17 Jan, 2014

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

If you haven’t guessed already, I’m referring to this:

One line a day

It’s a journal, and I think it’s pretty cool. I bought it sometime last year, and during a cleaning frenzy it got swept into a drawer and it was forgotten. This is what it looks like inside:

Low tech microblogging!

The idea is to write one line every day, and, if you are able to keep it up, you have a succinct five year overview when you’re finished.

Five years a rather lofty goal, but not impossible. I figure there are other things in my night-time routine that I’m doing – such as brushing my teeth – so it isn’t too onerous to add this into the mix.

The space for each entry is very short, and allows for only one or two sentences. It’s reminiscent of the journal I wrote about in Canadian Family Magazine awhile back – you can read the online version right here – but this time around I’m not just jotting down my happy moments. (As useful as that was at the time.) For this particular journal I’m simply writing about what happened that day. I have found it to be a fairly useful exercise. Not only does it give me a moment to stop and reflect, but I get to choose how to summarize my day. This may seem kind of obvious. I’m the one holding the pen, of course I get to choose how to summarize my day! But will I let my darker thoughts/anxieties/ worries cloud the rest of my day? And take up space in my journal and become my last waking thoughts? That’s the question.

7 Responses to "The ultimate microblogging tool! No chance of password leaks, ads, or privacy breaches!"

1 | Valerie

January 17th, 2014 at 11:39 am

um, totally open to privacy breaches, I think. Unless you carry it on your person 24/7. :p

2 | Mimi Golding

January 17th, 2014 at 3:40 pm

This is so awesome. Where’d you get it?

3 | andrea tomkins

January 17th, 2014 at 3:43 pm

LOL Valerie, you’re right. I was thinking of a different kind of privacy breach. :)

Mimi, I picked it up at the Carlingwood Coles… which is part of Chapters.

4 | Sara

January 17th, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I love the idea of starting one of these for each of the boys!

5 | Lisa from Iroquois

January 19th, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Reminds me of those tiny multi year diaries that came with a lock and a key. Be fabulous for a gardner, jotting down weather and activities, or for tracking family health.

6 | Genevieve

January 19th, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I have one of these that asks a different question every day. Some questions are silly, such as “What did you have for breakfast?”, while others are much deeper, such as “What do you value most?” or “Where do you think you’ll be in 5 years?”… etc.
I’m currently on year 2 and it’s already neat to see what I was doing/how I was feeling last year!

7 | David Mackie

January 22nd, 2014 at 9:53 am

My great aunt kept these diaries for her entire life. When she passed away we found a box full of them dating back to the 1930s. It was a wonderful treasure to find.

• andrea tomkins: Thanks Lynn! I will keep doing it as long as I enjoy doing it. :)
  • Lynn: just chiming in to say how much I still enjoy these weekly reading lists. That Google food one was fascinating!
  • Nick: In February, only one thing is good - this is the last month of winter and spring will come soon and it will be warm)
  • Tannia: I someone today who said he played polkaroo.
  • Tannia: What was the actor's name who played polkaroo?
  • Lynn: Oh man, I can see this as my future in just a few short years. Between you and Allison (who's oldest is off in America for university), I can hardly r
  • Amy: Although what your daughter says makes sense and I'd follow her advice when you can, keep in mind that ride-sharing apps are a very recent way to trav