13 Aug, 2013

More camping desserts?! But of course!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Recipes and Food

Normally we aren’t the kind of family who eats dessert every night. Eating something sweet after every meal is not the kind of habit I encourage, but of course, everything goes out the window when we’re camping.

We use pretty much the same camping menu every year, and every year we must make Banana Boats. There is no negotiation on this point, and to remove it from the menu would be unforgivable. But I don’t mind making it. It’s a very easy recipe and is a great little campfire-friendly dessert.

You will need:

• bananas (one for each person)
  • a 50/50 mix of mini-marshmallows and chocolate chips. (We used butterscotch chips this year but banana boats are also very good with Skor bits! Whatever you choose, mix ’em together and put them in a small container beforehand.)
  • tin foil

Using a sharp knife, carefully slice through the banana peel where the banana curves inward. Then get the kids to stuff the opening with your marshmallow/chip mix as pictured below. (It goes without saying that the banana pictured below is mine. My kids crammed way more marshmallows into theirs!)

Banana boat recipe

Wrap the entire banana with foil and toss it on the grill. A note of caution! Each banana contains a HIGHLY PERSONALIZE CONCOCTION and your kids will not want you to mix them up (trust me on this). I like to twist the foil end of mine so it won’t get confused with the others.

Banana Boat recipe

Cooking times will depend upon a few things, such as the heat of your fire or whether you’re using your camp stove, but I’m guessing that our banana boats cooked for about 5 or 6 minutes a side. Don’t forget to turn them a few times to ensure even cooking.

Take them off the fire when you think they’re good and hot. The goal here is to melt the marshmallow/chip mix and heat the banana all the way through… even cooking it a little bit. It turns into a GLORIOUS BANANA MASH. And it tastes much better than it looks. :)

Banana Boat recipe

8 Responses to "More camping desserts?! But of course!"

1 | Sarah McCormack

August 13th, 2013 at 3:02 pm

one of our fave camping treats! my son learned how to do them in CUBS, so he is always the “maker”. If I have it, some squirty ship cream is nice on top too!

will add your idea with the b’scotch chips next time..YUM!!

2 | Sarah McCormack

August 13th, 2013 at 3:03 pm

one of our fave camping treats! my son learned how to do them in CUBS, so he is always the “maker”. If I have it, some squirty whip cream is nice on top too!

will add your idea with the b’scotch chips next time..YUM!!

3 | Sarah McCormack

August 13th, 2013 at 3:03 pm

p.s. changed SHIP to WHIP! lol :)

4 | Carrie

August 13th, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Cool! I’d love to see what some of your main courses looked like, too!

5 | Jenn

August 14th, 2013 at 6:42 am

Looks completely grosss! But I’ll give it a try. The camping donuts are the ones I’m looking forward too

6 | andrea tomkins

August 14th, 2013 at 8:43 am

They are really good, no matter what you’re thinking Jenn. :)

Carrie, the main courses aren’t too exciting – mostly hot dogs and hamburgers – but maybe I’ll post one of our meals in the next camping food post!

7 | Camping meal recipes | campingmealideas.net

November 3rd, 2013 at 5:16 am

[…] More camping desserts?! But of course! >> a peek inside the fishbowl http://www.quietfish.com/notebook/Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Recipes and Food. Normally we aren't the … We use pretty much the same camping menu every year, and every year we must make Banana Boats. There is no … […]

8 | Camping meal recipes | campingmealideas.net

November 5th, 2013 at 1:17 am

[…] More camping desserts?! But of course! >> a peek inside the fishbowl http://www.quietfish.com/notebook/a peek inside the fishbowl http://www.quietfish.com/notebook/Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Recipes and Food. Normally we aren't the … We use pretty much the same camping menu every year, … […]

terra20 Ottawa