01 Apr, 2008

April fools (now with pic!)

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Recipes and Food

This morning I woke Sarah up with a whisper: “I made you sushi for breakfast.”

“SUSHI?” she exclaimed. “IT’S MY DREAM COME TRUE!”

I informed her sister. She was not impressed.

“I’m not eating it,” she groused.

Sarah put on her clothes as fast as she could and ran downstairs. She saw what I had made (here is the recipe) and was thrilled.

Mock Sushi for April Fool's Day breakfast

Emma drummed down the stairs, totally dejected. Sarah could hardly contain herself. She blew it in one breath.

“See-Emma-we-got-sushi-for-breakfast-APRIL-FOOLS-IT’S-CANDY!!!”

I bet the sugar rush has worn down now. I wonder how that’s going over.

Print this post Print this post

9 Responses to "April fools (now with pic!)"

2 | porter

April 1st, 2008 at 11:23 am

I love this! I can’t wait to make them for my girls!

3 | Fabgirl

April 1st, 2008 at 1:56 pm

That is too cute! My kids would have loved it.
P.S. we have the same chopsticks!

4 | BeachMama

April 1st, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Oh my goodness, I love these!! Great idea :)

5 | Nicol

April 1st, 2008 at 3:51 pm

What a great idea!

6 | megan

April 2nd, 2008 at 7:13 am

How cute would these be at a Japanese themed birthday party? Now I just have to convince Evelyn or Audrey that it is a good idea…

7 | J.

April 2nd, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Aw! I love those! That’s amazing!

8 | Leah

April 8th, 2008 at 11:12 am

How CUTE is that??? You must be a really fun mom; I’d have never thought of doing that!

9 | Gwen

April 1st, 2009 at 9:10 am

What a great idea! Can’t wait to do these types of things with my girls!

NAC Ottawa family events

Summertime fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

bucketlist

etc.

• Misty Pratt: Except for the fact that someone has to do those minimum wage jobs, and it's usually new immigrants and low-income people with families to feed. So th
  • Natalie: My two cents. We have tried Supperworks, in fact we were regulars until recently. We were never disappointed. Their entrées for four fed our family o
  • Javamom: I guess one of the things we find hard to accept sometimes is that occasionally, time is more valuable than money. I get it, although I have not tried
  • future landfill: And yet, and yet. I've had a few decades of street photography, snapping pics of people and events in public places, cafes, pubs. Sometimes obviously
  • Colleen: It does sound fun, but a bit steep for my family.
  • andrea: We have winners! Dinner #1 on July 24 was won by nathalie d. Dinner #2 on August 21 was won by Madga. Congratulations! Thank you Saunders Farm
  • TD: This is something I have been considering, so a group outing would be great.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 752 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #
  • I'm over at the MediaSmarts blog today, putting together the online privacy puzzle.

- #
  • I had a really interesting conversation with my 14-year-old daughter recently. She was wondering why so many adults assume that teenagers are all the same: a bunch of lazy, self-involved jokers who are glued to their devices all day. I didn’t have an answer for her, really, only that people tend to generalize, and that this is Never a Good Thing, no matter who it is we’re talking about. [Read the rest at MediaSmarts.ca]

- #

A year before

• 2013-07-26 No articles on this date.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: