30 Dec, 2011

Christmas 2011 is officially a wrap

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy

This is a bit late in the game, I know, but for personal scrapbooky reasons I do like to write about our yearly Christmas adventures.

This year, more than ever, we decided to pare it down. Looking ahead to our renovation we realized we needed (a) to save some money and (b) bring fewer things into the house. And I think we did ok on both counts.

Which brings us to Christmas morning.

Amazingly, the girls were paying attention when I (half-jokingly) asked them to not wake us before 7:00 a.m.

Here they are, waiting for us to get up, at 7:02 a.m.:

waiting

Our routine always goes like this:

1) Kids get up first, and wake us up.
2) They wait until we’re ready to go downstairs. (This takes a very LONG two or three minutes.)
3) Stockings are opened.
4) Mark and I make coffee.
5) Gift opening commences.

I didn’t get a good shot of the stockings, but they were full of great stuff. (I think they are my favourite part of Christmas morning.) The girls got nesting dolls, windup toys, gum, tic-tacs and other candy, nail polish and nail stickers, lip gloss and bubble bath, earrings (Emma) and a bracelet (Sarah), comic books and magazines, plush Angry birds, gift cards (Sarah got one for Naked Fish Sushi), and Lego figurines. Mark and I only exchanged stockings. I got wool socks, a hat:

new hat

… chocolate, a milk frother, and a case for my iPhone. Mark got some magazines, a tiny Meccano set, a scarf, smart-phone gloves, a book, and lots of chocolate and candy.

The girls made our gift this year. It’s made out of white chocolate and red icing. :)

gift

Sarah bought Emma some Playmobil, and Emma bought Sarah a pretty scarf… and she hasn’t taken it off since:

Emma's gift to Sarah

We bought Sarah a fun ear warmer. It still cracks me up:

My favourite gift

… and a Perplexus, which is driving me crazy:

Perplexus

Emma finally got a lava lamp:

lava lamp!

… and a board game (Cranium, and it’s VERY fun):

game

What else? Pjs, Wii games, hats and slippers, and books. Even Piper got something. I think she’s proud of her new collar:

new collar for Piper

After Part One was over we hustled over to Mark’s parents for breakfast:

Cinnamon buns!

And then, with coffees in hand, we settled under the tree for more unwrapping. Mark’s parents bought each girl an iPod touch (!). Here they are at the moment of recognition:

iPods!

Lucky girls eh? There were other things too: games, canvasses and paints, crafty stuff, more books, and fuzzy blankets… oh, I’ve lost track already.

We sat around, played with our toys and snacked until it was time for dinner. The dogs happily fought over huge candy cane-shaped rawhides and played in the snow:

A frozen hot dog

Soon it was turkey time:

Waiting for dinner

And later we waddled home with full tummies and an equally full trunk. What a joyous Christmas. I hope you all had a lovely Christmas too!

Print this post Print this post

6 Responses to "Christmas 2011 is officially a wrap"

1 | Cora Brady

December 30th, 2011 at 10:29 am

Sounds like a perfect Christmas for you and your family! Glad to hear it and enjoyed the great pics of your beautiful family.
Wishing you a Happy New Year.

Cora

2 | Cora Brady

December 30th, 2011 at 10:29 am

ps – am i missing something on the “2010″ vs. “2011″ ?

December 30th, 2011 at 10:37 am

Haha! Fixed. :)

4 | Joy

December 30th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Love the ear warmer! Are you able to reveal where you found that ?

5 | Ginger

December 30th, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I like your iPhone case! I need to find one…my mom and dad got me an iPhone4 for Christmas which was a HUGE surprise!

December 31st, 2011 at 10:14 am

Joy – The ear warmer is from Clare’s at Bayshore.
Ginger – Exciting! My case is a Kate Spade case and Mark bought it at the Apple store. You can buy them online here. :)

NAC Ottawa family events

Fall family fun fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Litterless lunch solutions at terra20

Zen Kitchen is open! Use code FISHBOWL for free dessert

Nepean Visual Arts Centre

Visit tThe Village Quire in Westboro Ottawa!

bucketlist

etc.

• andrea tomkins: I'm grateful too, very much so. Our day had a happy ending. Mark arrived home from work, the girls came home from school at the usual time, and it
  • Safe and Sound: To me and no doubt others out there, the thunderous gun battle video is incredible because we see law enforcement officers running towards this hell.
  • andrea tomkins: Hi Brenda, I suggest you contact PC Plus about changing your account information. You can do that right here:  https://www.pcplus.ca/loyalty-help.
  • Brenda: I always received an email saying it ws time to Load My Points for the week and it was very simple to just make one click of the mouse and my bonus po
  • andrea tomkins: The winner is commenter #52, Lynn Vandenbroeck, who wrote: "I host weekly board game nights. I would love to allow the group to enjoy some new boa
  • Elnaz S: I would splurge on board games! Apples to Apples, Pandemic, Trivial Pursuit..so many to choose from!
  • Mel: my kids love playmobil. This would help with the Christmas list. thanks for the chance!

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 845 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #
  • My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: