28 Feb, 2012

A very important question

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

This year is a leap year and we have a whole extra day to spend. It seems to me that it would be a shame to waste it. After all, I know a whole bunch of people who would have appreciated having One Extra Day. What a gift.

What will you do with your extra day?

Me: I’m thinking of stealing my family away and playing hooky. Not sure yet…

Print this post Print this post

8 Responses to "A very important question"

1 | Lara

February 28th, 2012 at 10:10 am

Good idea! If only we all could do that :)

I have no plans. Hehe

February 28th, 2012 at 10:15 am

I don’t want to waste it! It’d be a shame to use extra time we’re given just watching tv or doing laundry. No one in the history of mankind has ever laid on their deathbed and wished they’d watched more TV. Or spent more time at the office. ;)

Perhaps we’ll have cake for breakfast, go for a snowy hike and feed the chickadees.

3 | coffeewithjulie

February 28th, 2012 at 10:18 am

Yes, but that’s because when you’re on your deathbed you no longer have to worry about how to pay your mortgage! :)

4 | Yael

February 28th, 2012 at 10:42 am

Hmmm… Well, I’ll be stuck in the office all day *joy*.

BUT, if I weren’t in the office, I would spend my extra day taking a long walk with my dog and my husband, going to a late, late breakfast, and generally relaxing with my (little) family!

5 | Lynn

February 28th, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Hm…we have no special plans but I do like the idea of introducing a new tradition, something small to mark the day. Breakfast in bed, maybe? Leap year cake for dinner? I will give it some (last minute!) thought.

6 | LO

February 28th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Oh I love a good day of hooky!!!! And it’s a bonus as leap day is on hump day!
You could go to the movies and have the theatre to yourself! You could also do something charitable. So, a treat for you and a ‘do good’ deed!

7 | Vicki

February 28th, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I like what this article has to suggest:

“Leap” Into Service – Make That Extra February Day Count

February 28th, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Lynn, I am seriously considering Leap Year Cake.

Vicki – thanks for the link!

NAC Ottawa family events

Summertime fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

Litterless lunch solutions at terra20

bucketlist

etc.

• Susan: Does the Westy tattoo have something to do with the content of the newsletter? :)
  • Mark: This quote from Bruce McCulloch of Kids in the Hall Fame sums it up nicely "In your 20s, you think about what the world can give you. In your 30s, wha
  • Westies take note! >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] extra stuff for fans of Westboro Village […]
  • Bob LeDrew: "I felt like I was born to the role of The Observer, to hover on the outskirts taking everything in but never really being a part of it, whatever IT i
  • Susan Ovington: Happy Birthday Andrea! I also love my 40's. You realize what is most important in your life and finally start to feel comfortable in your own skin. I
  • Pam Dillon: Happy Birthday, Andrea. Smart girls rule. (I'm still working on #1, btw. : )) Don't know about age being a state of mind, but I do know it's somet
  • andrea tomkins: I really liked that one too. Thanks Jen!

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 780 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's a recent one:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #
  • My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #

On this date in the archives

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: