01 Apr, 2008

April fools (now with pic!)

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Recipes and Food

This morning I woke Sarah up with a whisper: “I made you sushi for breakfast.”

“SUSHI?” she exclaimed. “IT’S MY DREAM COME TRUE!”

I informed her sister. She was not impressed.

“I’m not eating it,” she groused.

Sarah put on her clothes as fast as she could and ran downstairs. She saw what I had made* and was thrilled.

Mock Sushi for April Fool's Day breakfast

Emma drummed down the stairs, totally dejected. Sarah could hardly contain herself. She blew it in one breath.

“See-Emma-we-got-sushi-for-breakfast-APRIL-FOOLS-IT’S-CANDY!!!”

I bet the sugar rush has worn down now. I wonder how that’s going over.

* This mock sushi is made out of Rice Krispy squares (made round) with a piece of gummy fish in the middle and wrapped with a fruit roll-up!

Print this post Print this post

9 Responses to "April fools (now with pic!)"

2 | porter

April 1st, 2008 at 11:23 am

I love this! I can’t wait to make them for my girls!

3 | Fabgirl

April 1st, 2008 at 1:56 pm

That is too cute! My kids would have loved it.
P.S. we have the same chopsticks!

4 | BeachMama

April 1st, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Oh my goodness, I love these!! Great idea :)

5 | Nicol

April 1st, 2008 at 3:51 pm

What a great idea!

6 | megan

April 2nd, 2008 at 7:13 am

How cute would these be at a Japanese themed birthday party? Now I just have to convince Evelyn or Audrey that it is a good idea…

7 | J.

April 2nd, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Aw! I love those! That’s amazing!

8 | Leah

April 8th, 2008 at 11:12 am

How CUTE is that??? You must be a really fun mom; I’d have never thought of doing that!

9 | Gwen

April 1st, 2009 at 9:10 am

What a great idea! Can’t wait to do these types of things with my girls!

NAC Ottawa family events

Saunders Farm annual passes for family fun!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

OMS Ottawa Montessori schools

Sara McConnell photography Ottawa

Rethink Tires - Community Renewal Fund

• Natalie: Thanks Andrea for the recipe! I made it, subbing honey for maple, and for the dried fruit - 1/2 c both dried cherries and apricots. A huge hit in our
  • Rosalind: So well said Andrea. I fear for myself and my family too. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend but a very good reminder that we have to stop living
  • Misty Pratt: (and I don't mean that your friend dying is a gift...only that the sorrow we experience in life can sometimes help to illuminate things we couldn't se
  • Pamela: Sorry for your loss. She will live on because she has woven her life into those she loved and loved her.
  • Misty Pratt: I'm so sorry to hear that you lost this good friend. I think we all ask ourselves if we are living our best lives, but it is the daily "grind" that so
  • Anne: So sorry to hear of your loss. This post helps us all remember to try to enjoy each moment as best we can.
  • Tiana: I'm sorry for the loss Andrea.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

... check out past nightstand reads right here.