18 Jun, 2012

Nine things for Operation Trim: Part two of #5 (Breadless!)

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Challenge me, challenge you|Recipes and Food

I was at the grocery store at 11:30 a.m. the other day when I realized I was absolutely starving. My first thought was “I’ll just make a sandwich when I get home” which was immediately followed up by “wait a second, I am not eating bread right now, remember?”

I had to quickly figure out what I was going to eat, and I didn’t want to spend the extra effort to make a soup or something that was going to take a lot of time to prepare.

I remembered what we had for dinner the night before (broiled salmon fillets, a really delicious pasta dish, and stir fried vegetables) and realized there was a small portion of salmon left over. What could I make with it in under three minutes that would taste REALLY GOOD?

That’s when I had a huge a-ha moment. I could make a breadless sandwich out of it, or a riceless sushi roll, or both!

What would you call this thing? I guess it’s kind of a salmon roll. Kind of.

Riceless-roll

Forgive the photos, I was starving and drooling while I was taking them. It doesn’t look like much, but BOY:

Riceless-roll2

.. was it good. It was however, impossible to roll. Oh well. It was delicious. Next time I will try to fold it this way, in a cone shape.

Nevermind that. Allow me to deconstruct. This roll consists of:

• one piece of nori
  • a hunk of cold broiled salmon
  • leaf lettuce
  • one piece of green onion (it was going crazy on my windowsill)
  • a sprinkling of fresh cilantro
  • a tiny bit of soy sauce

I must make this again next time we have leftover salmon.

My other bread-less sandwich last week was ham and cheese. I used a large lettuce leaf instead of bread. I added a swipe of dijon and it totally did the trick. Behold:

hamandcheese

I followed it up with a stuffed jalapeño pepper (it’s a treat with heat!), some flavoured water, and called it a lunch.

Now I need to put my thinking cap on and figure out what other breadless lunches I make for myself this week. I’m keeping track of them in a Flickr set as I go. The question is, how many can I do before I blow it? ;)

6 Responses to "Nine things for Operation Trim: Part two of #5 (Breadless!)"

1 | Maranda

June 18th, 2012 at 8:37 am

My 10 year old son loves lettuce wraps! Tuna salad especially.

I eat salads for lunch nearly every single day. I add some protein, like tuna, chicken, hard boiled eggs or beans and I pre-make my dressing once a week so it’s super quick and easy to put together.

If I feel like something hot I’ll make eggs and a vegetable or cook a piece of chicken (better yet leftovers) with some veggies.

June 18th, 2012 at 8:43 am

As much as I love bread and miss it terribly, I think it has been making a difference. Lunch is a great time for a huge salad, and I need to get into the habit of making one instead of defaulting to a sandwich every time.

We went out for brunch on Father’s Day and I ordered an omelette (hold the toast) instead of the usual bacon and eggs. It was so good! And I felt good afterwards too.

3 | Richard

June 18th, 2012 at 9:06 am

I will be making breadless wraps this week now that I saw this. Looks very appetizing and I great way to cut back on the carbs.

Thanks for the idea.

4 | Fiona

June 18th, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Scrambled egg cooked on a (very) non stick pan as a thin crepe also makes a great low-carb bread-less wrap.

5 | Sara

June 19th, 2012 at 10:07 am

What about a bean salad, couscous salad or pasta salad?

6 | Nine things for Operation Trim: #6 - Perchance to sleep >> a peek inside the fishbowl

September 20th, 2012 at 11:03 am

[…] Post #5 was when I went breadless, and it wasn’t long after that that I launched my Daily Lunches challenge (which is still going strong!). I would say that I’ve been moderately successful at eliminating bread from my daily diet. I eat very little processed bread (the stuff that you get at the grocery store in the bread aisle). I have had a bagel from the Ottawa Bagel Shop recently, as well as a baguette from Art-is-in and a freshly-baked buttery croissant from Sobeys. So basically, when I do eat bread, it has to be AMAZING bread. If not, I don’t eat any at all. […]