26 Apr, 2011

I am vintage

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Oh! Things!|Publishing/writing/career stuff

It’s Tuesday, and on Tuesdays I am blogging over at the UsedEverywhere blog. Today I’m writing about a vintage board game we like to play.

That got me thinking about the other toys I desired and admired from afar when I was a kid, so I started poking around YouTube and found a few commercials that brought me back:

Commercials for toys sure are different today, aren’t they?

6 Responses to "I am vintage"

1 | Mark

April 26th, 2011 at 10:27 am

Interesting that they don’t show anyone getting hit with the Wham-O water wiggle. We had that toy and although I loved it more than anyone should love a piece of plastic that you screwed into the end of a garden hose, it was to say the least a very dangerous toy. I think everytime we used it someone ended up getting smashed in the face or nearly chipping a tooth. It was wild and unpredictable so you basically had a bunch of kids running to avoid getting hit by it and trying to avoid running into each other. Chaos ensued.

2 | Natalie

April 26th, 2011 at 11:58 am

Oh my gosh, the Snoopy Snow Cone machine!! Thanks for the memories :)

3 | DA

April 26th, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Funny thing is we havetwo of those in our house and they are still popular with our kids.

We have Operation (the modern version) and an old easy bake over that still gets used (tip – just use bulk barn cake mix rather than buying).

We also have the modern day version Spirograph which would fit in nicely this set of toys. Although it just doesn’t seem to work as well as the old one for me.

D.

4 | karen

April 26th, 2011 at 12:49 pm

That really made me miss my Snoopy Snow Cone machine. Mine never worked as easily as the one in the commercial, it took a lot more effort.

5 | Pauline

April 27th, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I too had the Snoopy Snow cone machine. The main toys when I was young though were She-Ra and He-Man, GI Joes, Transformers, Jem, My Little Pony and of course Cabbage Patch Kids.

Being a child in the 80s was so great!

6 | LO

May 3rd, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Super Slider Snowskates! The commercial was great but they didn’t really work! Loved Lite Brite, Operation, Parchesi (sp?)
There are a couple of stores on Queen W that carry vintage games and books. I LOVE it and get sucked in every time.
BTW anyone have an original CLUE game as I am looking to buy:)

• Sam Mangrum: Hi Andrea, I just finished reading your article "Reno post #25: Tile city" and I wanted to say thanks. I found so much value in what you had to say
  • Nora B.: So nice to see photos of J&D's beautiful cottage. A wonderful place to get away for a little while from our crazy world!
  • Luis: Never buy a Maytag appliance I have had mine for two years now and the washer and dry suck. Washer leaves soap on clothing and dry doesn’t dry.
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive Wedding anniversaries and pandemics - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] This is what we did for our anniversary last year, by the […]
  • andrea tomkins: Thank you Sally! It was so peaceful... very restorative. I look forward to our camping trips every year!
  • andrea tomkins: Hmmm. Perhaps I didn't use the right term in my post? They're inflatable pool floats, but they are a mattress shape, if you know what I mean! I amende
  • Brien Marshall: This post has transported me back to camping on Lake Opinicon in the 70s. Air mattresses were the classic blue-on-one-side/red-on-the-other-side canv