17 Mar, 2011

A year with Piper

Posted by andrea tomkins in: dog stuff

My head is thick with a cold and I am hearing everything through a veil today. It’s not the best day for writing, but I figure the best way to deal with it is to just get up and move… and try to ignore what’s going on inside my body.

I spent most of yesterday curled up on the couch with a friend. This girl right here:

Piper - March 2011

I’m pretty sure she knew that something was amiss. She was happy to just hang out, only occasionally pressing a rubber chicken against the backs of my knees while I walked or playfully shoving her ratty “foxy” in my face.

Piper and Foxy

I’ve been thinking a lot about how our lives have changed now that we have a four-legged family member. I can’t believe I was ever unsure.

This is what she looked like when she first came into our lives, almost a year ago:

Piper, just over 3 months

It was a lot of work at first. But without a doubt, dog ownership (or should I say, companionship), has made me a happier person. There is no question that people who own dogs are healthier, and have lower stress and lower blood-pressure. I know this to be true because I feel it in myself.

When I come in the door, or I stroke her wiry fur I can feel everything falling away. God she makes me laugh. That little face is so funny, and so full of expression. I always know what she’s thinking:

Gettin' a brushin'

Piper can also be infuriating. She’s as stubborn as they come. She has a one-track mind as it pertains to other dogs. She wants nothing but to sniff and say hello, which is fine, most of the time, but I don’t think she’ll ever become an “off leash” kind of dog. She’d see a dog in the distance and never come back.

It’s not like she’s stupid. Quite the opposite. She’s a little too smart. She knows all kinds of tricks now. She’s recently learned to ring a bell if she needs to go out. She can sit, sit up (beg), do a dance (go up on her hind legs), shake a paw, roll over, stay, and lie on her back (“show me your tummy”). Problem is, she only listens if you have a treat in you hand. In fact, “cookie” is the first word she learned.

I don’t think she’ll do ANYTHING if there wasn’t anything in it for her. See? Smart.

What else?

She loves to steal your warm spot on the couch.
She tries to sneak into our bed when she thinks we don’t know.
She loves tuna fish, and comes running when a can is opened.
She’s crazy about popcorn. Watch out if you drop a kernel.
She loves squeak toys. I think it’s because she thinks she’s killing something.
She loves her family. Sarah, as the youngest puppy, gets all of the kisses.
She loves to play. And get fresh air in her snoot.
She hates puddles.
She’s never turned on anyone or reacted in anger.
She loves to sleep in a sunny spot.

I count my doggy blessing every day and am so grateful that she’s come into our lives. The house would be so sad and empty without her.

Tags:

Print this post Print this post

9 Responses to "A year with Piper"

1 | Valerie

March 17th, 2011 at 11:08 am

love the pic with the ratty foxy. Glad it worked out better than you expected.

2 | J.

March 17th, 2011 at 11:34 am

Awwww… now you make me want my own pup. We’re also ‘sort of’ looking. Nothing until after May, but would love to see a furry animal in our house soon.

3 | Sherry

March 17th, 2011 at 12:25 pm

She’s such a sweetheart. :) I love that picture of her staring down the popcorn and when I showed it to my youngest she thought it was hilarious.

I love having a dog. There are times – when it’s raining, really cold, or really hot and I have to take her out – that I wonder what I was thinking but I love her.

4 | Rae

March 17th, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Aura has the same fox! It’s the best thing we’ve ever bought for her!

5 | Trish

March 17th, 2011 at 4:05 pm

As Piper was entering your life, we were losing the ‘spark’ in ours: we lost our beloved Jack Russell almost a year ago (mar. 15) and miss him every day (though there are things I don’t miss like the 2am bark to go out to pee). I enjoy the posts about Piper as it allows me to live vicariously as a dog owner.

6 | Pauline

March 18th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Awww, Piper’s a cutie! Dogs and domestic animals in general add so much love and humor to a household!
Our Selena can also be stubborn too and eats anything and everything, but she is such a wonderful dog and we love her to bits! Our cats a little less so…but they “tolerate” her most of the time! ;)

7 | FireMom

March 20th, 2011 at 8:20 am

Oh man. This post makes me want a dog now. But I don’t think we’re ready yet. Sigh.

8 | Chantal

March 20th, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Oh that is so sweet. It almost makes me rethink the whole dog thing…

March 21st, 2011 at 8:59 am

Thanks everyone.
Piper is an awesome dog. We totally lucked out!

Trish, you can borrow her anytime you like. :)

NAC Ottawa family events

Fall family fun fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Litterless lunch solutions at terra20

Zen Kitchen is open! Use code FISHBOWL for free dessert

Nepean Visual Arts Centre

Visit tThe Village Quire in Westboro Ottawa!

bucketlist

etc.

• Safe and Sound: To me and no doubt others out there, the thunderous gun battle video is incredible because we see law enforcement officers running towards this hell.
  • andrea tomkins: Hi Brenda, I suggest you contact PC Plus about changing your account information. You can do that right here:  https://www.pcplus.ca/loyalty-help.
  • Brenda: I always received an email saying it ws time to Load My Points for the week and it was very simple to just make one click of the mouse and my bonus po
  • andrea tomkins: The winner is commenter #52, Lynn Vandenbroeck, who wrote: "I host weekly board game nights. I would love to allow the group to enjoy some new boa
  • Elnaz S: I would splurge on board games! Apples to Apples, Pandemic, Trivial Pursuit..so many to choose from!
  • Mel: my kids love playmobil. This would help with the Christmas list. thanks for the chance!
  • Ashley: Loved that LinkedIn article! I wish people would say hi more in general. I can't stand walking down our suburban street and the person coming towards

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 824 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #
  • My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

On this date in the archives

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: