08 Jan, 2012

The view from the top of Carlington Hill

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Easy ways to make kids happy

It’s a sledding secret in this part of Ottawa. Have you been sledding at Carlington Hill, just behind Dulude arena? We went skating there yesterday and followed it up with a couple runs down this big ol’ hill.

Do you know it used to be a ski hill? It’s no surprise.

View from the top of Carlington Park Hill

We haven’t been tobogganing here before. Rumour had it that it was snowboarders-only, and that it was rather treacherous. I have to disagree on both counts. I think it’s better and safer than sledding at the Arboretum.

The climb is breathtaking, literally. We were all out of air by the time we reached the top, but it was a grand descent, we shot like arrows into the grey sky, our ruddy faces splattered with bits of snow when we finally reached the bottom.

9 Responses to "The view from the top of Carlington Hill"

1 | Ginger

January 9th, 2012 at 9:58 am

This is why I want to visit the North in winter and in summer and in spring and fall too! :) I know most people probably want to avoid the winter months…but sledding? REAL sledding? I have never done that and it sounds like so much fun. Do places rent sleds like they do skis and snowboards? Surely they do…

January 9th, 2012 at 10:56 am

I don’t know about sled rental. Everyone pretty much has their own. There are ski hills around here that offer tubing. You do pay for that. p.s. So when are you coming to Ottawa? :)

3 | Matt

January 9th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Do they allow little children to use skis on the hill? I want to teach my 3 year old to ski but considering his 15 minute attention span, a lift pass at a real ski hill this year would be a total waste. Looks perfect for teaching him to snowplow.

January 9th, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Matt: I think this hill is too big for someone you son’s age. I recommend a smaller slope. Have you ever been to Westboro Beach? There’s a much smaller hill there.

5 | Sheila D.

January 11th, 2012 at 10:11 am

Ginger, you could buy a plastic saucer (sled) for $5 at Canadian Tire. Just Google Canadian Tire snow sled and you will find a variety of cheap sleds. And CT is just a few blocks from Carlington Hill.

My daughter got hit by a couple of kids on a sli sled, 1997 at Carlington. On March Break no less! She fractured both bones just above the ankle. We sought help from Dulude Arena staff who were great. They took care of her while I ran home for the car to take her to hospital. Teach your kids to be alert on the hill.

6 | Dee

January 16th, 2012 at 10:24 pm

GREAT night of sledding! Well-lit, no trees, great descent, only a few snowboarders who stayed to the sides. Good recommendation.

7 | Victoria

January 29th, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I can remember my father taking me and my sister tobogganing there when we were kids. The hill is probably too high for my youngest to handle, but I’m sure his twin sister and her cousin would have a blast!

9 | Paul

December 7th, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Coming to Ottawa for youth hockey in December. Any suggestions on good hills for a ten and seven year old from the Virginia

NAC Nutcracker

Fall fun at Saunders Farm!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

OMS Ottawa Montessori schools

terra20 Ottawa

Bugs at the Canadian Museum of Nature Ottawa

• Tobs Gabriel: Have you guys try gamesontruck.ca? They supply mobile video game truck and photobooth to kids birthday parties across Ottawa, Ontario.
  • andrea tomkins: We have a winner! Check your email. :)
  • Heather: Thank you for the reminder. Having the REDBLACKS in the Grey Cup this year took over in the brain.
  • andrea tomkins: Claudette, I do love those mom and pop shops! We have lots in this area too. Binki, to answer your question, yes, I'm representing Ottawa, even th
  • binki: I don't get this. You are representing Ottawa? Just you...for the whole city?
  • Claudette: We live in a neighbourhood south of Lakeshore (along Lake Ontario) and all along Lakeshore there are many bustling little businesses, not chains, most
  • andrea tomkins: Brenda ... I haven't! I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (16) and Sarah (14). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

On this date in the archives