26 Jan, 2016

I think I found the perfect macaroni and cheese recipe

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

January 25 #dailylunches - homemade mac and cheese

The other night I tweeted a plea for a new macaroni and cheese recipe. Our usual from Joy of Cooking is a household staple around here but I was in the mood for something a little different. Not TOO different, of course. The family wouldn’t tolerate the sudden inclusion of pureed squash or lentils. But I have been feeling restless lately so why not take it out on dinner?

I got some good feedback, which was awesome (and made me very hungry). I wanted to share a bunch of the recipes here for reference:

I ultimately used this recipe for a classic baked macaroni and cheese that @Tarahcm shared. At first glance, I assumed it was a little too close to my Joy of Cooking version, but I was wrong. Not that mac and cheese is an overly complicated dish, but this version was easy to pull together overall, and in the end, it was delicious. It was just the thing my tummy needed! I added a dash of paprika to the cheese mixture and topped the whole kit n’ kaboodle with a layer of panko (panko has pretty much changed my life) I had tossed with a bit of melted butter and one clove of minced garlic. The recipe is a keeper for sure, although the recipes listed above may still come into play later on. Woot! There will never be a shortage of great mac & cheese recipes in my life from now on! :)

6 Responses to "I think I found the perfect macaroni and cheese recipe"

1 | Molly

January 26th, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I love mac & cheese. It is a cinch to make – I especially like it with a side of broccoli or a crunchy salad. I even whip it up (stove top version) in the morning when we are short on sandwich fixings. And I agree about pankos. They have had a huge impact on my life!

2 | sassymonkey

January 26th, 2016 at 4:03 pm

It’s too bad you can’t sell them on the squash because it’s actually really good.

The next time you want to shake things up, use gnocchi instead of macaroni. It’s soft, pillowy perfection.

3 | binki

January 29th, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Panko in Mac’nCheese. That is brilliant. I must try this.

4 | andrea tomkins

January 29th, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Sassy: I would love the addition of the squash. Sigh. I like the idea of the gnocchi too!

binki: do try it! Let me know how it works out!

5 | Kate

February 2nd, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Do you know what is even better than panko on mac and cheese? Crushed up homemade croutons from Parma Ravioli on Wellington St, mixed with a little parmesan. Good way to use the crumbs that are left at the bottom of the bag (instead of just eating them by the handful!).

6 | andrea tomkins

February 3rd, 2016 at 9:36 am

Ohhh! Good tip Kate! Thanks!

terra20 Ottawa

Expert lice removal services in Ottawa with Lice Services Canada

• SJM: My father sent epic care packages when I was at Uni - one per term. It included a 6 pack of beer and lots of food. This was when postage was much chea
  • andrea tomkins: I KNOW. It's crazy that we are now the parents of an adult. I can hardly believe it myself most days! :)
  • Allison: What!!??!! How is your daughter in university?!! That just cannot be!!! So glad to hear she is adjusting well and having fun and enjoying her classes
  • andrea tomkins: Great ideas Joy! Especially the POST-its! They're actually an expensive purchase for a student, so they'd make a nice addition to a care package.
  • joy: cute and fun - I would love to receive things like this! How about notebooks, magazines, post-it notes, seasonal treats, lip balms, gift cards for fav
  • andrea tomkins: Ooh! Good one Alison! A good (long!) phone charge cord could be welcome as well.
  • Alison in Ottawa: Another pair of ear phones. My daughter can never keep track of them.