13 Jun, 2007

Because I really needed something cold

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Oh! Things!|Recipes and Food

Iced tea

I was inspired by this grrl’s iced tea recipes. Pictured above is my first attempt at making my own iced tea. I used two teabags. I should have used two more teabags, because it was essentially flavourless.

Like my new/old icedteapot? I bought it at Neighborhood Services yesterday for two bucks.

13 Responses to "Because I really needed something cold"

1 | a grrl with a blog

June 13th, 2007 at 8:51 am

OOH! I’m so happy you were inspired!

I have been making iced tea non-stop for a few weeks now. It cuts through the heat like nothing else!

I absolutely adore your tea pot!! Keep on brewing!

2 | Marla

June 13th, 2007 at 8:52 am

I like making a something with blueberry herbal tea and lemons – like lemonade – or tea – but you know…

It’s also a help to make a little sugar syrup to keep around – a little goes a long way, and that way you don’t end up with all the grainy sweetness at the bottom of the pitcher. Because by, the way, I have a fabulous pitcher and glasses set for such things.

3 | Miss Vicky

June 13th, 2007 at 8:54 am

I have been using Bridgehead’s loose lemongrass tea for iced tea. Very yummy. Love the pitcher, BTW.

4 | nancy

June 13th, 2007 at 9:10 am

OMG that new/old teapot is adorable!!

But IMO – iced tea = ick.

5 | Alison

June 13th, 2007 at 9:34 am

I’ve been wanting to try Rebecca Blood’s recipe for summer tea:

6 | Yaris

June 13th, 2007 at 12:44 pm

Fast and easy:
For 4 servings, place 6 tea bags i 4 cups freshly drawn cold water. Refrigerate overnight. Serve over ice; pass lemon wedges and suger.
Enjoy! -:)

7 | Jackie

June 13th, 2007 at 12:56 pm

No wait iced tea.

take 3 tea bags put in microsafe dish add water put in micro for 3 minutes.

While the tea is cooking pull out your tea piture and add desired amount of sugar. We have a large container so I use 1-1/2 cups sugar.

When tea is finished cooking pour over sugar and stir until sugar melts. Add water until container is full.

Get a glass fill with ice and enjoy!

This Texas girl dosen’t like to wait for her tea! Have a great summer.

8 | Jenn

June 13th, 2007 at 1:06 pm

I fell in love with Hibiscus iced tea in NY about 8 years back. They started carrying a variety at Starbucks known a “Passion” and they now sell the large iced tea bags so I can make my own at home with out using so many regular tea bags. I find it flavourful enough on its own and don’t sweeten it myself, I drink about 2 litres a day right now.

9 | liss76

June 13th, 2007 at 9:45 pm

I routinely make a pot of jasmine green tea on the stove every morning. I drink what I do while it’s hot and sip the rest cold. If there’s any left at the end of the day, it gets tossed into the fridge for an afternoon treat the next day. The light floral scent goes wonderfully with the cooler temperature–add a squeeze of lemon and enjoy! Yum.

BTW, if you don’t like sugar crystals in your drinks (tea, mojitos, etc), you can always get a bottle of alternative liquid sweetener–Black River juice has one that’s 100% fruit sugar, and there are also various grain-based liquid sweeteners. I’ve used the Lundberg rice one before and it’s a really nice change from regular white sugar simple syrup.

10 | PRETTY IN THE CITY

June 14th, 2007 at 5:36 am

I like your ice tea pot. I am a fan of ice tea too.

11 | Mama V

June 14th, 2007 at 7:41 am

you don’t have to use as many tea bags if you brew it hot and then ice it.

June 14th, 2007 at 7:50 am

I think it depends on the tea you’re using. I tried this again using four teabags… it’s this green organic tea with ginger and honey and the package indicates it’s mild-tasting.

Four was definitely better than two. Now I have to figure out how much sweetener to use. Hmmm.

13 | A quick n' easy recipe for iced tea. It's not hard to make it yourself. >> a peek inside the fishbowl

May 18th, 2011 at 11:56 am

[…] It is lovely served with lemon ice, and when it’s made in a retro coffee carafe. […]

• FD: We love puzzles and my kids have been talking non-stop about exploding kittens so the exploding kittens puzzle ticks off two things on our list all in
  • Nora: Posted on FB too! ; )
  • Nora: I have a llama fanatic so that windup toy would be a bit! I love Tiggywinkles for stocking stuffers, games and puzzles. Thanks for the opportunity!
  • Jacquie: Posted on Facebook too. :)
  • Jacquie: We would finally get Settlers of Catan! I have heard so much about it and think our family would love it.
  • Dani: Stocking Stuffers for my impossible to shop for kids ?
  • Pearl: Star Trek cats & iron on patches. Might browse costumes too.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.