05 Feb, 2007

Monday Show and Tell: now all we need is a partridge

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Mondays are for Show and Tell|Easy ways to make kids happy|Photography

I was going to get this online earlier but was thrown off by some major tomato soup spillage on our almost-brand new dining room rug.

My tears are dry now (yes, I was bawling as I scrubbed out the stains… Sarah was too), the carpet survived, and we are finally past it all.

Here is Sarah with her newly-sprouted pear tree. She started it from seed, from a pear that came from the grocery store. It’s growing in a former container of pear-flavoured yogurt. For some reason the girls find this really funny.

Sarah's pear tree

Sarah says: “I planted this seed because I thought it would grow and that I would get a tree someday. I don’t think seeds are brown, I think they are green inside. Seeds aren’t so boring. They can be very fun. Trees aren’t boring either. You can climb them, put swings on them and then swing on the swings.”

* would you like to particpate in our Monday Show and Tell? Read more in our past installments.

7 Responses to "Monday Show and Tell: now all we need is a partridge"

1 | Claudette

February 5th, 2007 at 2:25 pm

Well Sarah, I sure enjoy seeing your little sprouted plant growing like that! Maybe in the summer you can plant it outside.

I grew a lemon seed that way many years ago, and it grew to about 1 meter tall before it died a few years later. Canadian winters are too cold for lemon trees to survive. Pear trees will do much better!

Good luck!

2 | megan

February 5th, 2007 at 3:37 pm

I don’t know how to make a permalink (or what that is) but Evelyn has contributed to show and tell on my blog.

February 5th, 2007 at 4:09 pm

Megan! Thanks for your contribution. I’m off to check it out and comment.

p.s. this is your permalink:

4 | megan

February 5th, 2007 at 5:13 pm

Hey Sarah, I didn’t even know that you could grow pears at home! I think I will show this to my little girls and see if they would like to try it too. Their names are Evelyn who is 6 and a half and Audrey who is four and a half. Good luck with your pear tree, maybe your can grow your own pears in the backyard and then you won’t have to buy any at the store.

5 | Marla

February 5th, 2007 at 5:42 pm

Josie is helping to show and tell about some visitors we um..er…experienced on Sunday:

I couldn’t do a good video, because I constantly had to put the camera down and rescue…things….

6 | Marla

February 5th, 2007 at 5:42 pm

and eeeps! THE rug?!?!

February 5th, 2007 at 7:10 pm

Marla: Yes. THAT rug.

p.s. the best part of your story was the snake bra. I’m still laughing….

terra20 Ottawa