15 Aug, 2009

Park Omega in Montebello: one of my fave destinations for a family road trip

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Easy ways to make kids happy|Photography|travel talk

Not to get all braggy or anything, but have I told you recently how much I love my SavvyMom gig? Not only do I get to work with great people, but my assignments give me the opportunity to explore some very cool, family-friendly fun in the Ottawa area AND stretch my creative muscle too. Is that awesome or what?

My most recent piece was about Le Parc Oméga/Park Omega. You can read it here.

Feeding the animals at Park Omega

I love Park Omega. Scratch that. I adore it. We visit every year, faithfully bringing bags of carrots to a legion of waiting critters. We never leave without (a) busting a gut laughing (b) seeing something really interesting and memorable,  and (c) getting slobbered on by giant ungulates who try to stick their giant heads in our tiny car.

I enjoy our visits to Park Omega so much that I tend to talk it up a lot to local Ottawa moms.

“Have you ever been to Park Omega?” I’d ask. There is almost always a momentary blank look, followed by a slow-coming realization.
“Ummmm, no. Is that the place where you drive and look at the animals?”

Many of us here in Ottawa are transplants from the Toronto area. That’s why it doesn’t surprise me that there’s an automatic association made to African Lion Safari once I mention Park Omega.

If you grew up in the Toronto area you probably remember the commercial:

But I am here to say that Park Omega is not like African Lion Safari. In fact, the only thing they have in common is the fact that (a) there are animals and (b) you’re in your car.

If you’re read the SavvyMom article you’ll learn pretty much everything there is to know about making a trip to this awesome place, but I do want to stress this point:

DO NOT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT YOUR CAMERA.

It’s the best photo-op you’ll get all summer and your kids will remember it forever.

I had a lot of trouble picking one photo to represent our trip, so I just threw a bunch up in my Flickr. I think it’ll give you a good idea of what Park Omega is all about. :)

Print this post Print this post

7 Responses to "Park Omega in Montebello: one of my fave destinations for a family road trip"

1 | lacoop

August 15th, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Parc Omega is great! But I am not sure we went to the same place…because none of my photos looks as good as yours!

2 | mrsgryphon

August 15th, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Oh, it looks like so much fun! I love that you can get out and wander around, have a picnic among the animals.

3 | LO

August 16th, 2009 at 7:08 pm

OH MY GOSH! WE just went there today and it was absolutely fantastic! I am a bit of a kill joy aka hard to impress transplanted Torontonian but this place is worth the drive and the cost!!!!!!! WE finished the day with a linner (late lunch) at Montebello!!!!
And yeah, we have major animal slobber all over the windows!

4 | Amy @ Muddy Boots

August 18th, 2009 at 8:25 am

We went a month or so ago… AND LOVED IT. I wasn’t good enough to my readers (*wink*) to direct them to flickr and instead put buckets of pics on my blog. Here are the posts,

Part I: http://muddybootsblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/park-omega-part-1-get-that-wapiti-out.html

Part 2: http://muddybootsblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/omega-park-part-2-birds-of-prey.html

The second part has all the shots from the birds of prey show. Was that still offered when you were there?

August 18th, 2009 at 8:41 am

Amy – I saw your pics … they are fab.

We went very early in the summer, but I’d been sitting on this post and the pics until the Savvy piece came out.

The Birds of Prey show was offered when we were there, but at a time that wasn’t convenient to us. We decided to do the little trail instead. This paid off in spades. It’s a very quiet place. And this is where we saw the wolves (and a cub!) and a bear climbing a tree (which is one of the pics in the slide show.)

6 | The ultimate Canadian adventure? It’s dogsledding. >> a peek inside the fishbowl

January 25th, 2010 at 9:19 am

[...] Fairmont Château Montebello is about an hour outside of Ottawa (very near Parc Omega), and it’s a great place to spend a wintery afternoon, even if you aren’t a guest of [...]

7 | The Ultimate Ottawa bucket list! >> a peek inside the fishbowl

April 25th, 2012 at 7:18 am

[...] Be brave! Feed the beasts at Parc Omega [...]

NAC Ottawa family events

Saunders Farm annual passes for family fun!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

OMS Ottawa Montessori schools

Sara McConnell photography Ottawa

Rethink Tires - Community Renewal Fund

terra20 Ottawa

• Brenda A: We are quite over due for a family photo! The last time was 5 years ago. With kids, things change so much in that time. Thanks for the chance for a se
  • Emily Smith: The portraits of your family are beautiful!The last time we had a family session was 1 year ago. I'd love to have another one, since the kids have cha
  • Amanda: Took family photos in April when my baby was only three months old. They were cute but he didn't smile much then so they were all pretty serious! Now
  • TD: Professionally, 10 years ago
  • Tammy: It has been seven years since the last time we had family photos taken. My older son was 5 back then, and now he is taller than me...
  • Ginny: The last time we had family photos done was also with Sara, when we were just a family of 3, in January 2014. Baby #2 is due any day now!
  • Rebecca: The last time we had pictures done was 3 years ago this fall.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

On this date in the archives