13 Sep, 2007

Fishbowl’s Fave recipes for fall: Recipe #1 – Chickpea curry

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

I am not artful when it comes to spreading the cilantro, but it still looks pretty.

Chickpea curry

This is a great recipe for fall lunches! It’s one of those imprecise, fly-by-the-seat of your pants kind of recipes, but don’t let that scare you.

You will need:

• a splash of oil
  • an onion
  • a couple of garlic cloves, minced
  • a knob of ginger, chopped into bitty pieces
  • a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • a can of chickpeas
  • tumeric
  • ground coriander seed
  • curry paste
  • lemon juice
  • garam masala
  • cilantro (optional)

Heat up some oil in a large pot. Chop a mid-large onion in chunk-ish pieces and put it in the pot. Add your chopped knob or two of ginger and add to the pot too.

Add garlic, and sprinkle in enough turmeric to thoroughly coat. Cook until onion is softened, about five minutes. Add a 28oz can of diced tomatoes and 2tb of ground coriander seed. Simmer for 7-8 minutes.

Meanwhile, drain and rinse a can of chickpeas (I used a 14oz can for this batch). Once tomatoes are cooked, add drained chickpeas, a cup of water, and a couple of spoonfuls of Pataks Mild Curry Paste (to taste). Cook for about 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add another 1/2 cup of water if desired, to get the consistency you prefer. Remove from heat and add 2-3tb lemon juice, 2tb garam masala, and as much fresh cilantro as you like. Serve with rice. Or not.

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to "Fishbowl’s Fave recipes for fall: Recipe #1 – Chickpea curry"

1 | The Veggie Vixen

September 13th, 2007 at 7:54 am

Yummo!

2 | melissa

September 13th, 2007 at 12:35 pm

hey! I make that _exact_ same recipe! Seriously – exactly. I got it several years ago from a friend at school. You guys must have the same cookbook!

Leanne loved her message -we are saving it because she likes to listen to it over and over. The funniest part was how she kept referring to “Mark & Andrea’s house” and only later tacked on info about Emma & Sarah :)

September 13th, 2007 at 12:45 pm

Ha, Melissa, I got it from you! I’ve been making it for a couple of years. Now and then I get a big craving and pull it out.

It makes a LOT, and I’m the only one who eats it around here. Suffice it to say I having it for multiple/consecutive lunches and then not again for three or four months. :)

September 13th, 2007 at 12:46 pm

p.s and I’m glad she enjoyed the message!

5 | Miss Vicky

September 13th, 2007 at 1:54 pm

I make a similar curry but I add a bag of spinach, chopped. Soooo yummy.

6 | Ciaochow

September 13th, 2007 at 2:24 pm

Thank you for the recipe! Have you ever tried it with chickpeas that aren’t canned? I have a bag of dried chickpeas that I’m *planning* on soaking overnight (one of these nights) to make this chickpea curry with. I’m wondering if all the time it takes making chickpeas from “scratch” is worth it.

September 13th, 2007 at 3:59 pm

No, I haven’t. I also have dried chickpeas that I’ve been wanting to try. Let me know if you try it!

8 | melissa

September 13th, 2007 at 10:53 pm

…how lame am I? That makes far more sense that I gave it to you, then you and ross having the same cookbook :) We still cook it regularly and I often triple/quadruple it and freeze it. It does awesome in the freezer for months. Sometimes i take it out and partially thaw enough to cram it into my crockpot, then throw a little extra stock/water in and let it cook on the counter for a few hours.

I’m making a big batch this weekend in fact as i’ve had 2 other people recently ask for the recipe.

I’m curious to see how it goes with the dried chickpeas too!

(you could probably leave all your laundry until Christmas – leanne was going on about doing it again tonight…I have no idea where it comes from! What did you secretly tell her when we were camping – that your washer produces m&ms?)

terra20 Ottawa