15 Apr, 2009

Ottawa Citizen outsourcing?

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

I heard that the Ottawa Citizen farms the layout of the paper out to a company in India. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

6 Responses to "Ottawa Citizen outsourcing?"

1 | Don

April 15th, 2009 at 8:10 am

I hope this isn’t true. I know too little about publishing newspapers to comment on the Ottawa Citizen’s business practices if it is, but I am disheartened by the renewed attention companies (local or otherwise) are giving to outsourcing parts of their operations oversees. Not two years ago, lessons learned demonstrate that there can be significant drawbacks from outright failure to reap cost savings to theft of intellectual property. Googling “why outsourcing doesn’t work” provides a wealth of information espousing caution with outsourcing.

2 | Loukia

April 15th, 2009 at 8:49 am

??? I seriously doubt it… am interested to see if anyone knows if this is true or not?

3 | lacoop

April 15th, 2009 at 3:50 pm

In an age where Canadian athletes go to the Olympics with ‘made in China’ apparel, this could certainly be true. But we (subscribers to the Citizen) have more say in this matter than the Olympic fiasco, so I would also like to know if this is true so I can write the Citizen and let them know how I feel (if it is true).

4 | raino

April 15th, 2009 at 10:24 pm

jesus h christ ! nope i cannot confirm but lets just say that i wouldn’t doubt it. didn’t we have canada flags for sale at one point that were made in china…maybe i just made that up!

5 | Trea

April 15th, 2009 at 10:53 pm

I so wouldn’t be surprised. When I called for computer support the other day I spoke with someone in India. It’s depressing – especially after I watched The Corporation again last week. Boo Urns!

6 | Nat

April 17th, 2009 at 8:14 pm

I just can’t see how it would work. There were two shifts the second of which gets done around 9-ish, then layout for those pages begins. You’d still need someone to design the pages and determine what goes where and what to cut if it doesn’t fit. Then there are the headlines… how does that work?

Just the back and forth with layout, even for supplements, you need somebody nearby. It’s not something you can just farm out.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.