30 Dec, 2011

Christmas 2011 is officially a wrap

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy

This is a bit late in the game, I know, but for personal scrapbooky reasons I do like to write about our yearly Christmas adventures.

This year, more than ever, we decided to pare it down. Looking ahead to our renovation we realized we needed (a) to save some money and (b) bring fewer things into the house. And I think we did ok on both counts.

Which brings us to Christmas morning.

Amazingly, the girls were paying attention when I (half-jokingly) asked them to not wake us before 7:00 a.m.

Here they are, waiting for us to get up, at 7:02 a.m.:

Our routine always goes like this:

1) Kids get up first, and wake us up.
2) They wait until we’re ready to go downstairs. (This takes a very LONG two or three minutes.)
3) Stockings are opened.
4) Mark and I make coffee.
5) Gift opening commences.

I didn’t get a good shot of the stockings, but they were full of great stuff. (I think they are my favourite part of Christmas morning.) The girls got nesting dolls, windup toys, gum, tic-tacs and other candy, nail polish and nail stickers, lip gloss and bubble bath, earrings (Emma) and a bracelet (Sarah), comic books and magazines, plush Angry birds, gift cards (Sarah got one for Naked Fish Sushi), and Lego figurines. Mark and I only exchanged stockings. I got wool socks, a hat:

new hat

… chocolate, a milk frother, and a case for my iPhone. Mark got some magazines, a tiny Meccano set, a scarf, smart-phone gloves, a book, and lots of chocolate and candy.

The girls made our gift this year. It’s made out of white chocolate and red icing. :)

Sarah bought Emma some Playmobil, and Emma bought Sarah a pretty scarf… and she hasn’t taken it off since:

Emma's gift to Sarah

We bought Sarah a fun ear warmer. It still cracks me up:

My favourite gift

… and a Perplexus, which is driving me crazy:

Emma finally got a lava lamp:

lava lamp!

… and a board game (Cranium, and it’s VERY fun):

What else? Pjs, Wii games, hats and slippers, and books. Even Piper got something. I think she’s proud of her new collar:

new collar for Piper

After Part One was over we hustled over to Mark’s parents for breakfast:

Cinnamon buns!

And then, with coffees in hand, we settled under the tree for more unwrapping. Mark’s parents bought each girl an iPod touch (!). Here they are at the moment of recognition:

Lucky girls eh? There were other things too: games, canvasses and paints, crafty stuff, more books, and fuzzy blankets… oh, I’ve lost track already.

We sat around, played with our toys and snacked until it was time for dinner. The dogs happily fought over huge candy cane-shaped rawhides and played in the snow:

A frozen hot dog

Soon it was turkey time:

Waiting for dinner

And later we waddled home with full tummies and an equally full trunk. What a joyous Christmas. I hope you all had a lovely Christmas too!

6 Responses to "Christmas 2011 is officially a wrap"

1 | Cora Brady

December 30th, 2011 at 10:29 am

Sounds like a perfect Christmas for you and your family! Glad to hear it and enjoyed the great pics of your beautiful family.
Wishing you a Happy New Year.

2 | Cora Brady

December 30th, 2011 at 10:29 am

ps – am i missing something on the “2010” vs. “2011” ?

December 30th, 2011 at 10:37 am

Haha! Fixed. :)

4 | Joy

December 30th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Love the ear warmer! Are you able to reveal where you found that ?

5 | Ginger

December 30th, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I like your iPhone case! I need to find one…my mom and dad got me an iPhone4 for Christmas which was a HUGE surprise!

December 31st, 2011 at 10:14 am

Joy – The ear warmer is from Clare’s at Bayshore.
Ginger – Exciting! My case is a Kate Spade case and Mark bought it at the Apple store. You can buy them online here. :)

Expert lice removal services in Ottawa with Lice Services Canada

• Amy: A friend of mine makes tomato soup by taking a can of tomatoes, blending them a bit, and thickening it with flour or cornstarch.
  • James Hale: Long time, no speak. Jo and I love Terra20. Looking forward to your writing there. Speaking of diets, we've been doing keto since October, feeling gre
  • andrea tomkins: Lisa, I just LOVE the idea of cheeseburgers for breakfast. Sounds like the perfect hot meal, especially for growing kids!
  • andrea tomkins: The amount of sugar in grocery store products is positively astounding. Caesar salad dressing! Pita crisps! Ketchup! Battered fish! I wish I had a bet
  • Amy: I've recently been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, it's made me take a lot harder look at all the sugar in my diet. Even though I was trying to
  • Lisa from Iroqouis: I have no problem with ribs for breakfast. I love leftovers in the morning. No fuss no muss. Isn't that what leftover Chinese food and pizza is for
  • andrea tomkins: Food traditions are so interesting! I could continue to eat like this, but meat is my stumbling block. I would prefer to eat less of it, not more. I c