16 Oct, 2014

Shop The Neighbourhood

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Oh! Things!|Ottawa|Publishing/writing/career stuff

Shop The Neighbourhood

Many of you Fishies already know how passionate I am about shopping locally. It’s something I’ve written a lot about here before and try to do whenever I can. It is a perfect fit with my shopping philosophy:

Buy fewer things, that matter more.

I do what I can to be a conscious consumer, and part of that means supporting local businesses. I’m a local business too, and local businesses help pay my wage, so this topic is important to me. When I spend my money locally I am keeping dollars in our community, and ensuring that my neighbourhood stays the vibrant, fun place that I want to live.

A few months ago I was one of five bloggers across Canada who was hired to write about seven different shops in our respective neighbourhoods for a very special campaign. Shop The Neighbourhood is an initiative of Yellow Pages, a company that has a very long history of working with Canada’s small businesses. The Shop The Neighbourhood campaign encourages Canadians to support the small businesses in their communities by making a local purchase on November 29. (You can learn more about the campaign on their Facebook page.)

My job was to visit each local gem in the neighbourhood, interview the owners, and take photos at each stop along the way.

Pizza love #latergram

Cha ching! #latergram

Cardamom and Cloves

Ruffles. #latergram

It was really cool to get to know the people behind each store and hear their stories; their challenges and successes. I’m very happy to (finally!) be able to tell you that their stories are now online at the Shop The Neighbourhood website. I’d love it if you clicked over and had a peek. Who knows, maybe you’ll discover a new place to visit?

The other part of Shop The Neighbourhood is actually shopping, instead of just reading about shopping. :) I’d be so happy if you marked your calendars and chose an independent shop – any shop in your neighbourhood – and made a purchase on November 29. Whether it’s an early Christmas card, a stocking stuffer for the child/chef/gardener/golfer/cyclist in your life, or something bigger, your support of local merchants will make a big difference. What better way to show how much you love the city in which you live?

Tell me, what’s YOUR favourite local store? Leave a link below and let me know. I’d love to hear about it!

9 Responses to "Shop The Neighbourhood"

1 | Stefania

October 16th, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Nice work. It was nice to read the profiles.

2 | kjt

October 16th, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Nice idea. We love Carmello’s.

3 | andrea tomkins

October 16th, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Thanks guys! I am so happy with how the profiles turned out. Great design work always makes the writer look good. :)

4 | Lynn

October 16th, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Lovely! The layout and photos are just as gorgeous as the words. How did you pick the shops? I’m sure I could never narrow it down to just seven :).

5 | andrea tomkins

October 17th, 2014 at 7:12 am

Lynn: the shops were assigned to me, so some of these were totally new. Such as Carmello’s. I can’t wait to bring the family there for some pizza!

6 | Life of K

October 17th, 2014 at 9:18 am

I don’t buy much, so I’m not sure this counts, but I love my local yoga studio. The owner lives in the neighbourhood and they sponsor all sorts of local teams and groups, plus the classes are awesome.

7 | Misty Pratt

October 17th, 2014 at 9:46 am

I wish someone would do this for Orleans. It makes me sad that my neighborhood is so neglected!! We like shopping at Pantry Plus for natural food items, and my hubby loves Orleans Cycle for biking stuff. We also love eating at Rangoli for Indian food, and Little Turkish Village is yummy. I just wish some more local/small businesses could thrive in Orleans just like they do downtown.

8 | raymond labonte

October 18th, 2014 at 11:15 am

La maison Baguette, montreal road, great coffee house, excellent bakery, fantastic atmosphere.

9 | Ottawa giveaway alert: win a $100 gift card to terra20 >> a peek inside the fishbowl

November 28th, 2014 at 1:59 pm

[…] in the Shop the Neighbourhood campaign. (You can read more about my participation in that here.) The first 50 people in the Wellington West store on November 29 will receive a $10 terra20 gift […]

• andrea tomkins: I'm happy to have the one tent! This particular site wasn't big enough to accommodate two tents, even two smaller ones. The view at this site was love
  • Splake: One big tent or two small? Hm? 2 small is better, me thinks. Views?
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive Silent Lake 2018: last post! - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] been a busy week! The highlights: I got to fly on a vintage WWII bomber and Mark and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary with a little
  • Bloodless: The park definitely is super-fun. I agree about the asphalt pathways - which is why we definitely wear our water shoes. The Vortex is an interesting
  • andrea tomkins: It was REALLY special. The more I think about it, the more grateful I am to have had this experience. re: the volume. Everyone was given headphones
  • Brien Marshall: Thanks for sharing that - what a way to get a visceral sense of how those airmen must have felt, minus the extra fear of not knowing if this would be
  • Ginger: And now I read part two and followed your link back to hiking with fly paper attached to your hat... Maybe camping in Canada isn't so different tha