24 Apr, 2012

Welcoming a new patron: Help We’ve Got Kids

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Fishbowl patrons|Ottawa

I appreciate it when companies make my life easier in a way that make sense to me. That’s why I’m very pleased to welcome a new patron to the Fishbowl, it’s a website, nay, a mini-social media empire (!) called Help We’ve Got Kids. HWGK is a comprehensive directory focused solely on families, parents and caregivers. It was originally established on 1994 as a print resource and they’ve been growing ever since. HWGK has been online since 2000 in Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, Kitchener and Hamilton, and now… drumroll please… they’re starting to build their listings in Ottawa too. Woot!

At the moment HWGK is still largely focused on their founding markets, but it’s growing. If you are a parent in the Toronto area there are thousands of listings to help you find everything you need… whether it’s a birthday party-related business, information about fun family outings, art classes, day camps, and much more. Here’s the best part: listings can be searched by age, area or keyword and they also include comments so you can see what other parents have said about these places too.

Think about what that means, especially as it pertains to things like birthday parties and camps. To have it all in one place is a huge time-saver.

As for Ottawa parents, well, we are going to have to wait a bit as our part of this parenting resource is just being developed as I type. In the meantime, local kid and parent-related businesses might be interested in adding themselves to the site here. (A basic listing is free.)

HWGK has recently started to add blogs and articles from their Help Posse to answer questions they get from parents on a daily basis. And an extra bonus, the site offers contests, deals and a weekly newsletter to keep moms and dads informed about what is going on in their area. I’ve signed up, and you should too! And don’t forget to check them out on Facebook and on Twitter too. Their information is great. For example, here’s a helpful video they produced (starring co-owner Tracie Wagman!) about loot bags (a perennial issue of mine).

I’m wondering… what kind of listings would be most valuable to you as a parent? Party places in Ottawa? Kiddy hair salons? Organizations that offer after-school care and camps? If you have suggestions (or favourites that deserve priority listing!) I’d love to hear them.

Print this post Print this post

7 Responses to "Welcoming a new patron: Help We’ve Got Kids"

1 | Tracie

April 24th, 2012 at 11:06 am

Thanks Andrea! We are so excited to be launching in Ottawa and would love to hear from your readers. Load us up with any suggestions, places and companies you love and what you’d like to see on our site! We love feedback!

2 | Jen_nifer

April 24th, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Love the idea, but can’t find anything Ottawa related yet. Be sure to keep us in the loop when that changes.

3 | Giulia

April 24th, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Ottawa is present – click on location top right hand side and you’ll see a couple of things, such as Saunders, Laser Quest, Pirates, etc.
Andrea, typo on the second use of HWGK in first paragraph.
I like listing of festivals that are good for kids, including the activities that they offer and we are always looking for things to do outdoors in winter.

April 24th, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Jen_nifer – they’re crazy busy inputting data and I expect there will be more added to the site in the coming weeks.

Giulia – thanks!

5 | http://morriscgaz.skyrock.com/

April 24th, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I do not know whether it’s just me or if perhaps everybody else encountering problems with your site. It appears as if some of the text within your posts are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them as well? This might be a issue with my web browser because I’ve had this happen previously.

6 | Celinda

May 16th, 2013 at 11:27 am

Aw, this was an incredibly nice post. Finding the time and actual effort to generate a really good article… but what can I say… I hesitate a
lot and never manage to get nearly anything done.

7 | fitness supplements

September 27th, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed!
Very helpful information specially the last part :) I care for such info
a lot. I was looking for this certain information for a very long
time. Thank you and good luck.

NAC Ottawa family events

Summertime fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

Litterless lunch solutions at terra20

bucketlist

etc.

• Rebecca: Morning for me is best, absolutely. And I need silence. SILENCE. When the kids are gone to school I don't turn on anything, there's only the sound of
  • Lynn: Damn, surfing Facebook is my primary "down time" activity right now :). I heard an interesting documentary on the CBC a while ago about some resear
  • A helpful tool for writers >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] Further to yesterday’s post about writing… […]
  • andrea tomkins: But here's the thing that freaks me out. I think all of these needs are in my head. I've basically told myself that I must have all of these things in
  • Javamom: Mornings. Coffee. At home on laptop. If the words don't come I can read, and/or make notes elsewhere (like a coffee shop). An empty house is a mus
  • Misty Pratt: I seem to do my best writing while I'm out walking, cycling or running. I've considered buying a little voice recorder so that I can dictate some stuf
  • andrea tomkins: This is posted on behalf of Ann Douglas (http://www.having-a-baby.com), who tried to comment but had technical issues: "I have learned that I need

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 805 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #
  • My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

On this date in the archives

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: