30 Dec, 2011

Christmas 2011 is officially a wrap

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy

This is a bit late in the game, I know, but for personal scrapbooky reasons I do like to write about our yearly Christmas adventures.

This year, more than ever, we decided to pare it down. Looking ahead to our renovation we realized we needed (a) to save some money and (b) bring fewer things into the house. And I think we did ok on both counts.

Which brings us to Christmas morning.

Amazingly, the girls were paying attention when I (half-jokingly) asked them to not wake us before 7:00 a.m.

Here they are, waiting for us to get up, at 7:02 a.m.:

waiting

Our routine always goes like this:

1) Kids get up first, and wake us up.
2) They wait until we’re ready to go downstairs. (This takes a very LONG two or three minutes.)
3) Stockings are opened.
4) Mark and I make coffee.
5) Gift opening commences.

I didn’t get a good shot of the stockings, but they were full of great stuff. (I think they are my favourite part of Christmas morning.) The girls got nesting dolls, windup toys, gum, tic-tacs and other candy, nail polish and nail stickers, lip gloss and bubble bath, earrings (Emma) and a bracelet (Sarah), comic books and magazines, plush Angry birds, gift cards (Sarah got one for Naked Fish Sushi), and Lego figurines. Mark and I only exchanged stockings. I got wool socks, a hat:

new hat

… chocolate, a milk frother, and a case for my iPhone. Mark got some magazines, a tiny Meccano set, a scarf, smart-phone gloves, a book, and lots of chocolate and candy.

The girls made our gift this year. It’s made out of white chocolate and red icing. :)

gift

Sarah bought Emma some Playmobil, and Emma bought Sarah a pretty scarf… and she hasn’t taken it off since:

Emma's gift to Sarah

We bought Sarah a fun ear warmer. It still cracks me up:

My favourite gift

… and a Perplexus, which is driving me crazy:

Perplexus

Emma finally got a lava lamp:

lava lamp!

… and a board game (Cranium, and it’s VERY fun):

game

What else? Pjs, Wii games, hats and slippers, and books. Even Piper got something. I think she’s proud of her new collar:

new collar for Piper

After Part One was over we hustled over to Mark’s parents for breakfast:

Cinnamon buns!

And then, with coffees in hand, we settled under the tree for more unwrapping. Mark’s parents bought each girl an iPod touch (!). Here they are at the moment of recognition:

iPods!

Lucky girls eh? There were other things too: games, canvasses and paints, crafty stuff, more books, and fuzzy blankets… oh, I’ve lost track already.

We sat around, played with our toys and snacked until it was time for dinner. The dogs happily fought over huge candy cane-shaped rawhides and played in the snow:

A frozen hot dog

Soon it was turkey time:

Waiting for dinner

And later we waddled home with full tummies and an equally full trunk. What a joyous Christmas. I hope you all had a lovely Christmas too!

Print this post Print this post

6 Responses to "Christmas 2011 is officially a wrap"

1 | Cora Brady

December 30th, 2011 at 10:29 am

Sounds like a perfect Christmas for you and your family! Glad to hear it and enjoyed the great pics of your beautiful family.
Wishing you a Happy New Year.

Cora

2 | Cora Brady

December 30th, 2011 at 10:29 am

ps – am i missing something on the “2010″ vs. “2011″ ?

December 30th, 2011 at 10:37 am

Haha! Fixed. :)

4 | Joy

December 30th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Love the ear warmer! Are you able to reveal where you found that ?

5 | Ginger

December 30th, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I like your iPhone case! I need to find one…my mom and dad got me an iPhone4 for Christmas which was a HUGE surprise!

December 31st, 2011 at 10:14 am

Joy – The ear warmer is from Clare’s at Bayshore.
Ginger – Exciting! My case is a Kate Spade case and Mark bought it at the Apple store. You can buy them online here. :)

NAC Ottawa family events

Saunders Farm annual passes for family fun!

Arctic Voices, Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Sustainable shopping at terra20 - Ottawa

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

Picture of a boy with the Parenting in Ottawa bilingual logo. Ad links to Ottawa Public Healths Parenting in Ottawa website.

bucketlist

• Holiday to Punta Cana, part two. The food! >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] (Psst! Read the first part of this post here.) […]
  • andrea tomkins: I do too binkee! But it sure is nice to get away from it every once in awhile. :)
  • lynn clayton: ive never taken my son to the nac so this would be a nice first for us
  • Molly van der schee: We would absolutely love the chance to go! What a great opportunity for us all to try something new!
  • Sarah at Journeys of The Zoo: I have taken my kids to the NAC for Culture Day 2014 and they loved it. We have never been to a show but it's on our bucket list. Our whole family lov
  • binkee: I like Canadian seasons. I skate in the winter and eat local strawberries in the summer.
  • Natalie: Hi Andrea, I would love to win these! And yes, I've taken the kids to the NAC - since they were little. The orchestra, the Nutcracker and the Magic Fl

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• So I was feeling a bit ranty and wrote this post about raising children in an age of zero privacy in the hopes it will start some conversations! Please leave your two cents right here.

- #
  • My latest post on the MediaSmarts website is up, and it's about family social media accounts. (Yes! It's a thing! And I think it's pretty neat.) Is this something you do as a family? I'd love it if you left your two cents on the topic.

- #
  • I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.