14 Dec, 2012

Family Advent Day 12 – Butter Beer and Harry Potter

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Recipes and Food

We’re big Harry Potter fans around Casa Fishbowl. We read ALL the books as a family one chapter at a time. And when we finished, my youngest picked them up and started from the beginning. We’ve seen a bunch of the movies at the theatre and bought the DVDs, and even went to Toronto to see the Harry Potter exhibit when it was at the Science Centre awhile back. Sooner than later I’d love to take the family to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando. (Here’s a link, doesn’t it look awesome?)

Harry Potter is a children’s story yet it appeals to the inner child in many of us. Wouldn’t you love to visit Zonko’s Joke shop? Ride a broomstick or a Hippogriff? Become friends with a giant? Or have a Marauder’s Map of your own? (“Mischief managed!”) Unfortunately, all of these things are impossible because we are mere muggles who don’t live in a magical world. All we can do is immerse ourselves in the books and movies… and drink butter beer.

I was particularly pleased with this advent activity.

Enjoying some butter beer

Butter beer!

This is the butter beer recipe I used.

My advice to you if you want to make it:

• Make the butterscotch base the day before – or earlier in the day – so it thickens properly.
  • I personally wouldn’t use the rum extract that the recipe calls for.
  • Don’t omit the salt.
  • Top your finished butter beer with unsweetened whipped cream. This recipe will send you into a sugar shock so you really don’t need to add extra sugar to the cream. Whip the cream it until it can be whipped no more. You want it peaky and gorgeous.
  • We made it with root beer (not cream soda). The kids, of course, LOVED it.
  • Small servings suffice. See above about the sugar shock.

We enjoyed our butter beers while watching one of the HP movies. It was very fun. In fact, I might keep this one on the list for next year. :)

This post is part of our 2012 Family Advent, a.k.a. 25 Days of Christmas. You can read more about that here. Looking for some Christmas-related activities to try out yourself? Check out my Pinterest board.

Print this post Print this post

6 Responses to "Family Advent Day 12 – Butter Beer and Harry Potter"

1 | sassymonkey

December 14th, 2012 at 8:48 am

Hmm maybe I’ll make Lee some butter beer tonight.

If you can find IBC cream soda, a bottle of that mixed with a tablespoon of butterscotch syrup tastes almost identical to the butter beer they sell at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. You can still add whipped cream to it but it will foam up on its when you stir in the syrup.

2 | cleo

December 14th, 2012 at 8:56 am

We were in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter last month where we tried butter beer, both regular AND frozen… I preferred the regular. As we sipped, we tried to deduce what ingredients were in there. We thought it tasted like cream soda mixed with butter and topped with whipped cream… your recipe sounds better. A must try!! Thanks!

3 | Sarah McCormack

December 14th, 2012 at 9:08 am

we are huge HP fans in our household, incuding my son, GRIFFIN!!

i have read all the books 3 times- once on my own, and then with each of my boys! i cried when we were finished… it was such a special thing to share together!

we have visited some of the sites in England where they filmed the movies and hope to get to Univeral soon! they have also opened the Warner Bros studio (near London,UK) where they filmed and we hope to get there soon as well!

we are having a HP Party this winter with some cousins, so i will use this BB recipe for sure!

thanx

4 | Javamom

December 14th, 2012 at 9:51 am

Butter beer sounds delish although usually I’m not too much into sweet thick drinks. This one though, with the unsweetened whip cream (we never use the sweet kind anyway) sounds good enough to try.

You are inspiring me to let go of my crankiness and hop on the Xmas celebration bandwagon. :)

5 | Leslie

December 14th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

We read the books together as a family too and then watched the movies. You MUST visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando. I was overcome with emotion upon entering. We had sooooo much fun visiting. My son was chosen in Ollivander’s. We went on the Dragon’s Challenge Roller Coaster 27 times! Awesome experience for the entire family.

6 | This is day two of March Break >> a peek inside the fishbowl

March 11th, 2014 at 12:11 pm

[…] after seeing Potted Potter. This is something we did over Christmas holidays awhile back. We made butter beer too! You can kick this activity up a notch by designing your own movie tickets, inviting friends over, […]

NAC Ottawa events

Christmas ideas from Saunders Farm!

Frogs - a Chorus of Colours - at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Funhaven - Ottawa's destination for birthday parties and fun

terra20 Ottawa celebrates Earth Month

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

IMAX 3D - Journey to the South Pacific

bucketlist

etc.

• HollyStar: Amazing! So excited to welcome this school to our community. I'd love to take the "Family Ukelele" class with my son.
  • Christine: i would try the ukelele class!!
  • Carolyn: It would likely be Family Art or Family Djembe. Any one of our kids would totally be into those if only because then their parent would have to final
  • Tracey: Our family would sign up for family guitar - amazing!! I wish we could sign up for 'family' stuff everywhere, especially at the gym!!
  • Bonnie: Music in Motion 1 for my eldest daughter. What fun!
  • Brenda A: Rock n Roll choir sounds like such a great time and my girls would love this course. I wish much success to the Bluesfest School!
  • Jennifer D: Music in Motion 1 looks like a lot of fun!

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (14) and Sarah (12). I am the Editor of the Kitchissippi Times as well as Capital Parent Newspaper. I'm also a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999 (which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which). The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 665 and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:
Created with flickr badge.
Click the photo for details: what it is, where I ate it (if it's worth a mention!), and how to cook it (if there happens to be a recipe). You can also read more about this project right here.

Sideblog

A year before

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too:

Follow the Fishbowl’s companion page on Facebook

Let's stick a pin in that

Miz Mooz Women's Car