27 Oct, 2011
The 100 club (a.k.a. my S.A.D plan)
Posted by andrea tomkins in: Challenge me, challenge you
This is a continuation of yesterday’s post, written as I bask in the glow of my Litebook. ;)
Before I go much further I would like to clarify that here at Casa Fishbowl we stress the importance of healthy bodies, not skinny bodies. We appreciate that good health comes in all shapes and sizes, and good health is many things: eating right, good physical health, and good mental health too.
Last night I took the dog for a long walk. I realized a few things:
- 1) Although I completed the Couch-to-5K program last summer (and I struggled) I really do prefer to walk. Fast. I think it might be better for me, and it’s less punishing so I’m more likely to keep doing it.
- 2) When I take the dog out for a walk I need to ditch the fancy footwear and opt for running shoes instead. They’re lighter, better for my feet, and help me walk faster.
- 3) I need my music. Having music with me keeps me going faster for a longer period of time. Just walking to the rhythm of the music makes a huge difference. My secret love: bass-pumping pop tunes. And sometimes I’ll dance out loud. I’m sure I look totally ridiculous but it’s FUN.
This is one of the tunes I’ve had on repeat. And I don’t really even know what it’s about but I LOVE IT.
So anyway, yes. I had my music and Piper was trotting beside me and we were totally CHEWING UP THE SIDEWALK. I was out of breath. I felt awesome, it just felt so good to be here. Confession: I think I may have cried a little bit … it just felt so great to be alive, cutting through the night air with music in my heart.
I came across this image on Pinterest recently. And you know what, it was exactly what I needed to motivate me to get off my rear end. It’s quick and easy, something I can do at home to get my blood pumping in the morning. And it won’t even take me that long to do it.
My idea (which I alluded to yesterday) was to undertake a series of actions to help me get through the next 100 days. And I’m going to strike it off a calendar I will make just for this purpose.
During the next 100 days I have promised myself that I will do the following:
- 40 jumping jacks, 30 crunches, 20 squats, 10 push-ups every day (it adds up to 100. Handy eh?)
- Drink one extra glass of water.
- Take my Vitamin D.
- Drink more green tea. Can I do one a day? Instead of a coffee or black tea in the afternoon? Hmm.
- Give myself a dose of light using my Litebook every morning
- Remember to eat breakfast before 9:00 a.m.
Baby steps, right? And anything above and beyond what I’ve listed here is pure awesome.
Anyway, that’s the plan. Care to join me? Obviously your list might be different than mine, but that’s ok. Let’s see if we can bust out of those moody blues this year!
Edited to add: I started a page for the 100 Club. It has a Google Calendar on it. Every day I finish my 100 I’m going to write my name down. Anything above that; the water and the Vitamin D etc. is a bonus. And I’ll write that in too. You can use it too! Just send me a note with your email address and I will give you permission to edit it. :)