15 Jan, 2012

A new blogging habit: Leave comments on Sundays

Posted by andrea tomkins in: The business of blogging

commit-to-commentsWhat is a comment worth?

Comments are gold for a blogger. It means someone is paying attention and that we are not shouting in the wind. I don’t measure the worth of a blog post by the number of comments it receives anymore, although I used to. I write primarily for myself, and the truth is that if my bit of writing satisfies something within me that’s all that matters. And I recognize that people are busy. Something else to think about … now more than ever there are an infinite number of places to leave comments. The digital landscape was different twelve years ago. There was no YouTube, Facebook or Twitter, there were few interactive newspaper or magazine sites, and blogs were few and far between. Oh sure, there were forums and bulletin boards, but the use of them wasn’t mainstream.

Blog comments were more plentiful a few years ago. With the increased number of places to interact with, the number of blog comments have dropped. After all, some people don’t even get past Facebook. Time is limited. This I get. It is limited for me too, more than ever.

I don’t always tap out a blog post on Sundays. Sometimes I do, but not always. As I was scrolling though my Twitter feed this morning it occurred to me that instead of writing a blog post on Sundays it might be a better idea to get in the habit of grabbing a coffee and using that time to read other blogs and comment on them instead.

I would love to be able to do this everyday, but with a recently increased workload (among other things), it hasn’t always worked out. I do read blogs during the work week, but leaving a pithy comment beyond “great post!” is sometimes more effort than I care to think about.

That’s why I declare Sundays to be Check Out Five Blogs And Leave A Comment Day. You with me?

I’m starting with five of my favourites today:

Cheaper Than Therapy
Larawellman.com
A Little Bit of Momsense
Coffee With Julie
Turtlehead

You may copy my five or choose your own. Choose big blogs, small blogs, old blogs, new blogs, family blogs! Next week I’ll quietly go and pick another five. It’s a great way to build community, and I think we should all be doing more of it. :)

What do you think? Join me, and let me know where you’re going to leave your golden comments today. :)

Tags:

Print this post Print this post

50 Responses to "A new blogging habit: Leave comments on Sundays"

1 | Rebecca

January 15th, 2012 at 10:01 am

aw, I am honoured to be on that list!!

Sunday is a great day for reading and comments – it’s usually quiet in the morning around our place so I’m going to make that effort too. Look, I’ve started with this one :) Awesome idea!

2 | Jen @littlemissmocha

January 15th, 2012 at 10:04 am

This is such a thoughtful idea, and Sunday might be just the right day to do it. Most of us have a window of time that we spend online, sipping coffee or just waking up. Why not spend a few of those moments enjoying our community and what they’ve been creating?

And if it encourages keeping work to the workweek, and enjoyment on a Sunday, I like it. ; )

Enjoy your reading!

3 | Giulia

January 15th, 2012 at 10:19 am

I’m pretty good about leaving comments, as long as there aren’t too many hurdles such as five log-ins, verifications and moderation I’m usually game to leave comments every day, not always on the same blogs, just the posts that speak to me or that ask specific questions.
I also find it more pleasing as a commenter to see that the blog author does answer/interact with their commenters…it makes all the difference.
So, yes, comments are gold to a blogger, but a blogger involved in their own comment section is worth platinum.

4 | Alicia

January 15th, 2012 at 10:41 am

This is brilliant. There are so many posts I want to comment on that I never get around to during the week. I’ll be joining you on Sundays. Thanks!

5 | Sherry

January 15th, 2012 at 10:58 am

I’m starting with this blog right here. :) I love this idea. As a blogger myself I know how important comments are. While I write primarily for the sake of record-keeping, I must admit it’s sad to write something and then hear the proverbial crickets chirping but even so I’ve still gotten lazy with commenting for other blogs. I think part of it is likely because I read the majority of my blogs in Google Reader.

I also need to get into a habit of being better with responses to comments I do get on my on blog as Giulia said. Not every comment requires a reply, but I should definitely interact more with the ones that could use a response.

I will now make an effort to comment on at least four other blogs!

