01 Apr, 2008

April fools (now with pic!)

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Recipes and Food

This morning I woke Sarah up with a whisper: “I made you sushi for breakfast.”

“SUSHI?” she exclaimed. “IT’S MY DREAM COME TRUE!”

I informed her sister. She was not impressed.

“I’m not eating it,” she groused.

Sarah put on her clothes as fast as she could and ran downstairs. She saw what I had made* and was thrilled.

Mock Sushi for April Fool's Day breakfast

Emma drummed down the stairs, totally dejected. Sarah could hardly contain herself. She blew it in one breath.

“See-Emma-we-got-sushi-for-breakfast-APRIL-FOOLS-IT’S-CANDY!!!”

I bet the sugar rush has worn down now. I wonder how that’s going over.

* This mock sushi is made out of Rice Krispy squares (made round) with a piece of gummy fish in the middle and wrapped with a fruit roll-up!

9 Responses to "April fools (now with pic!)"

2 | porter

April 1st, 2008 at 11:23 am

I love this! I can’t wait to make them for my girls!

3 | Fabgirl

April 1st, 2008 at 1:56 pm

That is too cute! My kids would have loved it.
P.S. we have the same chopsticks!

4 | BeachMama

April 1st, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Oh my goodness, I love these!! Great idea :)

5 | Nicol

April 1st, 2008 at 3:51 pm

What a great idea!

6 | megan

April 2nd, 2008 at 7:13 am

How cute would these be at a Japanese themed birthday party? Now I just have to convince Evelyn or Audrey that it is a good idea…

7 | J.

April 2nd, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Aw! I love those! That’s amazing!

8 | Leah

April 8th, 2008 at 11:12 am

How CUTE is that??? You must be a really fun mom; I’d have never thought of doing that!

9 | Gwen

April 1st, 2009 at 9:10 am

What a great idea! Can’t wait to do these types of things with my girls!

NAC Ottawa family events

Saunders Farm annual passes for family fun!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

OMS Ottawa Montessori schools

Sara McConnell photography Ottawa

Rethink Tires - Community Renewal Fund

terra20 Ottawa

• Steph Duffey: I love Terra 20 and all their products! I really love the reusable snack bags and the juice in a box for my little ones...and so many others!!!
  • Tammy: The Sistema containers look great! Would love a couple of them.
  • Shawna: The stainless steel containers look good to me. I'm all about dishwasher safe.
  • Katie: what a selection. I found it hard to choose. I need a new lunch bag and it needs to be washable. The cotton ones by fluf Look lovely. Great designs, I
  • nikki: I love Sistema containers - dishwasher safe and easy for little hands to open. Would definitely pick up some more of those!
  • Elana Aptowitzer: Those stainless steel snack containers are beauties! Those would be perfect for everyone in the family!
  • Patricia S: I'm a big fan on all in one containers that are split up....but without all the extra things to clean (and lose) like the traditional bento boxes. So

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (16) and Sarah (14). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

... check out past nightstand reads right here.