22 Sep, 2011

Reno post#16 – Full frontals! And then some!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Home/reno

Our architect sent us revised exterior mockups based on our revised designs. And I like them. I really like them.

They were sent in a 3D-modelling format called Google Sketchup, so we are able to see the renderings from all angles. Sketchup also has a neat feature in which I can see exactly where the sunlight will be hitting the house, any day of the year, any time of the day.

But these are just screen shots. Nothin’ 3D about these things… but you can click to embiggen!

front view ... with carport

side view

The other side

And there are two options for the rear view. Which do you like better?

Rear view option 1

Rear view option 2

A few things:

– In terms of cladding we’re considering a dark grey Hardiplank (which is a fibre-cement board). There are a couple houses in our neighbourhood that are done up with these and I really like them.

– Also, what do you think of the car port that’s not really a car port? It’s a pergola with storage in it! Do you think it’d be feasible to tuck a sheet of clear acrylic underneath the open roof… something to allow vines to grow along it (this is our plan – we have grapes!) and make the space underneath a bit more waterproof?

Your thoughts, as always, are welcome!

9 Responses to "Reno post#16 – Full frontals! And then some!"

1 | Sara

September 22nd, 2011 at 5:11 pm

So fantastic! It’s amazing what a difference it makes when you can see a mock-up and not just read a description. My vote is for the first rear view of the house – makes me think “Cape Code”

2 | Carly

September 22nd, 2011 at 7:34 pm

So cool! I too like the first option for the rear view of the house. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

3 | Natalie

September 22nd, 2011 at 9:07 pm

How exciting!! I think it looks great and my vote is also for the first option for the rear view. Cleaner lines. Less cluttered. Also looks like the left window is larger.

4 | Nadine

September 22nd, 2011 at 9:48 pm

This is beautiful ! Love the huge windows in the back !!! The grapevine idea is also very cool !

5 | Nadine

September 22nd, 2011 at 9:50 pm

…oh and I also like the first option for the rear of the house as it makes the windows seem even larger .

6 | FireMom

September 23rd, 2011 at 8:29 am

I prefer the second option for rear view. :)

And it’s just lovely!

7 | Kate

September 23rd, 2011 at 11:52 am

Agree with everyone, View #1 is beautiful ..it gets my vote.. Keep us posted with your decision.

8 | binki

September 23rd, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Sketchup is amazing. Did they provide the design for the interior also? Walking around inside your house before the work has started is an incredible digital experience (one of the top 5 digital experiences of my life).

Looks good. Instead of the acrylic layer solution, simply let the vines grow up to the roof (beams). The vines will grow in/on/through it. It’ll look fantastic…. And no winter /heavy rain issues with the acrylic. Go to Little Italy to see excellent solutions for growing grape vines on pergolas or suspended rope/wire.

9 | vanessa

September 26th, 2011 at 4:40 pm

i agree th e 2nd view is better , the 1st is larger in scale and slightly deceptive but the matching upper and lower lines of the 2nd has a stronger style -google sketch gets the thumbs up

• link alternatif formasiqq: We're Australia's largest supply of expert critiques based on unbiased evcaluation and rigofous testing.
  • andrea tomkins: Thanks Lynn! I'm all about keepin' it real here. :) There's no point glossing over the fact that it took me three days to get over our jet lag, but I
  • Lynn: Last time I was at the one in Kanata, they didn't have any of the giant popcorn (which I am embarrassed to admit, makes up at least 25% of my at-home
  • Lynn: I'm really enjoying your Thailand series but I have to say, it is not inspiring me to travel at all. I am a terrible, stressed out, freaked out travel
  • Lynn: And this is why I just cannot bring myself to leave Canada. You are superheroes!
  • Jinjer: OMGgggggg I would've died on the spot I'm so terrified of bugs. YOur daughter is brave, reaching in there to remove the bag of nuts. And she must REAL
  • barristers: I have been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this blog. Thank you, I will try and check back more often. How frequently