08 Jan, 2012

The view from the top of Carlington Hill

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Easy ways to make kids happy

It’s a sledding secret in this part of Ottawa. Have you been sledding at Carlington Hill, just behind Dulude arena? We went skating there yesterday and followed it up with a couple runs down this big ol’ hill.

Do you know it used to be a ski hill? It’s no surprise.

View from the top of Carlington Park Hill

We haven’t been tobogganing here before. Rumour had it that it was snowboarders-only, and that it was rather treacherous. I have to disagree on both counts. I think it’s better and safer than sledding at the Arboretum.

The climb is breathtaking, literally. We were all out of air by the time we reached the top, but it was a grand descent, we shot like arrows into the grey sky, our ruddy faces splattered with bits of snow when we finally reached the bottom.

12 Responses to "The view from the top of Carlington Hill"

1 | Ginger

January 9th, 2012 at 9:58 am

This is why I want to visit the North in winter and in summer and in spring and fall too! :) I know most people probably want to avoid the winter months…but sledding? REAL sledding? I have never done that and it sounds like so much fun. Do places rent sleds like they do skis and snowboards? Surely they do…

January 9th, 2012 at 10:56 am

I don’t know about sled rental. Everyone pretty much has their own. There are ski hills around here that offer tubing. You do pay for that. p.s. So when are you coming to Ottawa? :)

3 | Matt

January 9th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Do they allow little children to use skis on the hill? I want to teach my 3 year old to ski but considering his 15 minute attention span, a lift pass at a real ski hill this year would be a total waste. Looks perfect for teaching him to snowplow.

January 9th, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Matt: I think this hill is too big for someone you son’s age. I recommend a smaller slope. Have you ever been to Westboro Beach? There’s a much smaller hill there.

5 | Sheila D.

January 11th, 2012 at 10:11 am

Ginger, you could buy a plastic saucer (sled) for $5 at Canadian Tire. Just Google Canadian Tire snow sled and you will find a variety of cheap sleds. And CT is just a few blocks from Carlington Hill.

My daughter got hit by a couple of kids on a sli sled, 1997 at Carlington. On March Break no less! She fractured both bones just above the ankle. We sought help from Dulude Arena staff who were great. They took care of her while I ran home for the car to take her to hospital. Teach your kids to be alert on the hill.

6 | Dee

January 16th, 2012 at 10:24 pm

GREAT night of sledding! Well-lit, no trees, great descent, only a few snowboarders who stayed to the sides. Good recommendation.

7 | Victoria

January 29th, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I can remember my father taking me and my sister tobogganing there when we were kids. The hill is probably too high for my youngest to handle, but I’m sure his twin sister and her cousin would have a blast!

9 | Paul

December 7th, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Coming to Ottawa for youth hockey in December. Any suggestions on good hills for a ten and seven year old from the Virginia

10 | Wendy tucker

September 28th, 2016 at 4:11 pm

This would be it!! CARLINGTON HILL..

11 | Wendy tucker

September 28th, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Please join our Facebook page:Friends of Carlinton Hill” … We would love for you to post this picture… Thank you

12 | allan johnson

April 22nd, 2017 at 3:42 pm

been tobogganing on this hill since 1965

Expert lice removal services in Ottawa with Lice Services Canada

• andrea tomkins: Lisa, I just LOVE the idea of cheeseburgers for breakfast. Sounds like the perfect hot meal, especially for growing kids!
  • andrea tomkins: The amount of sugar in grocery store products is positively astounding. Caesar salad dressing! Pita crisps! Ketchup! Battered fish! I wish I had a bet
  • Amy: I've recently been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, it's made me take a lot harder look at all the sugar in my diet. Even though I was trying to
  • Lisa from Iroqouis: I have no problem with ribs for breakfast. I love leftovers in the morning. No fuss no muss. Isn't that what leftover Chinese food and pizza is for
  • andrea tomkins: Food traditions are so interesting! I could continue to eat like this, but meat is my stumbling block. I would prefer to eat less of it, not more. I c
  • Claudette: I also prefer veg to fruit in the morning. The other day I was watching an episode of a cattle farmer and they don't eat anything until 10:30 am s
  • Misty Pratt: I read that NYT article (the one about reducing your sugar?) and went to check a few things in our cupboards. I was happy to see the Farm Boy pita cra