28 Feb, 2012

A very important question

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

This year is a leap year and we have a whole extra day to spend. It seems to me that it would be a shame to waste it. After all, I know a whole bunch of people who would have appreciated having One Extra Day. What a gift.

What will you do with your extra day?

Me: I’m thinking of stealing my family away and playing hooky. Not sure yet…

Print this post Print this post

8 Responses to "A very important question"

1 | Lara

February 28th, 2012 at 10:10 am

Good idea! If only we all could do that :)

I have no plans. Hehe

February 28th, 2012 at 10:15 am

I don’t want to waste it! It’d be a shame to use extra time we’re given just watching tv or doing laundry. No one in the history of mankind has ever laid on their deathbed and wished they’d watched more TV. Or spent more time at the office. ;)

Perhaps we’ll have cake for breakfast, go for a snowy hike and feed the chickadees.

3 | coffeewithjulie

February 28th, 2012 at 10:18 am

Yes, but that’s because when you’re on your deathbed you no longer have to worry about how to pay your mortgage! :)

4 | Yael

February 28th, 2012 at 10:42 am

Hmmm… Well, I’ll be stuck in the office all day *joy*.

BUT, if I weren’t in the office, I would spend my extra day taking a long walk with my dog and my husband, going to a late, late breakfast, and generally relaxing with my (little) family!

5 | Lynn

February 28th, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Hm…we have no special plans but I do like the idea of introducing a new tradition, something small to mark the day. Breakfast in bed, maybe? Leap year cake for dinner? I will give it some (last minute!) thought.

6 | LO

February 28th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Oh I love a good day of hooky!!!! And it’s a bonus as leap day is on hump day!
You could go to the movies and have the theatre to yourself! You could also do something charitable. So, a treat for you and a ‘do good’ deed!

7 | Vicki

February 28th, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I like what this article has to suggest:

“Leap” Into Service – Make That Extra February Day Count

February 28th, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Lynn, I am seriously considering Leap Year Cake.

Vicki – thanks for the link!

NAC Ottawa events

Christmas ideas from Saunders Farm!

Frogs - a Chorus of Colours - at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Funhaven - Ottawa's destination for birthday parties and fun

terra20 Ottawa celebrates Earth Month

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

IMAX 3D - Journey to the South Pacific

bucketlist

etc.

• andrea tomkins: Laurel - I did not mean to suggest that everyone has to buy a hybrid, rather, that that the automotive industry is heading that way and I'm happy we d
  • Laurel: I appreciate that you write a lot about being kind to the world and being aware re recycling and more. It's one of the things that draws me to your bl
  • A good stink.: Composting is a joy. Good for my garden and my soul. I compost all year round although winter can be a challenge. Squirrels will gnaw through your
  • andrea tomkins: You make a good point lacoop, we are definitely not alone on this planet! Easing our dependence on cars is a good idea for many reasons. I do wish the
  • lacoop: We also made the decision to be a one-car family. We also make a point of biking and walking where ever possible: cheaper, better for the planet, an
  • andrea tomkins: Me too! It's really inspiring!
  • Lisa from Iroquois: Love the Yellowberry story.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (14) and Sarah (12). I am the Editor of the Kitchissippi Times as well as Capital Parent Newspaper. I'm also a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999 (which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which). The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 660 and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:
Created with flickr badge.
Click the photo for details: what it is, where I ate it (if it's worth a mention!), and how to cook it (if there happens to be a recipe). You can also read more about this project right here.

Sideblog

A year before

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too:

Follow the Fishbowl’s companion page on Facebook

Let's stick a pin in that

Miz Mooz Women's Car