6 | Natasha

January 15th, 2012 at 10:58 am

I have always wanted to set aside a day to make comments and catch up on my reading but I always get side tracked. I think setting aside a particular day is a fantastic idea. Sunday is a perfect day because you can get caught up on the week and start fresh on Monday.
Happy reading!

7 | Jen

January 15th, 2012 at 11:10 am

Great idea! I visit so many blogs, think that I’ll go back and comment and never get the chance…this is a great way to commit to commenting. Cheers!

8 | Vivian Cheng

January 15th, 2012 at 11:20 am

This is a great idea! I agree with your observation about all the different ways to interact. Sometimes I have something to say about something you’ve posted (or pinned!) and I reply via Twitter instead. :)

I find there’s a little more pressure in leaving blog comments because they’re more ‘permanent’ than say a tweet or a Facebook reply that can be deleted or re-phrased. And often pre-coffee my thoughts aren’t coherent enough to face that ;)

9 | Lynn

January 15th, 2012 at 11:22 am

I’ve also noticed that between Twitter, Facebook, and Flickr, it’s creating a bit of a comment competition. WordPress in particular is trying hard these days to promote subscribing to blogs by email, and I think that’s even worse for encouraging comments than reading through a reader.

But I still comment, and love my comments, and love to read blogs. Thanks so much for the link, I really appreciate it!

10 | Karen

January 15th, 2012 at 11:37 am

Great idea, Andrea! Especially in light of the recent debates about the value of comments. I don’t see how anyone could question that!

I’ve been trying to be more consistent with leaving comments on blogs. Thanks for the additional encouragement!

11 | Hollie

January 15th, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I am not at all the best at leaving comments.

Maybe that is why my blog, doesnt get many.

Perhaps if I left more I would get more. Karma is like that right, so I going to commit to at least 5 comments every weekend day. At least.

12 | michelle

January 15th, 2012 at 12:19 pm

My Sunday are all about catching up on blogs so I will definitely partake in feedback Sundays!!

13 | Erica M

January 15th, 2012 at 12:31 pm

What a cool way to spread some love among a few blogs. Also, I really like your layout and design. Followed you here from a tweet.

14 | Heather

January 15th, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Andrea, I do read blogs on Sunday mornings, it has become a ritual with my morning coffees (yes, i meant plural). Thank you for the reminder to leave comments, even if it just to say, “Hi, I was here and enjoyed your post, made me think”. Have a great Sunday. Now off to read Media Mesh by Karen Wilson.

15 | coffeewithjulie

January 15th, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I am VERY honoured to be on your list today!!! (And yes, comments make me so happy … thanks for leaving one.) :)

16 | Louise

January 15th, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I really appreciate comments from my readers….and I really like this new initiative. So, yeah….I’m with you!

17 | Brenda A

January 15th, 2012 at 2:02 pm

My best will be tried! Good idea! I need to come out of my lurking shell more I think!

18 | Mandy from Nova Scotia

January 15th, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I rarely think I have anything worth saying, and as I’m not a blogger I guess I don’t think about the fact that bloggers don’t care if your comment is striking or life changing, as you said, they just want to know someone is listening, so I’m going to join in on this project and let the bloggers I’m listening to know it. Hey Andrea I’m listening!

19 | Denise Nielsen

January 15th, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I’ve been bad and have fallen out of the habit of blog surfing regularly to find new blogs and leave comments, and so build a blogging community…it’s really something that is easy to let go of, especially with Twitter and Facebook as well. But I miss finding new blogs and new people, so I’m on board with this. Five new blogs a week doesn’t sound so hard….or maybe 3 new blogs and 2 comments on ones I already follow. Great idea, Andrea.

20 | Luciana

January 15th, 2012 at 3:06 pm

You’re right. :) I wish I were a cat. So I can use one of my nine lives to comment on all the beautiful blogs I meet daily. They would all deserve at least a ‘thank you’ just for the simple fact of being in this virtual world. On the other hand, sometimes, I’m just speechless watching someone’s work…(have you seen this video: http://video.mpora.com/watch/5Pgs2slxu/ )

