03 May, 2007

Ottawa’s best playgrounds?

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life|Ottawa

I’m currently working on a piece about Ottawa’s best playgrounds. I have a couple of them in mind already, but am wondering what your favourites are, and why?

Things to think about:

- the environs – i.e. close to nature? On a bike trail?

- the play structure and its “fun rating.” Is there something outstandingly awesome about your playground? Dovercourt, for example, has an Infinity Climber. My kids love that thing, although I always watch them with my heart in my thoat and my legs twitching and ready to run and catch them if I see them about to fall. I’m going to have a heart attack one day.

(BTW, I am secretly wondering if any area parks have a roundabout. Do they even make those anymore or have they vanished?)

- proximity to snacks / facilities

- what else is cool about your favourite playground? i.e. I love the fact there are charcoal BBQs at Andrew Hayden. We’ve never actually done it but I’ve always wanted to invite friends/kids for a big playdate & cookout.

Suggestions would be welcome! Over to you…

Edited to add: Thanks for your help everyone! The final park piece is now online!

8 Responses to "Ottawa’s best playgrounds?"

1 | Paul O

May 3rd, 2007 at 5:35 pm

I’ve become partial to the play structures on the grounds at the Governor General’s, particularly with friends in from out of town. If necessary, one adult can watch the younger kids while older kids and other adults wander the grounds to check out the roses, see the GG’s house, or just get fresh air.

For my self, while not a playground as such, the trails around Bruce Pit are fun to run or cycle along. You’ll always see friendly folks in the adjacent dog run, and there’s often a gaggle of Cdn geese in the pond below. I’ve never tried the toboggan run, though.

2 | BeachMama

May 4th, 2007 at 6:37 am

I have to admit that I haven’t been to too many parks outside of the West End. But, we have a really awesome waterpark here in Barrhaven (great now it will be really crowded ;) ). It is on Longfields Drive. If you get there at the right time of the day is isn’t too busy, and there is a sand park (one for toddlers and one for older kids) adjacent. The water has to be turned on by sensors but that’s ok, makes it fun to see who is going to turn it on. There is a canteena there and washrooms, but I will say that it is not always open. Not sure what is up with that but hopefully this year it will always be ready. There is some area for shade and we always bring a picnic with us. The kids love it and well, I love it too!

3 | Pendullum

May 5th, 2007 at 8:52 am

No real thoughts here… But i know when we visit… The canal is always popular with my daughter… She watches the boats… andit is close enough to grab some offending food near the Parliment Buildings…

4 | Miss Vicky

May 5th, 2007 at 6:00 pm

reid park is pretty nifty. I think it has a spinning thing. I will stroll up there on one of my walks and take some pics for you.

5 | twinmomplusone

May 7th, 2007 at 11:08 am

petrie island in the east end has gotten a bad rap due to fluctuating water quality BUT it is nonetheless a huge expanse of sand right by the river with the older section in a shaded area and some handmade play structures, there’s a littles beach house with info on the local ecology/zoology, walking paths and chance to see turtles

6 | twinmomplusone

May 7th, 2007 at 11:10 am

ohh, and there’s alos taht park on Bronson (can’t think of teh anme right now) across from Carleton university, its really big with many water features and cool shaded areas

7 | Miss Vicky

May 7th, 2007 at 12:35 pm

Brewer Park. Yah, that’s a good one. They also have a skating oval in the winter, I believe.

8 | Ottawa Citizen

May 10th, 2007 at 9:51 am

[...] of Ottawa’s best playgrounds. (Thanks, Vicky!)  Link to this | E-mail this | Digg this | Post to del.icio.us Published Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:43 AM by David Reevely Filed under:Westboro [...]

NAC Ottawa family events

Saunders Farm annual passes for family fun!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

OMS Ottawa Montessori schools

Sara McConnell photography Ottawa

Rethink Tires - Community Renewal Fund

terra20 Ottawa

• Steph Duffey: I love Terra 20 and all their products! I really love the reusable snack bags and the juice in a box for my little ones...and so many others!!!
  • Tammy: The Sistema containers look great! Would love a couple of them.
  • Shawna: The stainless steel containers look good to me. I'm all about dishwasher safe.
  • Katie: what a selection. I found it hard to choose. I need a new lunch bag and it needs to be washable. The cotton ones by fluf Look lovely. Great designs, I
  • nikki: I love Sistema containers - dishwasher safe and easy for little hands to open. Would definitely pick up some more of those!
  • Elana Aptowitzer: Those stainless steel snack containers are beauties! Those would be perfect for everyone in the family!
  • Patricia S: I'm a big fan on all in one containers that are split up....but without all the extra things to clean (and lose) like the traditional bento boxes. So

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (16) and Sarah (14). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

... check out past nightstand reads right here.