15 Aug, 2009

Park Omega in Montebello: one of my fave destinations for a family road trip

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Easy ways to make kids happy|Photography|travel talk

Not to get all braggy or anything, but have I told you recently how much I love my SavvyMom gig? Not only do I get to work with great people, but my assignments give me the opportunity to explore some very cool, family-friendly fun in the Ottawa area AND stretch my creative muscle too. Is that awesome or what?

My most recent piece was about Le Parc Oméga/Park Omega. You can read it here.

Feeding the animals at Park Omega

I love Park Omega. Scratch that. I adore it. We visit every year, faithfully bringing bags of carrots to a legion of waiting critters. We never leave without (a) busting a gut laughing (b) seeing something really interesting and memorable,  and (c) getting slobbered on by giant ungulates who try to stick their giant heads in our tiny car.

I enjoy our visits to Park Omega so much that I tend to talk it up a lot to local Ottawa moms.

“Have you ever been to Park Omega?” I’d ask. There is almost always a momentary blank look, followed by a slow-coming realization.
“Ummmm, no. Is that the place where you drive and look at the animals?”

Many of us here in Ottawa are transplants from the Toronto area. That’s why it doesn’t surprise me that there’s an automatic association made to African Lion Safari once I mention Park Omega.

If you grew up in the Toronto area you probably remember the commercial:

But I am here to say that Park Omega is not like African Lion Safari. In fact, the only thing they have in common is the fact that (a) there are animals and (b) you’re in your car.

If you’re read the SavvyMom article you’ll learn pretty much everything there is to know about making a trip to this awesome place, but I do want to stress this point:

It’s the best photo-op you’ll get all summer and your kids will remember it forever.

I had a lot of trouble picking one photo to represent our trip, so I just threw a bunch up in my Flickr. I think it’ll give you a good idea of what Park Omega is all about. :)

7 Responses to "Park Omega in Montebello: one of my fave destinations for a family road trip"

1 | lacoop

August 15th, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Parc Omega is great! But I am not sure we went to the same place…because none of my photos looks as good as yours!

2 | mrsgryphon

August 15th, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Oh, it looks like so much fun! I love that you can get out and wander around, have a picnic among the animals.

3 | LO

August 16th, 2009 at 7:08 pm

OH MY GOSH! WE just went there today and it was absolutely fantastic! I am a bit of a kill joy aka hard to impress transplanted Torontonian but this place is worth the drive and the cost!!!!!!! WE finished the day with a linner (late lunch) at Montebello!!!!
And yeah, we have major animal slobber all over the windows!

4 | Amy @ Muddy Boots

August 18th, 2009 at 8:25 am

We went a month or so ago… AND LOVED IT. I wasn’t good enough to my readers (*wink*) to direct them to flickr and instead put buckets of pics on my blog. Here are the posts,

Part I: http://muddybootsblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/park-omega-part-1-get-that-wapiti-out.html

Part 2: http://muddybootsblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/omega-park-part-2-birds-of-prey.html

The second part has all the shots from the birds of prey show. Was that still offered when you were there?

August 18th, 2009 at 8:41 am

Amy – I saw your pics … they are fab.

We went very early in the summer, but I’d been sitting on this post and the pics until the Savvy piece came out.

The Birds of Prey show was offered when we were there, but at a time that wasn’t convenient to us. We decided to do the little trail instead. This paid off in spades. It’s a very quiet place. And this is where we saw the wolves (and a cub!) and a bear climbing a tree (which is one of the pics in the slide show.)

6 | The ultimate Canadian adventure? It’s dogsledding. >> a peek inside the fishbowl

January 25th, 2010 at 9:19 am

[...] Fairmont Château Montebello is about an hour outside of Ottawa (very near Parc Omega), and it’s a great place to spend a wintery afternoon, even if you aren’t a guest of [...]

7 | The Ultimate Ottawa bucket list! >> a peek inside the fishbowl

April 25th, 2012 at 7:18 am

[...] Be brave! Feed the beasts at Parc Omega [...]

NAC Ottawa culture days

Fall fun at Saunders Farm!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

OMS Ottawa Montessori schools

terra20 Ottawa

Bugs at the Canadian Museum of Nature Ottawa

• Kathy: I have had the PC credit card for a few months..Seemed to be working well, was enjoying getting the most points I could. But then I started to notice
  • capitaljunk: Great! Will have to try this on a lazy day :)
  • Lynn: Really enjoyed that smartphone article. I worry about online literacy all the time - how will I teach my kids when I barely know the rules myself? It'
  • Misty Pratt: Yum, I'll have to try and find this!
  • Brenda A: I love small happinesses.
  • Tom: A San Diego LASIK center advertising $499 an eye is simply too cheap to be possible.
  • Amy: I do something similar but brown up a couple slices chopped bacon and some onion before adding the garlic. A couple of my favorite variations to your

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (16) and Sarah (14). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

... check out past nightstand reads right here.