21 | LO

January 15th, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I agree! Comments used to be higher (on my blogs and others) but the last few years has seen a decline BUT activity has risen and advertisers and influencers are also seeing that which is important for those generating income from their blogs. I tweet about blogs more than I comment. I have regular bookmarked blogs I read but find the power of Twitter amazing with the exposure it gives me to other blogs and written ‘word.’ It’s like a great friend buying you a book-it may not be something you would have originally picked for yourself but you love it and give it a chance because you value where it came from and then often, voila, a surprise!:)

22 | Mommy Marshall

January 15th, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Yours is the only blog I read so thanks for your list, I will definitely check them out. Although I only comment once in a while on your blog, I read nearly every day, and incorporate many of your ideas into my day to day life as a mom (growing green onions, Advent Calendar ideas, crafts and places to visit; we had two AMAZING parties at FourCats this summer thanks to you! I really enjoy your writing and peeking in your fishbowl!

23 | Jenn Parker

January 15th, 2012 at 3:36 pm

This is a great idea. I’ve been trying to read and post comments more, but making it a Sunday habit will ensure I keep with it. =)

24 | Moneca Kaiser

January 15th, 2012 at 5:37 pm

cool idea I like leaving comments and think it would be nice if there was a comment feed on the blogs I visit where I not only read the comments the blogger receives but the ones they leave on other sites. great way to find new blogs to follow.

Does a widget like that exist?

25 | marci

January 15th, 2012 at 6:01 pm

as always, a very thoughtful wonderful idea Andrea! I try not to quote that whole “be the change you want to see…” but considering how I JUST complained to you that I spent TEN hours writing a post that nobody has commented on, I truly see the point of this…I read plenty but rarely comment these days!

26 | melissa

January 15th, 2012 at 8:36 pm

This is a great idea. Like so many others, I read far more than I comment. I do a lot of my blog reading in a feedreader offline when I’m traveling to work on the subway. I try to mark posts to comment on when I’m back online, but I don’t always get back to them.

I remember when the commenting function wasn’t automatically built into blog software. (You probably do too. :)) You’d think I’d leave more comments knowing what it was like when it was more difficult to do so. The fragmentation of where to leave that feedback doesn’t help with that either.

Either way, this is a great idea. I need to comment more and Sunday morning is a nice time to do it. Thanks.

January 16th, 2012 at 8:23 am

Thank you for your comments everyone. I think I may have struck a chord. Comments are important, even if all you have time for is “great post.” Did you all leave comments yesterday? Which blogs did you choose? I’d love to know!

a

January 16th, 2012 at 8:24 am

Moneca: I think there is something like that… I’ve seen it before but don’t know where to find it now. Note that some blogs have an RSS feed for their own comments. FYI, mine is here: feed://www.quietfish.com/notebook/?feed=comments-rss2 :)

29 | Pauline

January 17th, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Hmm, I know three of the blogs you mentioned and do enjoy them!

I try to comment whenever I can. What bums me out a bit though are “lapsed blogs”-meaning their owners have kind of abandoned them unofficially. I’ve got all these favs and their authors are MIA.

30 | Cathy Rankin

January 22nd, 2012 at 9:01 am

What a great idea! So many of us share such intimate moments and personal experiences so others can learn or laugh or cry….

So I full heartily agree and will take on the challenge Yes it takes a bit of time, but think of the time that blogger put into the post to share with us!

31 | Wendy

January 22nd, 2012 at 9:04 am

Love love love this idea. We are all in a rush these days. It’s nice to take a minute or two & leave your thoughts. It doesn’t have to be long but yet so appreciated.

32 | Sandra

January 22nd, 2012 at 10:06 am

What a fab idea! So much of my blogging and reading of blogs is about building community – finding my tribe. Comments sooo help with that! I love to write and just as much, I love to be heard.

33 | amber

January 29th, 2012 at 10:05 am

I think this is a great idea and definitely something worth getting behind. Thanks for a thought – provoking post! Amber :)

34 | Iain Robson

January 29th, 2012 at 10:13 am

I have just gotten into blogging, so this seems like a good idea to me. I mean the more your names gets out there the more likely people are to check out your information right? Having said that, I think that I will begin on this epic journey of commenting on blogs. Thus, this shall be one of my first comments that I make.

35 | Chrisy

February 12th, 2012 at 10:25 am

I think this is a terrific idea! I agree with all of your points. The internet is noisier, there are more people blogging, we’re all BUSY, writing our own content takes time, reading anything is a luxury these days, but making an effort to comment on even a handful of blogs each week reminds us that we ALL are worthy to be here splashing around in the same big virtual space.

36 | Joanna

February 12th, 2012 at 10:36 am

This is do savvy! I’m newer to the blog scene so I’ve been reading up on blogging successfully! This is definitely on par with my research! And what a great way to build relationships and community. I would love to be one of your featured blogs…check it out at http://www.ecosavvymama.ca/blog. Happy commenting!!

37 | Rochelle

February 15th, 2012 at 1:32 am

“… some people don’t even get past Facebook.”
Interesting you wrote this, it was opposite for me. I was all about FB and then got tired of it. I found blogs reveal more of a thought process in other people’s posts.
A friend suggested I spend at least 10 minutes a day reading blogs. Of course, I don’t leave comments unless I have something to add. If I leave it at ‘great post’ I feel it’s a little unfinished. However, this is a great post and I’m going to check out your links!

38 | vicky

February 19th, 2012 at 9:22 am

Im on vacation now which means I have some extra time to leave comments!!
Question: if people leave comments on your blog, do you feel that you need to reply to them? Just a question!!

39 | Dominick

February 19th, 2012 at 10:06 am

Found your post through twitter. I am in the midst of setting up our clinic blog so it was interesting see yours. Thanks.

40 | Shelly R Wilson

February 26th, 2012 at 10:38 am

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing it and I’m so on on this.

41 | Mara

March 4th, 2012 at 11:02 am

This is a great idea. I hope I make it on your list one time. I try to read a few blogs everyday. And I nearly always comment unless it’s not commentable. I love comments on mine because it means someone read it. Ps fabulous choices up there.

42 | Paula Schuck

March 4th, 2012 at 11:03 am

Hey Andrea: what a great idea! I randomly like to do this anyways. Not sure who I will choose. But I think lesser known bloggers and some lOcal people. Great idea. Thx.

Paula@inkscrblr
Thriftymommastips

43 | Kat

March 4th, 2012 at 11:05 am

This is such a great idea and I’m loving doing it. It’s Sunday morning, coffee in hand, sun shining through the window and time for a good read through people’s ideas.

44 | Jeanette

March 4th, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I love this idea! I struggle with the routine of commenting as well. Hupping on the bandwagon now :)

45 | angela ( angfromthedock )

March 4th, 2012 at 2:22 pm

i love this idea. i am pretty regular at commenting on blogs…but not anywhere near as consistent as i would like to be. i love what people share:) and will be making a bigger effort. thanks for the reminder:)

46 | Diana

March 18th, 2012 at 9:44 am

Lovely idea, Andrea! If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it…and so on. :) It really does feel like someone’s listening whenever we receive a comment on a post that I’ve painstakingly written, but reciprocity is key here. I commit to comment on Sundays (raises hand). Thanks for this!

47 | Desiree

March 18th, 2012 at 10:45 am

Even though this was posted in January I love this idea. I am still a fresh chicken in the mommy blog world. As I am developing what I’m exactly about I have learned so far that community is the key to success. If I’m lucky I’ll get one comment and to me that’s a small victory.

48 | Joyce

March 26th, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Thank you! Totally new to this!

49 | Don (@foodiePrints)

April 29th, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Oh Andrea, your initiative is a godsend to someone who’s wondering if keeping his blog going is worthwhile.

I too am from an older blogging generation who remembers gauging pieces by their reception, specifically the number and quality of comments. And, I comment as much as I can on others’ blogs, including yours.

I caught wind of your initiative because one of your followers left a nice comment on our latest post, referencing #committocomment.

Cheers!

50 | Kelly

April 29th, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I will never forget the first time someone other than my mom commented on a post. It was the realization that there were actual PEOPLE out there reading what I wrote…I make t a regular habit to leave a comment now – even if just to say I liked what I read!

NAC Ottawa family events

Fall family fun fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Litterless lunch solutions at terra20

Zen Kitchen is open! Use code FISHBOWL for free dessert

Nepean Visual Arts Centre

Visit tThe Village Quire in Westboro Ottawa!