15 Aug, 2009

Park Omega in Montebello: one of my fave destinations for a family road trip

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Easy ways to make kids happy|Photography|travel talk

Not to get all braggy or anything, but have I told you recently how much I love my SavvyMom gig? Not only do I get to work with great people, but my assignments give me the opportunity to explore some very cool, family-friendly fun in the Ottawa area AND stretch my creative muscle too. Is that awesome or what?

My most recent piece was about Le Parc Oméga/Park Omega. You can read it here.

Feeding the animals at Park Omega

I love Park Omega. Scratch that. I adore it. We visit every year, faithfully bringing bags of carrots to a legion of waiting critters. We never leave without (a) busting a gut laughing (b) seeing something really interesting and memorable,  and (c) getting slobbered on by giant ungulates who try to stick their giant heads in our tiny car.

I enjoy our visits to Park Omega so much that I tend to talk it up a lot to local Ottawa moms.

“Have you ever been to Park Omega?” I’d ask. There is almost always a momentary blank look, followed by a slow-coming realization.
“Ummmm, no. Is that the place where you drive and look at the animals?”

Many of us here in Ottawa are transplants from the Toronto area. That’s why it doesn’t surprise me that there’s an automatic association made to African Lion Safari once I mention Park Omega.

If you grew up in the Toronto area you probably remember the commercial:

But I am here to say that Park Omega is not like African Lion Safari. In fact, the only thing they have in common is the fact that (a) there are animals and (b) you’re in your car.

If you’re read the SavvyMom article you’ll learn pretty much everything there is to know about making a trip to this awesome place, but I do want to stress this point:

DO NOT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT YOUR CAMERA.

It’s the best photo-op you’ll get all summer and your kids will remember it forever.

I had a lot of trouble picking one photo to represent our trip, so I just threw a bunch up in my Flickr. I think it’ll give you a good idea of what Park Omega is all about. :)

Print this post Print this post

7 Responses to "Park Omega in Montebello: one of my fave destinations for a family road trip"

1 | lacoop

August 15th, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Parc Omega is great! But I am not sure we went to the same place…because none of my photos looks as good as yours!

2 | mrsgryphon

August 15th, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Oh, it looks like so much fun! I love that you can get out and wander around, have a picnic among the animals.

3 | LO

August 16th, 2009 at 7:08 pm

OH MY GOSH! WE just went there today and it was absolutely fantastic! I am a bit of a kill joy aka hard to impress transplanted Torontonian but this place is worth the drive and the cost!!!!!!! WE finished the day with a linner (late lunch) at Montebello!!!!
And yeah, we have major animal slobber all over the windows!

4 | Amy @ Muddy Boots

August 18th, 2009 at 8:25 am

We went a month or so ago… AND LOVED IT. I wasn’t good enough to my readers (*wink*) to direct them to flickr and instead put buckets of pics on my blog. Here are the posts,

Part I: http://muddybootsblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/park-omega-part-1-get-that-wapiti-out.html

Part 2: http://muddybootsblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/omega-park-part-2-birds-of-prey.html

The second part has all the shots from the birds of prey show. Was that still offered when you were there?

August 18th, 2009 at 8:41 am

Amy – I saw your pics … they are fab.

We went very early in the summer, but I’d been sitting on this post and the pics until the Savvy piece came out.

The Birds of Prey show was offered when we were there, but at a time that wasn’t convenient to us. We decided to do the little trail instead. This paid off in spades. It’s a very quiet place. And this is where we saw the wolves (and a cub!) and a bear climbing a tree (which is one of the pics in the slide show.)

6 | The ultimate Canadian adventure? It’s dogsledding. >> a peek inside the fishbowl

January 25th, 2010 at 9:19 am

[...] Fairmont Château Montebello is about an hour outside of Ottawa (very near Parc Omega), and it’s a great place to spend a wintery afternoon, even if you aren’t a guest of [...]

7 | The Ultimate Ottawa bucket list! >> a peek inside the fishbowl

April 25th, 2012 at 7:18 am

[...] Be brave! Feed the beasts at Parc Omega [...]

NAC Ottawa events

Christmas ideas from Saunders Farm!

Frogs - a Chorus of Colours - at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Funhaven - Ottawa's destination for birthday parties and fun

terra20 Ottawa celebrates Earth Month

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

IMAX 3D - Journey to the South Pacific

bucketlist

etc.

• Tracey: Our family would sign up for family guitar - amazing!! I wish we could sign up for 'family' stuff everywhere, especially at the gym!!
  • Bonnie: Music in Motion 1 for my eldest daughter. What fun!
  • Brenda A: Rock n Roll choir sounds like such a great time and my girls would love this course. I wish much success to the Bluesfest School!
  • Jennifer D: Music in Motion 1 looks like a lot of fun!
  • KL: I think my daughter would love the Rock-n-Roll choir although I'm wondering if Family Guitar would be fun for her and dad.
  • kaitlin: I would let me 14-year old niece pick. I suspect she would pick the brilliant "Be in the Band" initiative and lend her amazing vocal skills.
  • Karen: What a great giveaway ! Would definitely go for the Family Guitar Class :)

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (14) and Sarah (12). I am the Editor of the Kitchissippi Times as well as Capital Parent Newspaper. I'm also a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999 (which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which). The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 665 and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:
Created with flickr badge.
Click the photo for details: what it is, where I ate it (if it's worth a mention!), and how to cook it (if there happens to be a recipe). You can also read more about this project right here.

Sideblog

A year before

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too:

Follow the Fishbowl’s companion page on Facebook

Let's stick a pin in that

Miz Mooz Women's Car