03 May, 2007

Ottawa’s best playgrounds?

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life|Ottawa

I’m currently working on a piece about Ottawa’s best playgrounds. I have a couple of them in mind already, but am wondering what your favourites are, and why?

Things to think about:

- the environs – i.e. close to nature? On a bike trail?

- the play structure and its “fun rating.” Is there something outstandingly awesome about your playground? Dovercourt, for example, has an Infinity Climber. My kids love that thing, although I always watch them with my heart in my thoat and my legs twitching and ready to run and catch them if I see them about to fall. I’m going to have a heart attack one day.

(BTW, I am secretly wondering if any area parks have a roundabout. Do they even make those anymore or have they vanished?)

- proximity to snacks / facilities

- what else is cool about your favourite playground? i.e. I love the fact there are charcoal BBQs at Andrew Hayden. We’ve never actually done it but I’ve always wanted to invite friends/kids for a big playdate & cookout.

Suggestions would be welcome! Over to you…

Edited to add: Thanks for your help everyone! The final park piece is now online!

Print this post Print this post

8 Responses to "Ottawa’s best playgrounds?"

1 | Paul O

May 3rd, 2007 at 5:35 pm

I’ve become partial to the play structures on the grounds at the Governor General’s, particularly with friends in from out of town. If necessary, one adult can watch the younger kids while older kids and other adults wander the grounds to check out the roses, see the GG’s house, or just get fresh air.

For my self, while not a playground as such, the trails around Bruce Pit are fun to run or cycle along. You’ll always see friendly folks in the adjacent dog run, and there’s often a gaggle of Cdn geese in the pond below. I’ve never tried the toboggan run, though.

2 | BeachMama

May 4th, 2007 at 6:37 am

I have to admit that I haven’t been to too many parks outside of the West End. But, we have a really awesome waterpark here in Barrhaven (great now it will be really crowded ;) ). It is on Longfields Drive. If you get there at the right time of the day is isn’t too busy, and there is a sand park (one for toddlers and one for older kids) adjacent. The water has to be turned on by sensors but that’s ok, makes it fun to see who is going to turn it on. There is a canteena there and washrooms, but I will say that it is not always open. Not sure what is up with that but hopefully this year it will always be ready. There is some area for shade and we always bring a picnic with us. The kids love it and well, I love it too!

3 | Pendullum

May 5th, 2007 at 8:52 am

No real thoughts here… But i know when we visit… The canal is always popular with my daughter… She watches the boats… andit is close enough to grab some offending food near the Parliment Buildings…

4 | Miss Vicky

May 5th, 2007 at 6:00 pm

reid park is pretty nifty. I think it has a spinning thing. I will stroll up there on one of my walks and take some pics for you.

5 | twinmomplusone

May 7th, 2007 at 11:08 am

petrie island in the east end has gotten a bad rap due to fluctuating water quality BUT it is nonetheless a huge expanse of sand right by the river with the older section in a shaded area and some handmade play structures, there’s a littles beach house with info on the local ecology/zoology, walking paths and chance to see turtles

6 | twinmomplusone

May 7th, 2007 at 11:10 am

ohh, and there’s alos taht park on Bronson (can’t think of teh anme right now) across from Carleton university, its really big with many water features and cool shaded areas

7 | Miss Vicky

May 7th, 2007 at 12:35 pm

Brewer Park. Yah, that’s a good one. They also have a skating oval in the winter, I believe.

8 | Ottawa Citizen

May 10th, 2007 at 9:51 am

[...] of Ottawa’s best playgrounds. (Thanks, Vicky!)  Link to this | E-mail this | Digg this | Post to del.icio.us Published Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:43 AM by David Reevely Filed under:Westboro [...]

NAC Ottawa family events

Fall family fun fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Litterless lunch solutions at terra20

Zen Kitchen is open! Use code FISHBOWL for free dessert

Nepean Visual Arts Centre

Visit tThe Village Quire in Westboro Ottawa!

bucketlist

etc.

• Chris Hayes: Very nice list! I just went to Lime Kiln Trail today with my dog.. needless to say she loved it. Thanks for the awesome suggestions, should keep m
  • Safe and Sound: Totally agree with lacoop. We're all trying to send positive discussions and examples while youtube/movies/advertising are full of absolutely vile, b
  • Lynn: I've been feeling very sad about the Jian story, combined with some other stories on CBC lately (did you hear about the hockey boys in BC who traded n
  • Stacey K: I think that we need to start conversations about consent with our kids as early as possible (not in a sexual context, but in a" its your body, you ha
  • lacoop: sigh...Sometimes I think things are getting better...and then other times I just wonder. This is a concern for us as well, with both a son and a daug
  • Tudor: So, I'm actually using the Jian thing as a chance to talk to my son about consent. There's been a lot of talk lately about positive consent, ever sinc
  • Three stories, and talking to our daughters about the creepy guys, AGAIN. >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] already written about the issue of creepy guys here before. Yet here I am again. You know why? Because the issue of the creepy guys will nev

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 850 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #
  • My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

On this date in the archives

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: