08 Jan, 2012

The view from the top of Carlington Hill

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Easy ways to make kids happy

It’s a sledding secret in this part of Ottawa. Have you been sledding at Carlington Hill, just behind Dulude arena? We went skating there yesterday and followed it up with a couple runs down this big ol’ hill.

Do you know it used to be a ski hill? It’s no surprise.

View from the top of Carlington Park Hill

We haven’t been tobogganing here before. Rumour had it that it was snowboarders-only, and that it was rather treacherous. I have to disagree on both counts. I think it’s better and safer than sledding at the Arboretum.

The climb is breathtaking, literally. We were all out of air by the time we reached the top, but it was a grand descent, we shot like arrows into the grey sky, our ruddy faces splattered with bits of snow when we finally reached the bottom.

Print this post Print this post

9 Responses to "The view from the top of Carlington Hill"

1 | Ginger

January 9th, 2012 at 9:58 am

This is why I want to visit the North in winter and in summer and in spring and fall too! :) I know most people probably want to avoid the winter months…but sledding? REAL sledding? I have never done that and it sounds like so much fun. Do places rent sleds like they do skis and snowboards? Surely they do…

January 9th, 2012 at 10:56 am

I don’t know about sled rental. Everyone pretty much has their own. There are ski hills around here that offer tubing. You do pay for that. p.s. So when are you coming to Ottawa? :)

3 | Matt

January 9th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Do they allow little children to use skis on the hill? I want to teach my 3 year old to ski but considering his 15 minute attention span, a lift pass at a real ski hill this year would be a total waste. Looks perfect for teaching him to snowplow.

January 9th, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Matt: I think this hill is too big for someone you son’s age. I recommend a smaller slope. Have you ever been to Westboro Beach? There’s a much smaller hill there.

5 | Sheila D.

January 11th, 2012 at 10:11 am

Ginger, you could buy a plastic saucer (sled) for $5 at Canadian Tire. Just Google Canadian Tire snow sled and you will find a variety of cheap sleds. And CT is just a few blocks from Carlington Hill.

My daughter got hit by a couple of kids on a sli sled, 1997 at Carlington. On March Break no less! She fractured both bones just above the ankle. We sought help from Dulude Arena staff who were great. They took care of her while I ran home for the car to take her to hospital. Teach your kids to be alert on the hill.

6 | Dee

January 16th, 2012 at 10:24 pm

GREAT night of sledding! Well-lit, no trees, great descent, only a few snowboarders who stayed to the sides. Good recommendation.

7 | Victoria

January 29th, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I can remember my father taking me and my sister tobogganing there when we were kids. The hill is probably too high for my youngest to handle, but I’m sure his twin sister and her cousin would have a blast!

9 | Paul

December 7th, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Coming to Ottawa for youth hockey in December. Any suggestions on good hills for a ten and seven year old from the Virginia

NAC Ottawa events

Christmas ideas from Saunders Farm!

Frogs - a Chorus of Colours - at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Funhaven - Ottawa's destination for birthday parties and fun

terra20 Ottawa celebrates Earth Month

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

IMAX 3D - Journey to the South Pacific

bucketlist

etc.

• Michelle: Yeah I got a rude awakening about the loading the offer stuff to your phone and it was for spending over $100 for 10000 points . The customer service
  • andrea tomkins: I don't this has ever happened before... but the winner according to random.org is commenter #87 - Nicola - the VERY last person to enter. :) Congr
  • andrea tomkins: Comments are officially closed to new entries! Stay tuned for the winner!
  • Nicola: For my second entry: I'd love some extra metal lunch containers, as I'm trying to phase out the plastics wherever possible...
  • Nicola: I turn the furnace down a lot when we are out and at night, and have been explaining the "lights off as you leave the room" thing to my son. I am als
  • Barb Sohn: We have a rain barrel in the front yard, two composters in the back yard. Our gargage is down to one small bag every week. We buy shampoos, cleaners
  • Deb: I coordinate the recycling program at my school with a team of students including black box, blue box and compost. We are having litterless lunches fo

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (14) and Sarah (12). I am the Editor of the Kitchissippi Times as well as Capital Parent Newspaper. I'm also a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999 (which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which). The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 655 and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:
Created with flickr badge.
Click the photo for details: what it is, where I ate it (if it's worth a mention!), and how to cook it (if there happens to be a recipe). You can also read more about this project right here.

Sideblog

A year before

• 2013-04-20 No articles on this date.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too:

Follow the Fishbowl’s companion page on Facebook

Let's stick a pin in that

Miz Mooz Women's Car