08 Jan, 2012

The view from the top of Carlington Hill

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Easy ways to make kids happy

It’s a sledding secret in this part of Ottawa. Have you been sledding at Carlington Hill, just behind Dulude arena? We went skating there yesterday and followed it up with a couple runs down this big ol’ hill.

Do you know it used to be a ski hill? It’s no surprise.

View from the top of Carlington Park Hill

We haven’t been tobogganing here before. Rumour had it that it was snowboarders-only, and that it was rather treacherous. I have to disagree on both counts. I think it’s better and safer than sledding at the Arboretum.

The climb is breathtaking, literally. We were all out of air by the time we reached the top, but it was a grand descent, we shot like arrows into the grey sky, our ruddy faces splattered with bits of snow when we finally reached the bottom.

Print this post Print this post

9 Responses to "The view from the top of Carlington Hill"

1 | Ginger

January 9th, 2012 at 9:58 am

This is why I want to visit the North in winter and in summer and in spring and fall too! :) I know most people probably want to avoid the winter months…but sledding? REAL sledding? I have never done that and it sounds like so much fun. Do places rent sleds like they do skis and snowboards? Surely they do…

January 9th, 2012 at 10:56 am

I don’t know about sled rental. Everyone pretty much has their own. There are ski hills around here that offer tubing. You do pay for that. p.s. So when are you coming to Ottawa? :)

3 | Matt

January 9th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Do they allow little children to use skis on the hill? I want to teach my 3 year old to ski but considering his 15 minute attention span, a lift pass at a real ski hill this year would be a total waste. Looks perfect for teaching him to snowplow.

January 9th, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Matt: I think this hill is too big for someone you son’s age. I recommend a smaller slope. Have you ever been to Westboro Beach? There’s a much smaller hill there.

5 | Sheila D.

January 11th, 2012 at 10:11 am

Ginger, you could buy a plastic saucer (sled) for $5 at Canadian Tire. Just Google Canadian Tire snow sled and you will find a variety of cheap sleds. And CT is just a few blocks from Carlington Hill.

My daughter got hit by a couple of kids on a sli sled, 1997 at Carlington. On March Break no less! She fractured both bones just above the ankle. We sought help from Dulude Arena staff who were great. They took care of her while I ran home for the car to take her to hospital. Teach your kids to be alert on the hill.

6 | Dee

January 16th, 2012 at 10:24 pm

GREAT night of sledding! Well-lit, no trees, great descent, only a few snowboarders who stayed to the sides. Good recommendation.

7 | Victoria

January 29th, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I can remember my father taking me and my sister tobogganing there when we were kids. The hill is probably too high for my youngest to handle, but I’m sure his twin sister and her cousin would have a blast!

9 | Paul

December 7th, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Coming to Ottawa for youth hockey in December. Any suggestions on good hills for a ten and seven year old from the Virginia

NAC Ottawa family events

Summertime fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

Litterless lunch solutions at terra20

bucketlist

etc.

• Molly: Well, you know how much I love Tattly!! Big believer in temporary ink...
  • Brenda A: These are super cute and I am off to check out the site. I am tattoo free and happy with that, but temp cuties like these will be great!
  • andrea tomkins: I really liked the tofu in this recipe, but yes, you could totally add shredded chicken!
  • Javamom: I saw that recipe and thought I'd make it myself too although I'd probably leave out the tofu. Not a fan....but it sounds so versatile. If I wanted I
  • Lynn: Also wanted to add: am enjoying your weekend link posts - keep them coming!
  • Lynn: Ooooh...just finished Bellweather Rhapsody myself! I adored it :).
  • andrea tomkins: Lori, You can't earn points just for buying anything at the store, that's kind of the point. You earn points by (1) selecting the groceries that hav

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 790 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #
  • My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #

On this date in the archives

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: