23 Apr, 2011

Hourly Photo: The Easter Sunday edition

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Challenge me, challenge you|Photography

Once again, that troublemaker Lara asked me whether I was planning another Hourly Photo Challenge for Easter Sunday. How could I say no?

The general idea is to take one photo every hour for the whole day (Sunday April 24). The photo has to be of whatever you happen to be doing at that time. You don’t need to be a photographer in order to participate. I know some people are shy to post their photos, but this is not a contest or competition, it’s about documenting your day in an easy and interesting way and seeing how others do the same.

Also, and I want to note, not everyone celebrates Easter, but that’s part of what I think is compelling about these hourly photo projects.

This year I’m going to suggest that everyone who participates take one photo every hour, at the top of the hour. So for example, if your kids drag you out of bed at 6:25 a.m., your first photo will be at 7:00 a.m., then 8:00 a.m. and so on. End when it gets tiresome, or too dark to see. :)

Here is how it works:

• Use whatever camera or mobile device you prefer. I’m using in iPhone, because it’s easy and I can upload as I go.
  • Post them to your blog and/or your photosharing site as you are able. Just make sure you let us know in the comments below where you’re posting them so we can all have a look.
  • If you’re tweeting them out, use #hourlyphoto so others can follow along. Tag them with “hourlyphoto” on Flickr too, so they’re findable that way too.

Here’s a tip, if you have a mobile phone with an alarm clock set it for one minute before the hour i.e. at 7:59, 8:59 etc. Not only is this a great reminder, but it will give you a solid minute to get your camera ready and snap The Thing You Happened To Be Doing.

Please consider playing along! It’s really interesting to see what other people are doing at the same time you are. (Um, that is, if in the same time zone, but if not, that’s okay too.)

Also: it’s not a problem if you can’t upload as you go. Upload in batches when you have the chance. Or even the next day. Whatever!

I hope you join me! I always enjoy seeing what you come up with. :)

19 Responses to "Hourly Photo: The Easter Sunday edition"

1 | Glen Gower

April 23rd, 2011 at 10:43 am

Hi Andrea. We’ll be taking hourly photos, posting to my twitter account http://twitter.com/glengower/

Have a great weekend everybody.

2 | PB_Addict

April 23rd, 2011 at 10:47 am

This sounds fun! I’ll do my best to participate, and will post pictures on my blog and try to remember for twitter http://twitter.com/pb_addict

3 | Kelly MacNaull

April 23rd, 2011 at 10:53 am

Hi Andrea,
I’ll be posting to Twitter as well: http://www.twitter.com/kmacnaull
Looking forward to it!
Kelly

4 | Ross Brown

April 23rd, 2011 at 10:56 am

I’m in, though I don’t know how often I can post my photos. I have no method for shooting and uploading to the Internet. But I’ll at least take pictures on the hour and post them when I can.

I’ll post them to my Picasa Web album (http://bit.ly/dZr2MA) and will add this to my own blog.

It’s going to be fun to see what everyone’s up to. Thanks for starting this, Andrea!

5 | OttMomGo

April 23rd, 2011 at 11:13 am

I’m in. My hubby wasn’t keen at Christmas but since I’m at my mom’s and he’s in Ottawa, he’ll like it ;)

6 | Sherry

April 23rd, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I tried this last time you issued the challenge but then I lost track and didn’t get to it. This time I’m going to try the alarm reminder so I don’t miss it! I’ll be posting them whenever I get a chance over at my blog at http://andromeda.qc.ca

Fun!

7 | Sara

April 23rd, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I’m in – not sure if I’ll use my iPhone or DSLR – either way I’ll #hashtag :)

8 | Kaitlin

April 23rd, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I’ll be playing along for sure! Will be posting to Twitter and likely round-up :)

9 | Ginger

April 23rd, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I am in. I will most likely post to my blog and flicker and maybe twitter if I decide to use my phone instead of me DSLR.

10 | Genevieve

April 23rd, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I think I’ll join you and give it a try! I’ll tweet them out and use the hashtag. Should be fun.

11 | Katie

April 23rd, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I’ll be playing along too via Twitter: @tinymurders

12 | Lara

April 23rd, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Who me? A troublemaker? :)
I’ll be posting to twitter (@larawellman) and then rounding up on my blog later on :)
Yay!

13 | Vicky

April 23rd, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I’ll do my best, but having the ‘laws over for brunch… hopefully I’ll remember! Will post on twitter. @somekindofmom

14 | Karen at Virtually There

April 24th, 2011 at 6:10 am

I’m playing along. My first photo is up already. http://Www.krabes.blogspot.com

15 | Hourly Photo: The Easter Sunday Edition >> a peek inside the fishbowl

April 24th, 2011 at 7:22 am

[…] is my day, hour by hour, on Sunday April 24, 2011. (You can read more about this project in yesterday’s post.) Check back to see how my day progresses. Earliest photos will be at the […]

16 | kcsoupfox

April 24th, 2011 at 8:22 am

Playing along… just got on the #hourlyphoto bandwagon this morning. Let’s see where the day takes us all!

17 | Shan @ the fairyblogmother

April 24th, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I’m playing along on twitter and will post to my blog when I get the chance.

18 | Easter Photo Challenge « Kate Settle Photography

April 25th, 2011 at 1:04 am

[…] over at Quiet Fish, put out a challenge to document your Easter with a photo taken on the hour, every hour all day. […]

• Jinjer: I love that dog figurine so much!!!!
  • Dani: It's morrel season. Woot! https://photos.app.goo.gl/bE76iBETEpkDGU7w5
  • andrea tomkins: I will definitely check that out Tiana!
  • Yana: There is one near the train in Carleton Uni
  • Tiana: Oh there's a great book, if you haven't read it already - Gathering Moss by Robin Wall-Kimmerer.
  • Quail: Mushrooming is a fantastic hobby. Take a course in late September. These fun fall outings are usually very productive and often led by keen experts.
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive More about mushrooms - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] week I shared a quick recipe for mushrooms on toast. I deeply regret not running out and shoring up my mushroom supplies because I have a se

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.