26 Jan, 2016

I think I found the perfect macaroni and cheese recipe

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

January 25 #dailylunches - homemade mac and cheese

The other night I tweeted a plea for a new macaroni and cheese recipe. Our usual from Joy of Cooking is a household staple around here but I was in the mood for something a little different. Not TOO different, of course. The family wouldn’t tolerate the sudden inclusion of pureed squash or lentils. But I have been feeling restless lately so why not take it out on dinner?

I got some good feedback, which was awesome (and made me very hungry). I wanted to share a bunch of the recipes here for reference:

I ultimately used this recipe for a classic baked macaroni and cheese that @Tarahcm shared. At first glance, I assumed it was a little too close to my Joy of Cooking version, but I was wrong. Not that mac and cheese is an overly complicated dish, but this version was easy to pull together overall, and in the end, it was delicious. It was just the thing my tummy needed! I added a dash of paprika to the cheese mixture and topped the whole kit n’ kaboodle with a layer of panko (panko has pretty much changed my life) I had tossed with a bit of melted butter and one clove of minced garlic. The recipe is a keeper for sure, although the recipes listed above may still come into play later on. Woot! There will never be a shortage of great mac & cheese recipes in my life from now on! :)

6 Responses to "I think I found the perfect macaroni and cheese recipe"

1 | Molly

January 26th, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I love mac & cheese. It is a cinch to make – I especially like it with a side of broccoli or a crunchy salad. I even whip it up (stove top version) in the morning when we are short on sandwich fixings. And I agree about pankos. They have had a huge impact on my life!

2 | sassymonkey

January 26th, 2016 at 4:03 pm

It’s too bad you can’t sell them on the squash because it’s actually really good.

The next time you want to shake things up, use gnocchi instead of macaroni. It’s soft, pillowy perfection.

3 | binki

January 29th, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Panko in Mac’nCheese. That is brilliant. I must try this.

4 | andrea tomkins

January 29th, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Sassy: I would love the addition of the squash. Sigh. I like the idea of the gnocchi too!

binki: do try it! Let me know how it works out!

5 | Kate

February 2nd, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Do you know what is even better than panko on mac and cheese? Crushed up homemade croutons from Parma Ravioli on Wellington St, mixed with a little parmesan. Good way to use the crumbs that are left at the bottom of the bag (instead of just eating them by the handful!).

6 | andrea tomkins

February 3rd, 2016 at 9:36 am

Ohhh! Good tip Kate! Thanks!

• FD: We love puzzles and my kids have been talking non-stop about exploding kittens so the exploding kittens puzzle ticks off two things on our list all in
  • Nora: Posted on FB too! ; )
  • Nora: I have a llama fanatic so that windup toy would be a bit! I love Tiggywinkles for stocking stuffers, games and puzzles. Thanks for the opportunity!
  • Jacquie: Posted on Facebook too. :)
  • Jacquie: We would finally get Settlers of Catan! I have heard so much about it and think our family would love it.
  • Dani: Stocking Stuffers for my impossible to shop for kids ?
  • Pearl: Star Trek cats & iron on patches. Might browse costumes too.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.