16 Dec, 2013

Birdfeeder revisited

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Oh! Things!

I know I’ve written about this before, but I had to say YET AGAIN how awesome this little bird feeder has been. Truly, it has been the gift that keeps on giving.

20131124_113333

(Click to enlarge the photo. It’s Mrs. Cardinal! She’s a regular.)

I think this cold snap has been tough on the poor little buggers. They’re flocking to the feeder like crazy.

If you have a bird feeder, make sure it’s full! If not, maybe it’s time to get one. You can even make a bird feeder out of stale bagels you know.

10 Responses to "Birdfeeder revisited"

1 | Cari

December 16th, 2013 at 9:07 am

Did the feeder ever fall off the window? Has a bird ever flown into the window? Our feeder is about 8 feet from the house and it’s very active. Right on the window would be cool. Although, we get a couple of birds every summer that fly right into the glass. :-( It breaks my heart every time it happens. That’s my concern about drawing the birds closer to the house. Has it ever happened to you?

2 | andrea tomkins

December 16th, 2013 at 9:21 am

Watching the birds from this close is better than TV.
The feeder has never fallen off, and I have never seen a bird fly into the window. They put on the brakes well ahead of time!

3 | Tracy

December 16th, 2013 at 9:59 am

I love my bird feeder, but can’t seem to get a great picture of them – I love this picture of the cardinal. Beautiful.

4 | Cleo Thompson

December 16th, 2013 at 10:23 am

Do they still sell it at Canadian Tire Andrea? Do you know the brand name by any chance? I can’t seem to find it on their website.

5 | avian

December 16th, 2013 at 2:10 pm

What a coincidence. I made and put up a birdfeeder yesterday. A big one that, I’m hoping, is squirrel proof. I also feed the squirrels though, ’cause maan it’s cold out.

6 | Carrie

December 16th, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I went to my local Canadian Tire looking for this feeder after you posted about it the first time. I did not find this one (bummer) but I bought another one. It’s been filled and hung on the fence outside the kitchen window for about two weeks now… not a single visitor yet. C’mon, birds! With all the snow on the ground now they’re bound to come soon…

7 | andrea tomkins

December 17th, 2013 at 9:36 am

I was at my local Canadian Tire and I didn’t see it there. I did find it online at Home Hardware though! Might be worth looking into: http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Outdoor-Living/General-Merchandise/Wild-Bird-Animal-Supplies/Feeders/Mixed-Seed/Window-Wild-Bird-Feeder/_/N-ntmaq/No-120/R-I5454395?Num=0

8 | andrea tomkins

December 17th, 2013 at 9:37 am

By the way, it took several weeks for birds to get used to our feeders!

9 | Katherine

December 17th, 2013 at 11:19 am

Hi Andrea! That’s cool! Great shot!

It actually IS safer to have the bird feeders close to the window:

RELOCATE YOUR BIRD FEEDERS
Position your bird feeders, birdbaths and other attractants half a meter (1.5 feet) or less from your windows. From this short distance, birds cannot build up enough momentum to injure themselves should they hit your window. This may seem counter-intuitive, but the closer the bird feeder to your window, the better for the birds and your viewing!

From Toronto FLAP site (http://www.flap.org/residential.php)

10 | Life of K

January 5th, 2014 at 10:42 am

We made one in the spring but it had to go. We should make another.

NAC presents the Mozart Experience

Annual pass at Saunders Farm!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

OMS Ottawa Montessori schools

terra20 Ottawa

Dinosaurs Canadian Museum of Nature Ottawa

Tendre at the National Arts Centre Ottawa

• Arif: Hi Andrea, Just wanted to say thankyou personally for blogging about my sandwich and menu. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it, and hope to see you soon
  • Louise collett: Fantastic just done this with my daughter for school home work impressed she was.. thanks
  • Jenny: These shoes are the best! So comfortable. Glad you love them too.
  • andrea tomkins: Cindy, the short answer is YES! p.s. that turkey sandwich looked pretty good too. They were making it while I was waiting for my ham sandwich!
  • Cindy Wolfe: I had the turkey sandwich earlier this week. It was AMAZING!!! So maybe I need to head there tomorrow for the ham according to your suggestion too?
  • joy: yum!
  • andrea tomkins: Claudette, it's a frozen yogurt from Yogurty's! Those little balls on top are fruit balls (er, for lack of a better term). They're my favourite toppin

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (16) and Sarah (14). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

On this date in the archives