04 Oct, 2006

When it gets chilly just make some soup

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Photography|Recipes and Food

Ginger noodle soup, that is.

[Edited to add: I posted the recipe at the bottom]

Ginger Noodle Soup

1 lb ground pork
1 onion, chopped
3 gloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
2 tbsp gingerroot (chop it as fine as you can)
2 tbsp soy sauce
4 cups chicken stock (I used one of those large packages of Campbell’s, the one that comes in a box. There was a bit over 4 cups. I tossed in the extra anyway.)
1 carrot, cut into matchstick
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
5 oz rice vermicelli noodles

1 or 2 green onions, thinly sliced (to garnish the soup, but I always like more)
a handful of bean spouts (ditto as above)
4 sprigs coriander (ditto as above)

Chop and prep everything beforehand.

In large saucepan, brown pork over medium-high heat, stirring to break it up, about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain off fat. Add onion, garlic, hoisin sauce, ginger and soy sauce; cook for 2 minutes

Add chicken stock and bring to boil. Add carrot and mushrooms; reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Stir in noodles; simmer for 5 or 6 minutes or until noodles are tender. Ladle into large soup bowls. Garnish with green onion, spouts and coriander. You will need to use a spoon and a fork, but mostly a fork. It’s very hearty, and despite the carton of broth it doesn’t actually get very “soupy.”

Makes about four servings. It’s very good eaten the next day. Enjoy!

Tags:

11 Responses to "When it gets chilly just make some soup"

1 | Chantal

October 4th, 2006 at 10:00 am

My mouth just watered!

2 | Jenn

October 4th, 2006 at 12:20 pm

Ginger! Yum! That looks so good!

Just this morning I got a hankering to make soup. I just need to find the jerusalem artichokes in this area to make what I am craving.

October 4th, 2006 at 12:26 pm

You’re kidding about the Jerusalem artichokes, right? Right?

They are the most invasive plant in my garden. If I could make soup out of them I would feel better about tearing armfuls of them out every year.

And now you’re saying I can cook them? !!! lol

5 | Jenn

October 4th, 2006 at 12:40 pm

I am rolling over laughing. It never donned on me to grow my own! Just a craving I get every fall and I haven’t sourced them out here yet. I always got them in the Byward Market before we moved to Oakville. They make a fantastic soup raosted in the oven and pureed with some potato, stock and seasoning. I have also enjoyed them roasted in a mix of sweet potato, parsnips and carrots with thyme. Mashed, Gratin use instead of potatoes anywhere. They have such a great unique flavour.
I am so jealsous.

6 | Jenn

October 4th, 2006 at 12:42 pm

That soup sounds fantastic!

7 | scarbie doll

October 4th, 2006 at 1:21 pm

Check you out! Impressive! And the styling? Woo Hoo!

8 | BeachMama

October 4th, 2006 at 3:24 pm

That is the faciest soup I have seen in a long time. Did you post the recipe?

9 | liss76

October 5th, 2006 at 9:24 am

We’ve fallen in love with the offerings of Pho Bo Ga 2 and I’ve started making what we call “Phoney Pho” a couple times a week.

Cook and drain soba noodles. Rinse well in cold water.

Make some stock, add a lot of sliced onions, some ginger, some peppercorns, and simmer for at least 30 minutes.

Chop up a bunch of chinese cabbage, rinse some bean sprouts, slice a tomato into wedges, slice a lemon or lime into wedges, chop some spring onions and coriander.

Put some cold noodles into the soup bowl, add toppings as desired.

Slice some beef or chicken very thin and place in a ladle. Hold ladle in the simmering broth until the meat is cooked (just a couple minutes) and place in bowl. Ladle broth into bowl, add hot sauce, oyster sauce, and/or soy sauce as desired.

It’s a big hit here and depending on what is used for broth can be very low-sodium and low-fat. It’s also fast and easy and something for which the kids can help prepare the veggies.

10 | Heather Ann

October 14th, 2006 at 6:56 pm

I went out this morning, recipe in hand and bought most of the ingredients for this soup. It was dinner tonight. Wow. I added alot of Cilantro to my bowl and lots of sprouts. The kids didn’t get sprouts of Cilantro. It was great. I think next time I might add less meat, more mushrooms and more carrots. There will definitely be a next time. The baby loved the noodles.

11 | a peek inside the fish bowl

March 21st, 2007 at 7:49 am

[…] 1. I ate string. Twice. Once at lunch yesterday and once the night before. I made my famous Ginger Noodle soup and did a bad job of untying the rice noodles.  Some bits of string ended up in the soup. Will someone please explain why the manufacturers of these noodles, which are thin and white, use thin white string to bind them with? […]