16 Dec, 2013

Birdfeeder revisited

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Oh! Things!

I know I’ve written about this before, but I had to say YET AGAIN how awesome this little bird feeder has been. Truly, it has been the gift that keeps on giving.

20131124_113333

(Click to enlarge the photo. It’s Mrs. Cardinal! She’s a regular.)

I think this cold snap has been tough on the poor little buggers. They’re flocking to the feeder like crazy.

If you have a bird feeder, make sure it’s full! If not, maybe it’s time to get one. You can even make a bird feeder out of stale bagels you know.

Print this post Print this post

10 Responses to "Birdfeeder revisited"

1 | Cari

December 16th, 2013 at 9:07 am

Did the feeder ever fall off the window? Has a bird ever flown into the window? Our feeder is about 8 feet from the house and it’s very active. Right on the window would be cool. Although, we get a couple of birds every summer that fly right into the glass. :-( It breaks my heart every time it happens. That’s my concern about drawing the birds closer to the house. Has it ever happened to you?

2 | andrea tomkins

December 16th, 2013 at 9:21 am

Watching the birds from this close is better than TV.
The feeder has never fallen off, and I have never seen a bird fly into the window. They put on the brakes well ahead of time!

3 | Tracy

December 16th, 2013 at 9:59 am

I love my bird feeder, but can’t seem to get a great picture of them – I love this picture of the cardinal. Beautiful.

4 | Cleo Thompson

December 16th, 2013 at 10:23 am

Do they still sell it at Canadian Tire Andrea? Do you know the brand name by any chance? I can’t seem to find it on their website.

5 | avian

December 16th, 2013 at 2:10 pm

What a coincidence. I made and put up a birdfeeder yesterday. A big one that, I’m hoping, is squirrel proof. I also feed the squirrels though, ’cause maan it’s cold out.

6 | Carrie

December 16th, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I went to my local Canadian Tire looking for this feeder after you posted about it the first time. I did not find this one (bummer) but I bought another one. It’s been filled and hung on the fence outside the kitchen window for about two weeks now… not a single visitor yet. C’mon, birds! With all the snow on the ground now they’re bound to come soon…

7 | andrea tomkins

December 17th, 2013 at 9:36 am

I was at my local Canadian Tire and I didn’t see it there. I did find it online at Home Hardware though! Might be worth looking into: http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Outdoor-Living/General-Merchandise/Wild-Bird-Animal-Supplies/Feeders/Mixed-Seed/Window-Wild-Bird-Feeder/_/N-ntmaq/No-120/R-I5454395?Num=0

8 | andrea tomkins

December 17th, 2013 at 9:37 am

By the way, it took several weeks for birds to get used to our feeders!

9 | Katherine

December 17th, 2013 at 11:19 am

Hi Andrea! That’s cool! Great shot!

It actually IS safer to have the bird feeders close to the window:

RELOCATE YOUR BIRD FEEDERS
Position your bird feeders, birdbaths and other attractants half a meter (1.5 feet) or less from your windows. From this short distance, birds cannot build up enough momentum to injure themselves should they hit your window. This may seem counter-intuitive, but the closer the bird feeder to your window, the better for the birds and your viewing!

From Toronto FLAP site (http://www.flap.org/residential.php)

10 | Life of K

January 5th, 2014 at 10:42 am

We made one in the spring but it had to go. We should make another.

NAC Ottawa events

Christmas ideas from Saunders Farm!

Frogs - a Chorus of Colours - at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Funhaven - Ottawa's destination for birthday parties and fun

terra20 Ottawa celebrates Earth Month

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

IMAX 3D - Journey to the South Pacific

bucketlist

etc.

• Lisa from Iroquois: Love the Yellowberry story.
  • Michelle: Yeah I got a rude awakening about the loading the offer stuff to your phone and it was for spending over $100 for 10000 points . The customer service
  • andrea tomkins: I don't this has ever happened before... but the winner according to random.org is commenter #87 - Nicola - the VERY last person to enter. :) Congr
  • andrea tomkins: Comments are officially closed to new entries! Stay tuned for the winner!
  • Nicola: For my second entry: I'd love some extra metal lunch containers, as I'm trying to phase out the plastics wherever possible...
  • Nicola: I turn the furnace down a lot when we are out and at night, and have been explaining the "lights off as you leave the room" thing to my son. I am als
  • Barb Sohn: We have a rain barrel in the front yard, two composters in the back yard. Our gargage is down to one small bag every week. We buy shampoos, cleaners

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (14) and Sarah (12). I am the Editor of the Kitchissippi Times as well as Capital Parent Newspaper. I'm also a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999 (which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which). The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 660 and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:
Created with flickr badge.
Click the photo for details: what it is, where I ate it (if it's worth a mention!), and how to cook it (if there happens to be a recipe). You can also read more about this project right here.

Sideblog

A year before

• 2013-04-20 No articles on this date.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too:

Follow the Fishbowl’s companion page on Facebook

Let's stick a pin in that

Miz Mooz Women's Car