01 Apr, 2008

April fools (now with pic!)

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Recipes and Food

This morning I woke Sarah up with a whisper: “I made you sushi for breakfast.”

“SUSHI?” she exclaimed. “IT’S MY DREAM COME TRUE!”

I informed her sister. She was not impressed.

“I’m not eating it,” she groused.

Sarah put on her clothes as fast as she could and ran downstairs. She saw what I had made* and was thrilled.

Mock Sushi for April Fool's Day breakfast

Emma drummed down the stairs, totally dejected. Sarah could hardly contain herself. She blew it in one breath.

“See-Emma-we-got-sushi-for-breakfast-APRIL-FOOLS-IT’S-CANDY!!!”

I bet the sugar rush has worn down now. I wonder how that’s going over.

* This mock sushi is made out of Rice Krispy squares (made round) with a piece of gummy fish in the middle and wrapped with a fruit roll-up!

9 Responses to "April fools (now with pic!)"

2 | porter

April 1st, 2008 at 11:23 am

I love this! I can’t wait to make them for my girls!

3 | Fabgirl

April 1st, 2008 at 1:56 pm

That is too cute! My kids would have loved it.
P.S. we have the same chopsticks!

4 | BeachMama

April 1st, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Oh my goodness, I love these!! Great idea :)

5 | Nicol

April 1st, 2008 at 3:51 pm

What a great idea!

6 | megan

April 2nd, 2008 at 7:13 am

How cute would these be at a Japanese themed birthday party? Now I just have to convince Evelyn or Audrey that it is a good idea…

7 | J.

April 2nd, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Aw! I love those! That’s amazing!

8 | Leah

April 8th, 2008 at 11:12 am

How CUTE is that??? You must be a really fun mom; I’d have never thought of doing that!

9 | Gwen

April 1st, 2009 at 9:10 am

What a great idea! Can’t wait to do these types of things with my girls!

terra20 Ottawa

The Nutcracker at National Arts Centre Ottawa

• Anne: Very timely post Andrea! I have been thinking about this too; I tell my daughter to go to bed in order to be rested the next day, and yet I stay up wa
  • Pat: I have collected points for various plans - aeroplan, airmiles (used to be ok but now stingey with points - so it will take forever for me to get poin
  • Misty Pratt: Just started reading Better Than Before. Having a hard time figuring out which type of person I am when it comes to habits...but it's an interesting b
  • andrea tomkins: I used to fight bedtime, or extend it because of something we were watching on Netflix. But after more than a few groggy mornings I realized (doh) tha
  • Claudette: I have such a hard time staying UP at night (I love my early mornings more) that this is not a thing for me. Quite the opposite: the one night I do st
  • KristaR: Definitely a lark. I don't leave for work until just after 9am and I get up early, work out for an hour and often have time for a quick grocery run, a
  • Jacquelyn: When my kids were much younger, I got into the habit of putting on my pj's when they did. Then, having that step already done removed some of my resi

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (17) and Sarah (15). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1550 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

On this date in the archives