friends at the Museum. I really appreciate your patronage.

Are you a fan of the farm? I’d love to hear about it. :)

8 Responses to "Welcome to our newest patron: the Canada Agriculture Museum"

1 | suze

March 16th, 2011 at 12:41 pm

love love love the “sperimental farm”. My only gripe is that they don’t have the daily schedule up on the website. All the activities sound like fun, but we’re not spending 8 hours there in hope of catching the horse talk, butter making and maple syrup. It would be nice to know what time they’re at!

2 | Natalie

March 16th, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Our absolute fave place in Ottawa! Perfect for my kids’ age group (they’re 4). We’ve spent countless hours there in the last couple of years. In the summer we pack a picnic and play on the structures. It never seems to get old. And we parents enjoy it just as much, especially when we get home with three TIRED kiddos who fall into blissful slumber. Our membership has been well worth the money and then some! We registered them for the camp this summer and I am looking forward to seeing them enjoy it.

3 | Michelle

March 16th, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Love it!!! Started going when my son was 6 months old now 5 and introduced our little lady when she was also just 6 months old. We are very fortunate to have access to such a wonderful place…
When you visit the Small Animal Barn towards the pigs, there’s a photo on the wall of a smilling pig that’s my husbands photo that won a prize last year. :-) I strongly suggest the upcoming sheep shearing in May!!!

4 | Sarah (mrsgryphon)

March 17th, 2011 at 1:46 am

We used to go there every time we visited my Aunt and Uncle… And it’s on the list of must-sees whenever we eventually get to Ottawa with our girls (it’s a long way from Alberta!) I love that they are a sponsor here :)

5 | Hilary

March 17th, 2011 at 5:54 am

Is there any Ottawan who doesn’t love the Experimental Farm? I have the most awesome childhood memories of that place. Also, “the Drive” going straight through the farm (especially in the middle of summer) is probably my favourite road in the whole city.

6 | Welcome to our newest patron: the Canadian Museum of Civilization >> a peek inside the fishbowl

March 18th, 2011 at 2:58 pm

[…] patron. I am thrilled. Much like the Canada Agriculture Museum (I just posted about them recently here), the Canadian Museum of Civilization is famous for its awesomeness here in the Ottawa-Gatineau […]

7 | Mary @ Parenthood

March 18th, 2011 at 8:28 pm

We are also BIG fans of this museum. We’ve been pretty much every day this month (20 visits to one of the three in the corporation, probably 2/3 to agriculture to see the animals”

They used to put their schedule online. Not sure why they don’t anymore. As a visitor sometimes it’s frustrating how little information you can get from the staff who are often busy with camps or demos, so questions about the animals are unanswered. But if things aren’t busy and you find a staffer they are happy to answer. Although no one seems to know when the mama pig is due, other than “soon”

8 | Natasha

March 21st, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I took my son who was a year old last year for the first time and he had a blast! Its a great place for kids to learn about animals. We will definitely be frequent visitors this season.

• measured survey: If you are going for finest contnts like me, just go to see this web site everyday since it gives feature contents, thanks
  • Bridget: LOVED this post & so glad you enjoyed the dress! (-:
  • judi: can i use instant yeast
  • jjudge437@comcast.net: can i use instant yeast
  • andrea tomkins: Hi Judy! The oven should be at 450 and you don't cook the dough before the toppings. You put the rolled dough on your pizza stone or baking sheet, add
  • Judy: What temperature for oven for pizza dough, can I cook dough before the toppings
  • Judy: What temperature for oven for pizza dough. Should I cook dough before adding toppings or not

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.