06 Apr, 2011

Quickie Q about U

Posted by andrea tomkins in: technical stuff

Edited to add: Thank you to everyone who filled out this survey! It turns out that basic freebie account can only view the first 100 responses. That, along with a case of General Survey Wonkiness, is why I closed it earlier than I had planned.

It is interesting to note that almost 84% of people who responded have children… the vast majority of whom are under 12. This isn’t news to me, but it is kind of cool to see the numbers!

Thanks again for your help!

Dear Fishies,

Can you take a moment to fill out a very quick anonymous survey? I’ve posted this here for two reasons. (1) I’m tinkering with SurveyMonkey for a client and (2) I figured I might as well ask something useful and learn more about who is reading. :)

[survey link has been removed]

Print this post Print this post

11 Responses to "Quickie Q about U"

1 | Just An Ottawa Dad

April 6th, 2011 at 8:10 am

Interesting result on the children’s ages. Either 12 and below, or over 19…

Of course, this could just be when I am taking it…

2 | Lee

April 6th, 2011 at 11:01 am

Done!

(Curious. I submitted the comment “Done!” and the page said “Sorry your comment is a bit too short. Go back and try again.” Or something similar. )

3 | binki

April 6th, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Your readers are mostly parents.

4 | Sarah

April 6th, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Too bad they won’t let us see the results of the open ended question. It would have been interesting to know, too, how old these parents are (gauging from the ages of their kids) — and how many kids they have! (That’s my inner gossip speaking.

Anyway, this was a cool survey — because it’s so short! I think I’ll put one on my blog as well :-)

5 | Sarah

April 6th, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Oh, there it is! I didn’t notice the second page until now. Hey, none of your readers have more than 4 kids? Interesting.

April 6th, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Lee – my comment widget doesn’t allow for one word comments. And I can’t seem to change that. If/when I have time I might see about an upgrade.

binki – I’ve always known that most Fishbowl readers were parents, but this was almost entirely based on the feedback I’ve received. It’s neat to have a number in mind as I go along.

Sarah – glad you figured it out. I’m not too surprised that the results should no one has more than four kids. Those people are too busy to take the survey! :)

7 | Natalie

April 6th, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Andrea, just thought you’d want to know, the survey went all wonky on me. Don’t think it registered my answers and then the results page looked like the coding was all wrong…

8 | Lee

April 6th, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Andrea: No kidding! Guess I’ve never come and tried to leave a “First!” comment!

9 | Fiona

April 6th, 2011 at 9:23 pm

The survey wouldn’t load properly for me; something about a slow-running script.

10 | neeroc

April 7th, 2011 at 7:24 am

Survey didn’t work for me, I was unable to select a radio button for the first question.

April 7th, 2011 at 8:50 am

Weird. Am looking into wonkiness. Thank you for your reports!

NAC Ottawa family events

Fall family fun fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Litterless lunch solutions at terra20

Zen Kitchen is open! Use code FISHBOWL for free dessert

Nepean Visual Arts Centre

Visit tThe Village Quire in Westboro Ottawa!

bucketlist

etc.

• andrea tomkins: I'm grateful too, very much so. Our day had a happy ending. Mark arrived home from work, the girls came home from school at the usual time, and it
  • Safe and Sound: To me and no doubt others out there, the thunderous gun battle video is incredible because we see law enforcement officers running towards this hell.
  • andrea tomkins: Hi Brenda, I suggest you contact PC Plus about changing your account information. You can do that right here:  https://www.pcplus.ca/loyalty-help.
  • Brenda: I always received an email saying it ws time to Load My Points for the week and it was very simple to just make one click of the mouse and my bonus po
  • andrea tomkins: The winner is commenter #52, Lynn Vandenbroeck, who wrote: "I host weekly board game nights. I would love to allow the group to enjoy some new boa
  • Elnaz S: I would splurge on board games! Apples to Apples, Pandemic, Trivial Pursuit..so many to choose from!
  • Mel: my kids love playmobil. This would help with the Christmas list. thanks for the chance!

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 845 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #
  • My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

On this date in the archives

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: