08 Dec, 2013

You know you love your dog too much when…

Posted by andrea tomkins in: dog stuff

We call her Beardo

1. You miss them when they’re not home and the house seems unnaturally quiet.

2. They eat better dinners than you do sometimes.

3. You read the nutrition panels on their food and snacks.

4. You sometimes worry about their health and well-being more than you do your own.

5. You can never stay mad at them for very long.

6. You use their middle name when they’re being scolded.

7. They have a middle name.

8. You buy them clothing, which makes them look even more adorable. (How is that even possible?!)

9. Your camera/smartphone has more pictures of the dog on it than your children.

10. You purposely drop food on the floor for them while you’re cooking.

11. You talk to them, even though you know they don’t understand. (“Wasn’t that a GREAT walk?”)

12. When talking to your dog you make up nonsensical words and your voice raises an octave. And you’d DIE ON THE SPOT if someone you actually knew overheard you talking to your dog.

13. You wear reflective clothing when you walk them at night.

14. You make the dog wear reflecting clothing at night. And a clip-on light.

15. You imagine what you’d do if another dog attacked your dog, and what you’d do/say to their owner. And it’s never pretty.

16. You’d sell your most prized possessions to get them the medical help they need.

17. When you read news stories about abused pets it always brings you to tears.

18. You buy your dog Christmas gifts.

19. You wrap the gifts.

20. You know in your heart that there’s no such thing as loving your dog too much, because love knows no bounds, especially for man’s best friend.

Tags: ,

Print this post Print this post

8 Responses to "You know you love your dog too much when…"

1 | Natalie

December 8th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Agreed :) except I have a cat! Pets make us better people don’t they?

2 | Melanie

December 8th, 2013 at 4:46 pm

So true…I’d like to add that we Skype’d our dog while on vacation! Too much?

3 | Amy

December 8th, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Our dog has a title and a middle name

4 | wendy

December 8th, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Ended a friendship because she said walking a dog is a time waster!! LOL

5 | wth?

December 9th, 2013 at 3:37 pm

No dog or cat. Finding it hard to understand or relate.

6 | andrea tomkins

December 9th, 2013 at 6:24 pm

What can I say, other than people who really love their pets REALLY love their pets. :)

7 | J Lee

December 10th, 2013 at 10:12 am

This reminds me of my room mate! I don’t think he could every have a girlfriend – his dog is the only lady in his life.

8 | Brandy

January 1st, 2014 at 9:52 am

This list is awesome and so very true!

NAC Ottawa family events

Saunders Farm annual passes for family fun!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

OMS Ottawa Montessori schools

Sara McConnell photography Ottawa

Rethink Tires - Community Renewal Fund

bucketlist

Veggie challenge button

• Claudette (@WriterOfWords91): lol Oh I needed this. So fun to read! I spent most of my morning raging over the WEEDS and the DEATH of my cucumbers from too much rain, yanking th
  • Alina: You did a great job, Andrea! You ate a variety of foods and the majority of them were nutritious. How would life be without a cookie, an ice cream, or
  • Ginger: I am going to try this out!
  • Margaret Whitley: As a long time Montessori Educator, student, parent, and supporter, I am pleased to see your profile of OMS. They are a fine example of what Montesso
  • Michael Milsom: Way to push yourself out of the box to explore another dimension..taking us all along for the ride :-) 21 days ..is a LOT of days to commit to doing
  • My 21-day vegetarian challenge is done! >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] and sweet potato tacos (sort of based on this recipe), beer, tortilla chips and salsa* - snacks: DIY mango soft serve, coffee with milk, a
  • 21-day vegetarian challenge – it’s done! >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] alfredo with kale and green onion - vegan black bean and sweet potato tacos (sort of based on this recipe), beer, tortilla chips and salsa*

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• Two articles of mine were published in the summer issue of Ottawa Magazine. One is a Q&A with a dermatologist about summertime skin care (YES, those are my superwhite legs in the photo) and the other is a blogger face-off about bikinis.

- #
  • So I was feeling a bit ranty and wrote this post about raising children in an age of zero privacy in the hopes it will start some conversations! Please leave your two cents right here.

- #
  • My latest post on the MediaSmarts website is up, and it's about family social media accounts. (Yes! It's a thing! And I think it's pretty neat.) Is this something you do as a family? I'd love it if you left your two cents on the topic.

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.