31 Dec, 2008

Desperately seeking New Year’s activity for kids in Ottawa

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Easy ways to make kids happy

Our plan was to go to Alight at Night at Upper Canada Village (same as last year) but they’re calling for nostril-freezing weather. I’m no wuss, but I do hate to see the thermometer dip so low. We’ve been watching the weather and debating the benefits of staying closer to home. But what else is there to do? What kid-friendly things are going on around town? A quick google hasn’t revealed anything really interesting. I’ll be damned if I spend the evening playing board games and watching Dick Clark.

How are you ringing in the New Year?

Tags: , ,

Print this post Print this post

7 Responses to "Desperately seeking New Year’s activity for kids in Ottawa"

1 | Carla

December 31st, 2008 at 1:04 pm

A friend passed on your blog and now thinking of the shopping embargo. good idea.

Dovercourt is hosting a walk the labyrinth evening from 7-10 pm tonight. Children welcome. The rink will be open and there will be a movie in the lobby. Free! They say to bring some cookies. Organisers email is: labyrinthevent@gmail.com

2 | LO

December 31st, 2008 at 3:23 pm

I was going to mention the Dovercourt idea…and then home for a chocolate fondue!!!!!!!!

3 | karen

December 31st, 2008 at 3:58 pm

We are braving the cold and going to Alight at Night.
We will have to dress more warmly than I had planned but since we went last year the kids now seem to think it is a tradition.

4 | scatteredmom

December 31st, 2008 at 4:38 pm

Being over in a tiny town on the coast of BC, I admit that there is really nothing to do here. Hubs and I were lamenting this just this morning. We could drive over to the city, but it would mean a hotel room and we just don’t want to spend that much.

So we’re doing what we did for years when we didn’t find something to attend and Jake was small…rent a whole pile of movies, I put on an appetizer spread for dinner, and we curl up under the blankets by the fire for the evening. I was a bit worried that Jake, with his newfound teenagerhood might find it lame, but he actually turned down the offer of a sleepover with friends to hang with us.

I guess it’s not so lame after all! :)

5 | Nicole

January 2nd, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I wish I could have found something child friendly to do on New Years!
We ended up staying home by ourselves all night and watching treehouse… lol

6 | Porter

January 2nd, 2009 at 3:17 pm

We hid the clocks and didn’t bring in the New Year…I’m going to post about it when we get back from the cottage. Nice New Years….but quiet.

7 | DAR

December 31st, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Centrepointe dr has a skating party sleigh rides and fireworks at 10 there will be hot chocolate… there will be a magic show theme is wizard of oz and a performance on the ice all free

rink of dreams is having a scottish party fireworks and scottish band from cape breton…..

sparks street is having a first ever times square theme party ….bands and light show with some big surprise at midnight….restaurents will be open to warm up

NAC Ottawa events

Christmas ideas from Saunders Farm!

Frogs - a Chorus of Colours - at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Funhaven - Ottawa's destination for birthday parties and fun

terra20 Ottawa celebrates Earth Month

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

IMAX 3D - Journey to the South Pacific

bucketlist

etc.

• Christine: i would try the ukelele class!!
  • Carolyn: It would likely be Family Art or Family Djembe. Any one of our kids would totally be into those if only because then their parent would have to final
  • Tracey: Our family would sign up for family guitar - amazing!! I wish we could sign up for 'family' stuff everywhere, especially at the gym!!
  • Bonnie: Music in Motion 1 for my eldest daughter. What fun!
  • Brenda A: Rock n Roll choir sounds like such a great time and my girls would love this course. I wish much success to the Bluesfest School!
  • Jennifer D: Music in Motion 1 looks like a lot of fun!
  • KL: I think my daughter would love the Rock-n-Roll choir although I'm wondering if Family Guitar would be fun for her and dad.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (14) and Sarah (12). I am the Editor of the Kitchissippi Times as well as Capital Parent Newspaper. I'm also a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999 (which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which). The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 665 and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:
Created with flickr badge.
Click the photo for details: what it is, where I ate it (if it's worth a mention!), and how to cook it (if there happens to be a recipe). You can also read more about this project right here.

Sideblog

A year before

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too:

Follow the Fishbowl’s companion page on Facebook

Let's stick a pin in that

Miz Mooz Women's Car