16 Apr, 2012

fallen like a house of cards

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

This is how it happened.

I fell ill with a weird cold during Easter weekend and haven’t gotten over it yet. Sarah got sick a couple of days ago. Emma got sick yesterday, as did Mark. We are a capital mess.

This is a first for us – getting sick at the same time that is. I’m actually thankful the girls are older and are relatively happy to camp out in front of the TV. I can’t imagine having to deal with this plague if they were babies.

I am anxious. Not just about our health, but about my to-do list. It’s about a mile long. We just signed a lease on an apartment and are gearing up for a giant move which will take place sometime between May 15 and June 1 (I will explain later). There are unanswered emails in my Inbox and white drifts of Kleenex in the living room. I have a backlog of really great stuff I want to write about here.

I feel guilty and twitchy and I also need to take the time to heal… but I can’t. There just isn’t time. I am running on fumes again today, drawing heavily on what’s left of my reserves. Thank goodness Mark is here. At least I’m not alone.

8 Responses to "fallen like a house of cards"

1 | binki

April 16th, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I had this “flu from hell” a few weeks ago. 1/2 our office was out with it (very contagious). It lasts about a week and then you feel groggy/tired for another 4 or 5 days. But it ends.

2 | Paula Roy

April 16th, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Are you sure it’s not somehow related to the early onset of tree pollen? Our family used to be immune but now son, daughter and I are afflicted with awful cold-like symptoms unless we take antihistamines (Claritin, etc.) which take a few days to become effective. I was told by my doc that seasonal allergies not only create symptoms of their own but also weaken your immune system, making you more susceptible to other germs out there. Feel better soon.

3 | Chantal

April 16th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

We were in the exact same position you were. It was horrible but I put aside work and just focused on myself and my family. It was hard but worth it.

4 | alison p-h

April 16th, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Wishing you all a speedy recovery!

5 | Cathy

April 16th, 2012 at 2:20 pm

May the speedy recovery fairy visit you NOW!

6 | Sara

April 16th, 2012 at 5:13 pm

As a soon to be family of five its one of my biggest fears. Hope everyone feels better soon :)

7 | carrie

April 16th, 2012 at 10:12 pm

sending you all kinds of crazy well wishes and positive vibes to feel better and not worry… everything is going to be ok!

April 17th, 2012 at 8:33 am

Thanks guys! We are on the mend, slowly but surely! Oh man. What a week it’s been!!

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.