08 Apr, 2008

The running of the sap

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Misc. life|Ottawa

Lordy lor’. Ottawans will right kill each other for a little bit of sweet stuff.

We went to Fulton’s sugar bush on Sunday. SUNDAY! Yes. The First Sunday of Sun and Warm Temperatures. So you can imagine what that was like.

Once good weather hits, everyone (and I’m including myself of course) goes totally crazy. And with good reason. It’s sunny! And warm! And we don’t have to stay cooped up in our homes!

So let’s get back to Sunday. We got up early and were there by 10:30 or so. It turns out that half of Ottawa had the exact same idea.

The lineup for the restaurant was an hour long. It was us, and about 200 other people.

Thankfully, the weather was good and I didn’t mind waiting.

This is what the fuss was all about:

I know it doesn’t look like much, but what you’re not seeing here is the heavy drizzling of fresh run maple syrup. MMmmmm.

The best part of Fulton’s by far, is the trail. It’s an easy 30 minute walk through the sugar bush. You can actually hear the sap running.

What’s interesting is that we were practically the only ones on this trail. What is wrong with people? You walk away from the crowd and within two minutes you’re all alone. It’s just you and the sun, the snow and the sap. Pure heaven. Who wouldn’t like a bit of that?

Sometimes you even had to duck under the sap lines. It was the world’s best game of limbo.

As we were leaving Fulton’s we noticed that the parking lot was totally full and cars were parked about 1 km down the country road. And to think had gone early.

I wondered how many pancakes they flipped that day.

On the way homeward we stopped in pretty little Pakenham to get some fries from the chip truck and explore the old stone bridge. Apparently it’s the only one of its kind in North America. We all thought this was pretty cool.

What a great way to spend a springy Sunday in Ottawa.

8 Responses to "The running of the sap"

1 | porter

April 8th, 2008 at 8:26 am

It sure is a great way to spend a springy Sunday in Ottawa! Sadly, we missed the maple syrup festivals in our area.

2 | Sharon

April 8th, 2008 at 9:12 am

I’m not a big fan of Sugar Bush fare. I would rather eat at home than eat that stuff. BUT I do love a chip wagon and a walk to wear that off.

LOL
It was a nice Sunday. We all went for a walkon Sunday the whole family! It was AWESOME!

April 8th, 2008 at 11:08 am

The sugar bush experience is not for everyone. (You know what, I don’t really even like pancakes, but I liked these ones.) The good thing about Fulton’s is that you don’t have to spend anything or even eat there to get a bit of enjoyment out of it.

4 | porter

April 8th, 2008 at 1:42 pm

I don’t like pancakes very much either but for some reason they do taste good at the maple syrup festivals/sugar bushes.

5 | words words

April 9th, 2008 at 8:33 am

Don’t forget the maple candy, and the snowy maple pops!

Ooo.. gotta get me one.

6 | Lindsay

April 9th, 2008 at 8:56 am

You should try Temple’s Sugar Camp – I can’t guarantee the line-ups will be any shorter, but the building is spectacular, and it’s more of a restaurant feel (they use real plates and everything!) It’s huge new log and timber frame building with giant windows and soaring ceilings. There is even a balcony on the upper level they open up for more seating when it gets busy. Take highway 7 towards Perth and turn off at county road 15. Here’s the link: http://www.templessugarcamp.ca/

7 | Jen_nifer

April 9th, 2008 at 8:23 pm

A woman from Fulton’s was on the A-Channel’s morning show last week. That probably added to th crowd.

I will have to make it out there sometime for their raspberry syrup. It looked delicious!

8 | March Break activities for kids in Ottawa >> a peek inside the fishbowl

March 13th, 2009 at 8:52 am

[…] trip … where, I don’t know yet. (ETA: maybe the sugarbush? We went to Fulton’s last year and it was a pretty […]

• Jinjer: I love that dog figurine so much!!!!
  • Dani: It's morrel season. Woot! https://photos.app.goo.gl/bE76iBETEpkDGU7w5
  • andrea tomkins: I will definitely check that out Tiana!
  • Yana: There is one near the train in Carleton Uni
  • Tiana: Oh there's a great book, if you haven't read it already - Gathering Moss by Robin Wall-Kimmerer.
  • Quail: Mushrooming is a fantastic hobby. Take a course in late September. These fun fall outings are usually very productive and often led by keen experts.
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive More about mushrooms - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] week I shared a quick recipe for mushrooms on toast. I deeply regret not running out and shoring up my mushroom supplies because I have a se

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.