29 Jul, 2011

I’m a killer. I’m a fruit fly killer.

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

If your kid gets lice it doesn’t mean they have a dirty scalp and you’re a bad mom, it just means you’re unlucky and that your kid rubbed heads or shared a pillow/hair brush/hat with a lice-infested person.

If you have fruit flies hovering around in your kitchen, it doesn’t mean you’re a slob, it means that you were unlucky enough to buy a piece of fruit at the grocery store that had fruit fly eggs on it. I bet you left a peach on the counter to ripen, the eggs hatched, and suddenly you have fruit flies. And they can be tough to get rid of.

If you ever find yourself in this boat I recommend you do two things.

Get rid of the offending fruit. Stick that peach in the fridge. Throw those ripe bananas in the freezer for future smoothies. (Better yet, rinse your fruit as soon as you get home from the grocery store.)

Make a fruit fly trap. I bet you have everything you need lying around the house already. You have to start the night before.

1) Don’t drink that last mouthful of wine in your glass. Leave it. This is your fruit fly bait.*

2) Leave the glass on the kitchen counter and stumble into bed.

3) The next morning, cover the glass with a tight layer of plastic wrap.

4) Take a toothpick and make some small holes in the top of the glass. They need to be large enough for the little buggers to crawl through, but small enough for them to not be able to escape. You might need to poke and tear a little bit.

Here’s some good news: FRUIT FLIES ARE NOT SMART.

5) Leave the covered glass on counter (or near that bowl of fruit).

Do not drink the wine.

My fruit fly trap!

Check the glass every once in awhile to see if the flies have taken the bait. You might need to swish the glass around every once in awhile to catch the smarter ones who didn’t fall for it and are staying on dry land. Dump your wine in the sink when all of the flies have been captured and drowned.

Death by wine! What a way to go, eh? :)

Do you have your own fruit fly remedy? Do share!

*We have since discovered that cider vinegar works even better than wine!

12 Responses to "I’m a killer. I’m a fruit fly killer."

1 | Ross Brown

July 29th, 2011 at 9:46 am

Death by wine: at least they die happy!

Seems like a waste of wine, to me. I’ve used juice in a cup, with a piece of paper rolled into a cone, the point with a small hole. I put the cone, point down, into the cup.

Flies get in but don’t get out.

I celebrate with a glass of wine! ;)

July 29th, 2011 at 10:09 am

Ross: I’m not sure if it’s a good death or a bad one. :)

Next time we have an invasion I just might test both methods. Juice in one glass, wine in other other? I think wine might win though. :)

3 | Nat

July 29th, 2011 at 11:20 am

I use vinegar usually, like cider or red whine vinegar… that way I can finish my wine. ;-)

4 | Cleo

July 29th, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I go the wine route too but the zen version as I can’t kill anything but have an unfortunate fruit fly invasion in my kitchen right now. I simply make trips outside with the glass every few hours after sneaking up on them and covering the top. Then we have a ceremonious release and I return the glass of wine to my kitchen island and wait for the next catch. I usually get 8-10 per trip. Three trips and my kitchen is bug-less and they are free to live the, what, 48 hours of life they were granted by their stingy creator. : )

5 | Javamom

July 29th, 2011 at 3:03 pm

the blog fodder that people come up with – brilliant!

LOL

6 | David

July 29th, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Don’t waste alcohol!
I sliced an orange in half, put in bowl with saran wrap. By bedtime I couldn’t see any part of the orange – it was smothered in fruit flies!

7 | neeroc

July 29th, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Ugh, I don’t have wine in the house, so I’m going to be trying some of the alternatives ASAP. You leave that compost bucket open for one half hour and they show up with suitcases!

8 | Sara

July 30th, 2011 at 10:23 am

It becomes an obsession of my DH every summer on how many he can trap with his red wine. Unfortunately we’ve had maggots on our counter instead of fruit flies and I never thought I’d say this, I miss them ;)

9 | betsy mae

July 30th, 2011 at 11:45 am

We’ve had maggots before too! Horrible!!
We’ve been lucky on the fruit fly front this year but I seem to recall trying a drop of dish soap in the centre of a tsp or so of vino on a shallow dish working well.

10 | Julie

August 2nd, 2011 at 11:49 am

We do the shallow dish of apple cider vinegar and a drop of dish soap in it. You don’t have to cover up the dish when you add the dish soap to it.

We had an infestation and I had 90% gone in an hour once I set up the trap.

Never waste your wine trapping flies. That’s what the cheap vinegar is for!

12 | Angie

January 27th, 2013 at 12:38 pm

A small bit of ketchup will work well, too. If I’m having a fruit fly issue and we happen to be having ketchup with dinner, I just scoop the leftover ketchup from the plates into the bottom of a bowl or cup and cover it with plastic wrap poked in small holes. It doesn’t spoil, so you could let this set out for several days if needed – it works best if it’s room temp anyway :)

• Jinjer @ Intrepid Arkansawyer: Hiya! I'm still reading you! Love your blog SO MUCH!
  • Agendepo168: Indonesia's Trusted and Recognized Online Slot Broker Agendepo168 is the best trusted slot machine game agent which was licensed by PAGCOR in Indones
  • bukausernesia: USERNESIA: Official Alternative Link to Usernesia Website Determing the best and most trustworthy location to play online gambling is now the key
  • BandarUsernesia: you can find not many gambling sites in Dalam negri that can hold the title since the finest slot gambling site. One of all of them is BandarUser
  • andrea tomkins: Hmmm. I will try it!
  • andrea tomkins: Good to know! Thanks Jenn!
  • Jenn Hagen: I like the PlantNet app for ID purposes - there is a Cdn version. Gives habitat info and uses your photos to help ID. I’ve not checked if it does ?