06 Apr, 2011

Quickie Q about U

Posted by andrea tomkins in: technical stuff

Edited to add: Thank you to everyone who filled out this survey! It turns out that basic freebie account can only view the first 100 responses. That, along with a case of General Survey Wonkiness, is why I closed it earlier than I had planned.

It is interesting to note that almost 84% of people who responded have children… the vast majority of whom are under 12. This isn’t news to me, but it is kind of cool to see the numbers!

Thanks again for your help!

Dear Fishies,

Can you take a moment to fill out a very quick anonymous survey? I’ve posted this here for two reasons. (1) I’m tinkering with SurveyMonkey for a client and (2) I figured I might as well ask something useful and learn more about who is reading. :)

[survey link has been removed]

Print this post Print this post

11 Responses to "Quickie Q about U"

1 | Just An Ottawa Dad

April 6th, 2011 at 8:10 am

Interesting result on the children’s ages. Either 12 and below, or over 19…

Of course, this could just be when I am taking it…

2 | Lee

April 6th, 2011 at 11:01 am

Done!

(Curious. I submitted the comment “Done!” and the page said “Sorry your comment is a bit too short. Go back and try again.” Or something similar. )

3 | binki

April 6th, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Your readers are mostly parents.

4 | Sarah

April 6th, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Too bad they won’t let us see the results of the open ended question. It would have been interesting to know, too, how old these parents are (gauging from the ages of their kids) — and how many kids they have! (That’s my inner gossip speaking.

Anyway, this was a cool survey — because it’s so short! I think I’ll put one on my blog as well :-)

5 | Sarah

April 6th, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Oh, there it is! I didn’t notice the second page until now. Hey, none of your readers have more than 4 kids? Interesting.

April 6th, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Lee – my comment widget doesn’t allow for one word comments. And I can’t seem to change that. If/when I have time I might see about an upgrade.

binki – I’ve always known that most Fishbowl readers were parents, but this was almost entirely based on the feedback I’ve received. It’s neat to have a number in mind as I go along.

Sarah – glad you figured it out. I’m not too surprised that the results should no one has more than four kids. Those people are too busy to take the survey! :)

7 | Natalie

April 6th, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Andrea, just thought you’d want to know, the survey went all wonky on me. Don’t think it registered my answers and then the results page looked like the coding was all wrong…

8 | Lee

April 6th, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Andrea: No kidding! Guess I’ve never come and tried to leave a “First!” comment!

9 | Fiona

April 6th, 2011 at 9:23 pm

The survey wouldn’t load properly for me; something about a slow-running script.

10 | neeroc

April 7th, 2011 at 7:24 am

Survey didn’t work for me, I was unable to select a radio button for the first question.

April 7th, 2011 at 8:50 am

Weird. Am looking into wonkiness. Thank you for your reports!

NAC Ottawa family events

Summertime fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

bucketlist

etc.

• Colleen: It does sound fun, but a bit steep for my family.
  • andrea: We have winners! Dinner #1 on July 24 was won by nathalie d. Dinner #2 on August 21 was won by Madga. Congratulations! Thank you Saunders Farm
  • TD: This is something I have been considering, so a group outing would be great.
  • Allison: I found out about this quarry from some friends. Another friend and I are planning on going there tomorrow (July 23rd) as it's gonna be really, REALLY
  • Jenny: Wonderful advice!
  • Olivewood: Andrea inspires yet another project! What would we do without her?! I kept thinking about this post/idea and (finally) made myself a little family
  • Bruce: Awesome goody!!! I love to try "Farm Dinner #1: July 24"!!! Thank you!!!

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 752 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #
  • I'm over at the MediaSmarts blog today, putting together the online privacy puzzle.

- #
  • I had a really interesting conversation with my 14-year-old daughter recently. She was wondering why so many adults assume that teenagers are all the same: a bunch of lazy, self-involved jokers who are glued to their devices all day. I didn’t have an answer for her, really, only that people tend to generalize, and that this is Never a Good Thing, no matter who it is we’re talking about. [Read the rest at MediaSmarts.ca]

- #

A year before

• 2013-07-22 No articles on this date.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: