18 May, 2011

I’m already planning iced tea for Saturday

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

Iced tea reminds me of summer. This week has not felt very summery at all. The wall-to-wall cloudcover is killing me softly. That’s why I’m looking forward to Saturday. They’re forecasting sun, and I’m hanging on to that forecast with everything I can muster.

The other day I realized that if I made a two-cup measure of tea I can drink one cup while it’s hot in the morning and stick the rest of it in the fridge for afternoon consumption. Smart eh?

Iced tea

It’s pretty simple, and MILES better than the powdered stuff you buy in the can. (WTH is that stuff made of anyway?) Boil some water, add your teabag of choice and as much lemon juice and honey as you like. Voila.

No wonder it reminds me of summer. There is ACTUAL SUN in this measuring cup:

Iced tea

It is lovely served with lemon ice, and/or when it’s made in a retro coffee carafe.

Oh where are you Saturday?

Tags: ,

6 Responses to "I’m already planning iced tea for Saturday"

1 | Ryan

May 18th, 2011 at 12:09 pm

When I was living in Taiwan, we’d go to the market and get bags of loose tea to make big batches – green, fruit, flower. Put it in a 2 L bottle with a little honey and it keeps for a week or so in the fridge – absolutely refreshing in the summer!

2 | Stacey

May 18th, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Sun tea is a fun science experiment as well as a great summer drink. Place 5 or 6 tea bags in a big glass jug of cold water. Cover with lid or plastic wrap. Place in a sunny spot for 4 or 5 hours. The kids like watching the tea diffuse through the water and feeling how hot the water actually gets by the time it is done.

While the tea is still hot, add honey or sugar to your desired level of sweetness. Refrigerate and serve with ice/lemon.

3 | Mary @ Parenthood

May 18th, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I don’t mind the cloud cover; it’s the constant wet that is a problem!

4 | Javamom

May 19th, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Yesterday the sun came out for something like 2 hours. All of a sudden there were oodles of kids on my driveway…and my neighbour and I were sipping a glass of wine while supervising. Then…the clouds/fog and endless drizzle came back and everyone disappeared indoors again.

If Ottawa gets sun, maybe Toronto will get some too!! Here’s to ice tea on Saturday!

5 | Katarina

May 23rd, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Oooohhhh this looks so great! I can’t believe I just found your blog, given that we are both i O-town…glad I did, it’s lovely!
Love K

6 | Lara

May 27th, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Oh this is making me crave the lovely weather that is supposed to come on Sunday. thanks for sharing! could use a pick me up with this crap weather this week. :D

• Jinjer: I love that dog figurine so much!!!!
  • Dani: It's morrel season. Woot! https://photos.app.goo.gl/bE76iBETEpkDGU7w5
  • andrea tomkins: I will definitely check that out Tiana!
  • Yana: There is one near the train in Carleton Uni
  • Tiana: Oh there's a great book, if you haven't read it already - Gathering Moss by Robin Wall-Kimmerer.
  • Quail: Mushrooming is a fantastic hobby. Take a course in late September. These fun fall outings are usually very productive and often led by keen experts.
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive More about mushrooms - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] week I shared a quick recipe for mushrooms on toast. I deeply regret not running out and shoring up my mushroom supplies because I have a se

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.