08 Dec, 2013

You know you love your dog too much when…

Posted by andrea tomkins in: dog stuff

We call her Beardo

1. You miss them when they’re not home and the house seems unnaturally quiet.

2. They eat better dinners than you do sometimes.

3. You read the nutrition panels on their food and snacks.

4. You sometimes worry about their health and well-being more than you do your own.

5. You can never stay mad at them for very long.

6. You use their middle name when they’re being scolded.

7. They have a middle name.

8. You buy them clothing, which makes them look even more adorable. (How is that even possible?!)

9. Your camera/smartphone has more pictures of the dog on it than your children.

10. You purposely drop food on the floor for them while you’re cooking.

11. You talk to them, even though you know they don’t understand. (“Wasn’t that a GREAT walk?”)

12. When talking to your dog you make up nonsensical words and your voice raises an octave. And you’d DIE ON THE SPOT if someone you actually knew overheard you talking to your dog.

13. You wear reflective clothing when you walk them at night.

14. You make the dog wear reflecting clothing at night. And a clip-on light.

15. You imagine what you’d do if another dog attacked your dog, and what you’d do/say to their owner. And it’s never pretty.

16. You’d sell your most prized possessions to get them the medical help they need.

17. When you read news stories about abused pets it always brings you to tears.

18. You buy your dog Christmas gifts.

19. You wrap the gifts.

20. You know in your heart that there’s no such thing as loving your dog too much, because love knows no bounds, especially for man’s best friend.

Tags: ,

8 Responses to "You know you love your dog too much when…"

1 | Natalie

December 8th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Agreed :) except I have a cat! Pets make us better people don’t they?

2 | Melanie

December 8th, 2013 at 4:46 pm

So true…I’d like to add that we Skype’d our dog while on vacation! Too much?

3 | Amy

December 8th, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Our dog has a title and a middle name

4 | wendy

December 8th, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Ended a friendship because she said walking a dog is a time waster!! LOL

5 | wth?

December 9th, 2013 at 3:37 pm

No dog or cat. Finding it hard to understand or relate.

6 | andrea tomkins

December 9th, 2013 at 6:24 pm

What can I say, other than people who really love their pets REALLY love their pets. :)

7 | J Lee

December 10th, 2013 at 10:12 am

This reminds me of my room mate! I don’t think he could every have a girlfriend – his dog is the only lady in his life.

8 | Brandy

January 1st, 2014 at 9:52 am

This list is awesome and so very true!

NAC Ottawa culture days

Fall fun at Saunders Farm!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

OMS Ottawa Montessori schools

terra20 Ottawa

Bugs at the Canadian Museum of Nature Ottawa

• Tricia: Oooh, I love this stuff!
  • Caroline: Zaatar pita chips crumbled instead of croutons. I just had the chips with homemade hummus and tabbouleh for lunch. Yum!
  • Brenda A: Have you been to Al Noor Bakery across from the movie theatre on Carling? You will LOVE it if you like zaatar. So many tasty breads there and a supe
  • mubuku-hashamen.com: What's up, just wanted to say, I liked this article. It was funny. Keep on posting!
  • Kathy: I have had the PC credit card for a few months..Seemed to be working well, was enjoying getting the most points I could. But then I started to notice
  • capitaljunk: Great! Will have to try this on a lazy day :)
  • Lynn: Really enjoyed that smartphone article. I worry about online literacy all the time - how will I teach my kids when I barely know the rules myself? It'

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (16) and Sarah (14). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

... check out past nightstand reads right here.