08 Dec, 2013

You know you love your dog too much when…

Posted by andrea tomkins in: dog stuff

We call her Beardo

1. You miss them when they’re not home and the house seems unnaturally quiet.

2. They eat better dinners than you do sometimes.

3. You read the nutrition panels on their food and snacks.

4. You sometimes worry about their health and well-being more than you do your own.

5. You can never stay mad at them for very long.

6. You use their middle name when they’re being scolded.

7. They have a middle name.

8. You buy them clothing, which makes them look even more adorable. (How is that even possible?!)

9. Your camera/smartphone has more pictures of the dog on it than your children.

10. You purposely drop food on the floor for them while you’re cooking.

11. You talk to them, even though you know they don’t understand. (“Wasn’t that a GREAT walk?”)

12. When talking to your dog you make up nonsensical words and your voice raises an octave. And you’d DIE ON THE SPOT if someone you actually knew overheard you talking to your dog.

13. You wear reflective clothing when you walk them at night.

14. You make the dog wear reflecting clothing at night. And a clip-on light.

15. You imagine what you’d do if another dog attacked your dog, and what you’d do/say to their owner. And it’s never pretty.

16. You’d sell your most prized possessions to get them the medical help they need.

17. When you read news stories about abused pets it always brings you to tears.

18. You buy your dog Christmas gifts.

19. You wrap the gifts.

20. You know in your heart that there’s no such thing as loving your dog too much, because love knows no bounds, especially for man’s best friend.

Tags: ,

Print this post Print this post

8 Responses to "You know you love your dog too much when…"

1 | Natalie

December 8th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Agreed :) except I have a cat! Pets make us better people don’t they?

2 | Melanie

December 8th, 2013 at 4:46 pm

So true…I’d like to add that we Skype’d our dog while on vacation! Too much?

3 | Amy

December 8th, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Our dog has a title and a middle name

4 | wendy

December 8th, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Ended a friendship because she said walking a dog is a time waster!! LOL

5 | wth?

December 9th, 2013 at 3:37 pm

No dog or cat. Finding it hard to understand or relate.

6 | andrea tomkins

December 9th, 2013 at 6:24 pm

What can I say, other than people who really love their pets REALLY love their pets. :)

7 | J Lee

December 10th, 2013 at 10:12 am

This reminds me of my room mate! I don’t think he could every have a girlfriend – his dog is the only lady in his life.

8 | Brandy

January 1st, 2014 at 9:52 am

This list is awesome and so very true!

NAC Ottawa family events

Summertime fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

bucketlist

etc.

• Susan: I recommend Frontenac (Provincial Park 2/3s the way to Kingston from Ottawa). There are hike in sites, canoe in sites and no car camping. There is a c
  • Greg: An alternative is camping off-season. Once schools are in session you lose most of the families with kids during the week. The folks who want to sit a
  • Misty Pratt: oh, and get a radio-free site!! It helps not to have music blaring, although it doesn't take care of arguments about socks :)
  • Misty Pratt: yup, agree with the other comments about the canoe. You're only going to get peace and quiet if you canoe or hike in somewhere, and I find hiking kind
  • Carla: My favourite-est park is Papineau Labelle in the Gatineau side, great casse-croutes on the way back. Definitely explore nature the other side of the
  • Grenouille: Love the frog photo.
  • Less is more: I too have had it with car camping. It was fun and I think our Provincial/National parks are jewels, but I no longer risk having my fun ruined by lou

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 758 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's a recent one:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: