27 Feb, 2012

I might be rewriting my resume very soon

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|sanity saving parent tips

When I was about five my parents got me on tape describing – in all seriousness – what parents do all day. I announced that fathers work and mothers wash dishes. I was reminded of this recently while reading a post over at Mary Lynn’s blog.

Sidebar: I think interviewing your kids is a very fun way of preserving a sweet memory. A couple years ago when we were stuck in a hospital waiting room with Sarah’s split lip we came up with a few top ten lists to pass the time. It was actually quite revealing to discuss ten things we like to do as a familyten things we loved about a family vacation and the ten things we missed about home, and our top ten favourite desserts.

But the interview I decided to undertake with the girls this weekend was a little different. With no prompting from me whatsoever, I asked the girls separately what topics they thought Mark and I were experts at. Here is what they said.

Sarah said that daddy is an expert at:

1. Editing videos
  2. Barbecuing
  3. Making apple crumble
  4. Shovelling snow
  5. Hugging
  6. Science
  7. Driving
  8. Getting good things at the grocery store [ed. "good" includes cookies, chips, ice cream, and/or all of the above.]
  9. Helping out on school projects
  10. Jokes [ed: ??]

… and I am an expert at:

1. Arts and crafts
  2. Blogging
  3. Journalism
  4. Cuddling and hugging
  5. Cooking
  6. Thinking of good ideas and places to go
  7. Dog and pet care
  8. Hula Hooping on the Wii [ed. okaaaaay]
  9. Helping our community
  10. Ponytails [ed: ??]

Emma said Mark is an expert at:

1. Birds
  2. Using a video camera
  3. Editing
  4. Teaching
  5. Directing
  6. Managing money [ed: can you tell we've been talking a lot about his work lately?]
  7. Parenting
  8. Golf
  9. Making people happy
  10. Video games

… and that I am an expert at:

1. Parenting
  2. Blogging
  3. Journalism
  4. Photography
  5. Art
  6. Swimming
  7. Poetry and story writing
  8. Making the family happy
  9. Making up songs on the spot
  10. Trying and learning new things

Isn’t that funny? It’s insightful in a really neat way. I’m quite pleased with their lists!

If you decide to do this with you kids (whether you blog about it or not) please come back and leave me a comment. I’d love to see what they come up with!

Print this post Print this post

9 Responses to "I might be rewriting my resume very soon"

1 | Cinamongirl17

February 27th, 2012 at 8:59 am

That is sweet! My parents also taped me (audio) playing with my toys when I was about 3, the tape was about an hour long and boy was it hilarious!! I played it for my daughter recently and she was laughing and amazed at the same time at the fact that yes Mom was 3 yrs old once!

My daughter uses my husband’s Iphone constantly making little movies of herself and things around her, it is fun to watch. I think I’ll asking her your question tonite and see what she comes up with!

2 | Mary Lynn

February 27th, 2012 at 9:06 am

That is awesome, and I’m thrilled that my post inspired it. I love the interview idea. Definitely planning to use that as a fun way to while the way the time on our drive up to the Ottawa area during March Break.

I did note, however, that neither you nor Mark have zombie-killing listed as an area of expertise. So if you need a hand with that one, just let me know…

3 | Rosemary Nickerson

February 27th, 2012 at 9:06 am

Out of the mouths of babes….they don’t understand what, or why to edit and so we get the unabridged version of everything they think and then say. Love it.
Rosemary

4 | Arlene

February 27th, 2012 at 9:34 am

My kids are 17 and almost-15 now – I think I would be afraid to ask! But I recently went away on a 2-week trip. My son’s first e-mail to me read: “Don’t worry about us. We’re fine. But I miss you, especially when it comes to food and hugs.” The priorities of a 15-year-old . . .

5 | Chantal

February 27th, 2012 at 10:17 am

I love that and I totally need to do that with my kids.

6 | Kathleen

February 27th, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Very, very sweet.

7 | Short but Sweet « The Mommy Years

February 27th, 2012 at 2:23 pm

[...] you read Andrea’s post today, she asked her daughters to write down what they thought she and her husband were good at.  A [...]

8 | Loukia

February 27th, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Oh, awesome! I’m going to ask my nous tomorrow! Fingers crossed my list is half as good as yours! :)

9 | binki

March 1st, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I asked one of my kids last night. Very good lists were provided. I too got “Trying and learning new things” which made me mucho happy / proud.

NAC Ottawa family events

Summertime fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

bucketlist

etc.

• Elizabeth: Welcome home! Enjoying your weekend reads. Elizabeth
  • Misty Pratt: Except for the fact that someone has to do those minimum wage jobs, and it's usually new immigrants and low-income people with families to feed. So th
  • Natalie: My two cents. We have tried Supperworks, in fact we were regulars until recently. We were never disappointed. Their entrées for four fed our family o
  • Javamom: I guess one of the things we find hard to accept sometimes is that occasionally, time is more valuable than money. I get it, although I have not tried
  • future landfill: And yet, and yet. I've had a few decades of street photography, snapping pics of people and events in public places, cafes, pubs. Sometimes obviously
  • Colleen: It does sound fun, but a bit steep for my family.
  • andrea: We have winners! Dinner #1 on July 24 was won by nathalie d. Dinner #2 on August 21 was won by Madga. Congratulations! Thank you Saunders Farm

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 758 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's a recent one:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #
  • I'm over at the MediaSmarts blog today, putting together the online privacy puzzle.

- #
  • I had a really interesting conversation with my 14-year-old daughter recently. She was wondering why so many adults assume that teenagers are all the same: a bunch of lazy, self-involved jokers who are glued to their devices all day. I didn’t have an answer for her, really, only that people tend to generalize, and that this is Never a Good Thing, no matter who it is we’re talking about. [Read the rest at MediaSmarts.ca]

- #

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: