16 Dec, 2013

Birdfeeder revisited

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Oh! Things!

I know I’ve written about this before, but I had to say YET AGAIN how awesome this little bird feeder has been. Truly, it has been the gift that keeps on giving.

20131124_113333

(Click to enlarge the photo. It’s Mrs. Cardinal! She’s a regular.)

I think this cold snap has been tough on the poor little buggers. They’re flocking to the feeder like crazy.

If you have a bird feeder, make sure it’s full! If not, maybe it’s time to get one. You can even make a bird feeder out of stale bagels you know.

Print this post Print this post

10 Responses to "Birdfeeder revisited"

1 | Cari

December 16th, 2013 at 9:07 am

Did the feeder ever fall off the window? Has a bird ever flown into the window? Our feeder is about 8 feet from the house and it’s very active. Right on the window would be cool. Although, we get a couple of birds every summer that fly right into the glass. :-( It breaks my heart every time it happens. That’s my concern about drawing the birds closer to the house. Has it ever happened to you?

2 | andrea tomkins

December 16th, 2013 at 9:21 am

Watching the birds from this close is better than TV.
The feeder has never fallen off, and I have never seen a bird fly into the window. They put on the brakes well ahead of time!

3 | Tracy

December 16th, 2013 at 9:59 am

I love my bird feeder, but can’t seem to get a great picture of them – I love this picture of the cardinal. Beautiful.

4 | Cleo Thompson

December 16th, 2013 at 10:23 am

Do they still sell it at Canadian Tire Andrea? Do you know the brand name by any chance? I can’t seem to find it on their website.

5 | avian

December 16th, 2013 at 2:10 pm

What a coincidence. I made and put up a birdfeeder yesterday. A big one that, I’m hoping, is squirrel proof. I also feed the squirrels though, ’cause maan it’s cold out.

6 | Carrie

December 16th, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I went to my local Canadian Tire looking for this feeder after you posted about it the first time. I did not find this one (bummer) but I bought another one. It’s been filled and hung on the fence outside the kitchen window for about two weeks now… not a single visitor yet. C’mon, birds! With all the snow on the ground now they’re bound to come soon…

7 | andrea tomkins

December 17th, 2013 at 9:36 am

I was at my local Canadian Tire and I didn’t see it there. I did find it online at Home Hardware though! Might be worth looking into: http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Outdoor-Living/General-Merchandise/Wild-Bird-Animal-Supplies/Feeders/Mixed-Seed/Window-Wild-Bird-Feeder/_/N-ntmaq/No-120/R-I5454395?Num=0

8 | andrea tomkins

December 17th, 2013 at 9:37 am

By the way, it took several weeks for birds to get used to our feeders!

9 | Katherine

December 17th, 2013 at 11:19 am

Hi Andrea! That’s cool! Great shot!

It actually IS safer to have the bird feeders close to the window:

RELOCATE YOUR BIRD FEEDERS
Position your bird feeders, birdbaths and other attractants half a meter (1.5 feet) or less from your windows. From this short distance, birds cannot build up enough momentum to injure themselves should they hit your window. This may seem counter-intuitive, but the closer the bird feeder to your window, the better for the birds and your viewing!

From Toronto FLAP site (http://www.flap.org/residential.php)

10 | Life of K

January 5th, 2014 at 10:42 am

We made one in the spring but it had to go. We should make another.

NAC Ottawa family events

Saunders Farm annual passes for family fun!

Arctic Voices, Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Holiday shopping at terra20 - Ottawa

Nepean Visual Arts Centre

Visit tThe Village Quire in Westboro Ottawa!

bucketlist

etc.

• andrea tomkins: p.s. I think socks and underwear are the perfect gift in the "NEED" category!
  • andrea tomkins: It is pretty awesome!
  • andrea tomkins: Lynn, I can’t tell you what I got them because the girls might read it, but what really helps is if they tell you what they need! Generally, I think
  • Lynn: I also try to follow this general rule but like you, I cheat on the stockings - that's where the impulse buying happens! I also struggle with the "som
  • Shan: I've also adopted that formula for this year. To be honest I've been heading in that direction for some time now. I've switched most of our gifts to o
  • Life of K: We've done this for a few years now and I love it! It really helps me from buying ALL THE THINGS for the kids and really think about what they'd like
  • Stefania: Love the pop song mash-up.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 902 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• My latest post on the MediaSmarts website is up, and it's about family social media accounts. (Yes! It's a thing! And I think it's pretty neat.) Is this something you do as a family? I'd love it if you left your two cents on the topic.

- #
  • I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: