23 Nov, 2010

An Ottawa casting call

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

My post today over at UsedEverywhere today is about gifts. For birds. Please click over and leave me a comment! Thank you!

–

So, big news! My family is going to be on a segment on CBC’s The National (!) about what Canadian families are eating. The producers are looking for three other families to participate. This could be you!

FYI, Dr. Yoni Freedhoff is posting about this today too, so most of the following info is filched from him.

Here’s what I know:

• You need to be a family of four with tweenage kids
  • They are looking for (1) “a family who due to their lifestyles or preferences tend to value convenience in their meals …” and (2) a family who is trying to retain their own ethnic cuisine despite living in Canada.
  • I’ve been assured that there’ll be no ugliness or finger pointing (this is THE NATIONAL after all – they’re classy.) The goal here is to educate. Kindly.
  • In terms of time committment, you will be tracking your food (and your family’s food) for a week, and you will have to spend some time being interviewed for the segment too. Lights! Camera! Action!
  • Your reward will include some free groceries and a digital food scale.
  • Filming will take place in your home during the first week of December.
  • I’m not even going to think about how many people watch THE NATIONAL. So you shouldn’t either.
  • The piece will air sometime in the New Year.
  • I’m secretly hoping Wendy Mesley will be the one who comes on site to interview our family about our eating habits. But then again, I’m not sure if I have time to do a kitchen reno before then. Maybe I could lay down a new floor. Or paint?** (Or – OMG – what it if turns out to be PETER. IN MY KITCHEN. Gah! (Sidebar: remember THIS post. It’s almost coming true! Almost! *whimper*)

Ok. If you’re interested and think you might fit the bill, please contact me via this form and I’ll put you in touch with the right people. Thank you!

** ETA: Mark has clearly stated that I am not to paint the kitchen. But he HASN’T said that I can’t hire someone else to do it. Ha!

11 Responses to "An Ottawa casting call"

1 | karengreeners

November 23rd, 2010 at 10:00 am

That’s awesome! How exciting! Be sure to tell us when this all will air :)

2 | Annie @ PhD in Parenting

November 23rd, 2010 at 10:15 am

We don’t have tweens yet, but a good German sausage is both convenient and ethnic. ;) (just kidding).

3 | Bob LeDrew

November 23rd, 2010 at 10:19 am

Calm, Andrea. Calm. It would likely be Kelly Crowe, their health specialist, or Lesley MacKinnon, their doc person here in Ottawa. As wonderful as you and the family are, I don’t know you’re gonna get Peter Mansbridge on this one. ;-)

4 | Kaitlin

November 23rd, 2010 at 11:19 am

Ha. I don’t blame you for being excited. Sadly, I don’t know any families with tweenaged children. Actually, that might be a good thing, given my own age.

But yes, that’s wonderful news!!! And I know what you mean about being told *not* to paint…though I think that’s more because I’m married to someone who does it for a living ;)

5 | coffeewithjulie

November 23rd, 2010 at 11:48 am

Holy cow – Big news! I can’t wait to follow your family on this segment!

6 | Capital Mom

November 23rd, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I can’t wait to watch this. I think it will make for great tv. :-)

7 | Judy

November 23rd, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Awesome news…. we are the family always looking for convenience (usually me freezing meals for the Husband to finish) but aren’t a family of four. Or with tweenage kids.

8 | Micheline Turnau

November 24th, 2010 at 12:59 pm

This is great Andrea! I heard about this CBC idea when I was in Toronto last week. It is a piece they are doing in the new year across Canada.

9 | Will they eat it: an easy recipe for (vegetarian!) lasagna >> a peek inside the fishbowl

December 1st, 2010 at 10:06 am

[…] to tell you about what went down at Casa Fishbowl yesterday. The National was coming to my house (remember?) and I had a few things to do around here.  My priority was to clean the kitchen and my mop head […]

10 | “So do you want the good news, or the bad news?” >> a peek inside the fishbowl

December 2nd, 2010 at 3:03 pm

[…] the phone. He was the reason why The National was at my house the other day. (First written about here, and a bit in a frazzled […]

11 | Reduced-sodium taco recipe, er, assembly >> a peek inside the fishbowl

April 18th, 2011 at 1:18 pm

[…] some time. Remember that CBC National segment that my family was supposed to be on (written about here and here)? It aired back in January and is online […]

• Ang Antos: I would respectfully disagree that the parks should open up individual reviews for each site, part of camping is the adventure, the not knowing and di
  • Maureen Kilpatrick: I love reading books and last year I read the most I’ve ever read since I started tracking on Goodreads. It was mostly due to the pandemic and the l
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive weathering - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] am happy to say that I am still making my bed every day and reading lots of books. I don’t want to oversell it, but the making the bed
  • jdope: It is ridiculously addictive, if you can get your hands on some it won't last long. FYI The ingredients on the Ikea Mustard Dill Jar: Canola Oil, M
  • Lisa from Iroquois: Totally get why you saved that calendar. You know, the way it is designed, you could easily create an slip of paper with 2021 calendar and glue it i
  • Stephanie Henderson: Thank you very much, you're an outstanding author! Maintain providing us with excellent stuff later on.
  • valiasi: So hard to say. Yet, knowing your tendency for either opening or finishing can help you understand what habits you need to work against and what parts