10 Feb, 2016

Feeling crappy on a Wednesday

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

I’ve been feeling pretty schlumpy these last few weeks. I am afraid that I am on the road to Burnoutville. It’s a long journey, and the traffic is kind of jammed up, but I am close to throwing myself out of the car because I really don’t want to end up in Burnoutville.

I can pretty much pinpoint when the crappy feeling started. It began when I had to ease up on the walking and cancel my daily dose of treadmill time. Thankfully my FitBit has been tracking my steps all along so I can illustrate this post with a graph:

Andrea's steppin' record

You can click the image to enlarge but you can probably see what’s happening at the end there? That’s me, not walking.

A few weeks ago I started to get shooting pains in my heel. I asked Dr. Google and learned all Plantar Fasciitis. I have yet to receive an official diagnosis but there it is. (Sidebar: Hi Mom! I know you’ve sent me lots of articles about how my pedometer is going to kill me some day. I guess we’re here now!)

I haven’t been this inactive for a long time and I am definitely feeling it. Did I feel this lousy beforehand? I’ve been grumpy and twitchy, touchy and weepy (ha – sounds like I’ve just named a few more dwarves there) and eating a record amount of toast, so let’s add jiggly to that list.

Before my heel started hurting I’d spend a solid 30 minutes walking on the treadmill every morning. This is how I always started the day, every day. It became a habit, one that helped me in many ways despite the decidedly unglamorous set up I have. The treadmill belonged to my in-laws, who gave it to us because they weren’t using it. It’s in the corner of our unfinished basement. It’s kind of dark down there and there is no view (unless you count stacks of cardboard boxes with a Canada flag hanging in front of them). When I first started I had to trick myself into using it every morning. I’d put on my gym clothes as soon as I rolled out of bed and told myself that I wasn’t allowed to check Facebook unless I did a minimum of twenty minutes. It worked. And it became easier. I got myself a FitBit and tracked my steps; competing with myself and with friends online. I was consistently able to hit my daily goal of 10K and it felt great. It wasn’t strenuous exercise. I’ve done intervals and I’ve run on the treadmill here and there, but I discovered that a brisk walk was easier on my body and still made me feel good.

I haven’t been able to reach that magic number for a few weeks now thanks to my bum heel. It doesn’t hurt nearly as much, but I’m still trying to stay off of it. Apparently it takes months for Plantar Fasciitis to heal. I didn’t realize how much I missed my “treadmill time” and exactly how much I needed it, until now.

8 Responses to "Feeling crappy on a Wednesday"

1 | Anne

February 10th, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Andrea, I’ve had Plantar Fasciitis twice. It hurts, doesn’t it? It does eventually go away. The best thing I found was while sitting in a chair, roll a tennis ball along the bottom of your foot. Also, the doctor told me to roll up onto my tippy toes for several seconds and repeat that a few times a day. Both helped – the tennis ball seemed to work well. Some people freeze a water bottle and roll that along the bottom of their foot as well. Hope it gets better soon!

2 | andrea tomkins

February 11th, 2016 at 9:19 am

Thanks for the tips Anne! It’s crazy how much it hurt at first. Quite alarming, actually. Thankfully it is getting better. Sigh.

3 | Heather

February 11th, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Hi Andrea,
Sorry to hear about your heel. Hope you can heal soon and have the same momentum again that you had to start your treadmilling! Your posts and dedication on your treadmill inspired me last year at burnout stage. Find a detour – short loop around the block. This cold air might help to blow away any crappy feelings at least for a short time.

4 | sassygirl

February 11th, 2016 at 1:43 pm

sorry to hear about the foot
woes! I am a 20,000+ steps
per day walker and wow! when
I injured my foot it made me
extremely unhappy. :/
take it easy…it will get better but
try to be patient and let the body
heal. you received some great
ideas here, too!

5 | Deborah

February 11th, 2016 at 3:48 pm

I have had plantar fasciitis several times. My doctor told me to wear supportive shoes like my aerobics shoes all the time – starting first thing in the morning instead of slippers and to not shuffle around in sock feet. If you have Birkenstocks they are good too.

Another exercise to try is to roll up the edge of a towel with your toes and pick up the towel using your towels.

6 | maryatparenthood

February 12th, 2016 at 7:12 am

Maybe you can try a different kind of exercise in the meantime? Hope you are feeling better soon!

7 | binki

February 12th, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Exercise bike instead of walking?
I walk to work, which I love. Fast walking is the BEST thing a person can do. The mall-walkers are my new heroes.
I walk a lot less during winter. I feel and miss it…a lot. Makes early spring such a glorious time of year.
Hang in there. PF is no serious stuff.

8 | bing

March 1st, 2016 at 10:45 am

Hey There. That is an extremely smartly written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info.
Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return.

• Jinjer: I love that dog figurine so much!!!!
  • Dani: It's morrel season. Woot! https://photos.app.goo.gl/bE76iBETEpkDGU7w5
  • andrea tomkins: I will definitely check that out Tiana!
  • Yana: There is one near the train in Carleton Uni
  • Tiana: Oh there's a great book, if you haven't read it already - Gathering Moss by Robin Wall-Kimmerer.
  • Quail: Mushrooming is a fantastic hobby. Take a course in late September. These fun fall outings are usually very productive and often led by keen experts.
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive More about mushrooms - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] week I shared a quick recipe for mushrooms on toast. I deeply regret not running out and shoring up my mushroom supplies because I have a se

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.