22 Mar, 2008

Easter part one

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Easy ways to make kids happy|Ottawa|Photography

First up, the Ottawa Home & Garden Show. (Am I the only one who can’t deal with the hard sell? It was alternately inspiring and extremely uncomfortable.)

Next, lunch at the Heart & Crown on Preston. Emma got the best deal, a giant piece of battered fish abed a pile of fries, all for six bucks. Sarah ordered mac and cheese. I thought it would be a smaller portion of homemade stuff that makes an appearance on the regular menu, alas, it was not. It was k.d., also, for six bucks.

After lunch we were going to check out the Springly stuff at the Experimental Farm, but as our tiny Mazda Protege pulled into a sea of parked mini vans, we realized the entire city had the exact same idea we did. Mark and I couldn’t bear the idea of dealing with the crowds of toddlers and parents and their chariots… all fighting to see the baby lambs chicks etc. So we high-tailed it to the tropical greenhouse instead. Ever been there? I have to say, it was pretty cool, knowing that beyond the cacti and banana trees there were piles and piles of snow. And we had the whole place to ourselves.

Cacti row

Wee prickly thing

Emma in the greenhouse

Bananas really do grow in Ottawa!

Sarah peeks

And then we did the egg thing. Check out the double yolks!
Double yolker!

Egg dying

Pink Easter egg

Easter eggs

After the egg dying we did another craft, but it’s drying, so it’ll have to wait. The girls had so much fun doing this one. Full info and pics to come.

Tomorrow is Easter part two. As I type this I can hear the girls chanting as they march up the stairs: “the Easter Bunny’s coming! The Easter Bunny’s coming!”

It’s been a good day. But I’m wiped.

Tags:

9 Responses to "Easter part one"

1 | porter

March 22nd, 2008 at 11:10 pm

looks like lots of family fun. we decorated eggs today too, and i’m so proud of myself that i hard boiled just the right number of eggs (2 doz) to keep the kids interested and busy. happy easter.

2 | Cath

March 23rd, 2008 at 8:38 am

Wow – great idea re: the greenhouse – I never thought of that but should have. We take B to the Farm almost every weekend and didn’t realize there would be so much going on on Friday — usually when we pull up, there are three cars in the lot and when we got there Friday morning at 945 the lot was full. The area outside the cow barn looked like Starbucks after Strollercize! Yick. We high-tailed out of there.

3 | Julie

March 23rd, 2008 at 1:27 pm

We chose to go to the Children’s Museum for the egg hunt… also a chaotic experience. Ugh.

4 | scattered mom

March 23rd, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Sounds like so much fun!

Jake is a bit old for egg hunts now, and besides, there aren’t any for his age where we live. :( I’m a bit sad about that.

5 | LO

March 23rd, 2008 at 2:03 pm

LOVE the pics you took in the greenhouse. Gave me hope for spring which i am finding especially hard (finding hope for Spring) as I am ‘fresh’ back from a week in California!
God help us as we wait and wait for spring!
i enjoy your blog! Funny, I am RIGHT here in Ottawa and never seem to meet the neat and artsy and fun moms.
Glad I found your site!
Lo

6 | BeachMama

March 24th, 2008 at 8:54 am

Love it! I had no idea there was a greenhouse. We were at the farm. Lots of people and why oh why do they bring their strollers??? We used the backpack and it was great. With one building closed though, not as much to venture through.

7 | Meghan

March 24th, 2008 at 3:30 pm

Where is this greenhouse? Carleton U?

March 24th, 2008 at 6:20 pm

It’s part of the Arboretum at the Experiemental Farm. There’s a bit of extra info here.

9 | J.

March 26th, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Wow those eggs are really cute. :)

• a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive Surface tension - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] book, and watched avian-related antics in the backyard. I will say once again for the record that expanding our bird feeder set up was one o
  • andrea tomkins: I'm happy to hear! Thank you for letting me know Inge. :) Merry Christmas to you!
  • Inge: Our family still uses our Advent Envelopes inspired by you! I think we are going on twelve years now. Thank you for the inspiration! Merry Christmas!
  • Mort: I'm usually very good but was gripped with mild panic at the drug store Saturday when I suddenly realized I'd forgotten my mask. Normally there's a ba
  • Michael: You could mix up all your ingredients and form the dough, cover the put it in the fridge. This will cause the dough to perform a slow rise, so if done
  • Sally Dowe Marchand: Wow. Well done. I too have done something as absent-minded as walking into a store and taking my mask off. Inside right so remove it. I immediately re
  • sassygirl: i like hearing your voice on the browser version. it’s well done! (: