06 Apr, 2011

Quickie Q about U

Posted by andrea tomkins in: technical stuff

Edited to add: Thank you to everyone who filled out this survey! It turns out that basic freebie account can only view the first 100 responses. That, along with a case of General Survey Wonkiness, is why I closed it earlier than I had planned.

It is interesting to note that almost 84% of people who responded have children… the vast majority of whom are under 12. This isn’t news to me, but it is kind of cool to see the numbers!

Thanks again for your help!

Dear Fishies,

Can you take a moment to fill out a very quick anonymous survey? I’ve posted this here for two reasons. (1) I’m tinkering with SurveyMonkey for a client and (2) I figured I might as well ask something useful and learn more about who is reading. :)

[survey link has been removed]

Print this post Print this post

11 Responses to "Quickie Q about U"

1 | Just An Ottawa Dad

April 6th, 2011 at 8:10 am

Interesting result on the children’s ages. Either 12 and below, or over 19…

Of course, this could just be when I am taking it…

2 | Lee

April 6th, 2011 at 11:01 am

Done!

(Curious. I submitted the comment “Done!” and the page said “Sorry your comment is a bit too short. Go back and try again.” Or something similar. )

3 | binki

April 6th, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Your readers are mostly parents.

4 | Sarah

April 6th, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Too bad they won’t let us see the results of the open ended question. It would have been interesting to know, too, how old these parents are (gauging from the ages of their kids) — and how many kids they have! (That’s my inner gossip speaking.

Anyway, this was a cool survey — because it’s so short! I think I’ll put one on my blog as well :-)

5 | Sarah

April 6th, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Oh, there it is! I didn’t notice the second page until now. Hey, none of your readers have more than 4 kids? Interesting.

April 6th, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Lee – my comment widget doesn’t allow for one word comments. And I can’t seem to change that. If/when I have time I might see about an upgrade.

binki – I’ve always known that most Fishbowl readers were parents, but this was almost entirely based on the feedback I’ve received. It’s neat to have a number in mind as I go along.

Sarah – glad you figured it out. I’m not too surprised that the results should no one has more than four kids. Those people are too busy to take the survey! :)

7 | Natalie

April 6th, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Andrea, just thought you’d want to know, the survey went all wonky on me. Don’t think it registered my answers and then the results page looked like the coding was all wrong…

8 | Lee

April 6th, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Andrea: No kidding! Guess I’ve never come and tried to leave a “First!” comment!

9 | Fiona

April 6th, 2011 at 9:23 pm

The survey wouldn’t load properly for me; something about a slow-running script.

10 | neeroc

April 7th, 2011 at 7:24 am

Survey didn’t work for me, I was unable to select a radio button for the first question.

April 7th, 2011 at 8:50 am

Weird. Am looking into wonkiness. Thank you for your reports!

NAC Ottawa family events

Fall family fun fun at Saunders Farm!

Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Holiday shopping at terra20 - Ottawa

Nepean Visual Arts Centre

Visit tThe Village Quire in Westboro Ottawa!

bucketlist

etc.

• andrea tomkins: She's getting a bath! It's a weekly thing with prescription shampoo. She doesn't love it, as you can probably tell. :)
  • Javamom: Piper in the tub because: a) she heard thunder and hid there during the storm, b) she is getting a bath or c) you planted her there for the picture ju
  • Meaghan: My 4YO daughter wanted a Princess Leia action figure to go with her brother's Star Wars collection. The only one there is is Leia as a slave. A slave!
  • Alina: I recently bought this weaving kit for my 5-year old son and he loves it: http://toys.scholarschoice.ca/multi-craft-weaving-loom-melissa-doug.html
  • Peady: I love this post! This is the exact kind of "stuff" we do with the Things and it can be and all year round focus. Christmastime is a great time
  • Lynn: At World Trivia Night last year there was a question about that burnt toast heritage minute - you had to name the doctor. I think someone on our team
  • Shan: That was my goal for the year, but I really lost my way. Not sure why, but why not start today? Thanks for the reminder!

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 875 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• My latest post on the MediaSmarts website is up, and it's about family social media accounts. (Yes! It's a thing! And I think it's pretty neat.) Is this something you do as a family? I'd love it if you left your two cents on the topic.

- #
  • I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

On this date in the archives

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: