01 May, 2009

I have a great spot for your next family photo

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Easy ways to make kids happy|Photography

… is at Dow’s Lake, RIGHT NOW.

There are a couple of gorgeous patches of naturalized daffodils growing right in the grass near Carling Avenue. If you wait too long you’ll miss them.

Daffodills at Dow's Lake

Daffodills at Dow's Lake

Daffodills at Dow's Lake

Daffodills at Dow's Lake

p.s. I have another Giveaway coming up today or tomorrow. I’m just finalizing the details! In the meantime, if you’re in Ottawa, don’t forget to enter the draw for four free tickets to see the opening night show of The Changeling at the NAC.

Tags: ,

11 Responses to "I have a great spot for your next family photo"

1 | The Veg Next Door

May 1st, 2009 at 10:15 am

Years ago you took a picture of Hubby among flowers. It sounds feminine but it wasn’t. We love that picture. His mom has it hanging at her house. Great shot!

2 | Loukia

May 1st, 2009 at 11:05 am

Gorgeous pictures! I think we’ll be heading over to Dow’s Lake this weekend too. And I’ll try to capture some great pics, as well. As hard as it is to get both my boys smiling at the same time for the camera! ;)

Maybe I should focus more on candid shots?

May 1st, 2009 at 11:53 am

It is hard to get two kids looking/smiling/posing at the same time. Candids are good. Just get them laughing and start snapping away! (Hint: go straight for the toilet humour for the biggest yuks.)

Which reminds me… I have a biggie photo-related post in the works. I hope to finish it up soon!

May 1st, 2009 at 11:56 am

Veg: I remember that pic well. Thanks for reminding me. I’m tickled to hear his mom has it up at her home!! :)

5 | Judy

May 1st, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Thanks for the tip Andrea! We may have to head down there on Monday when I am off to check out the flowers and see if we can get our little man smiling (not hard… he loves the camera!)

6 | Porter

May 1st, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Awwww cutie patutie pics, love them! sigh. I miss Dows Lake…look at those daffs!

7 | jennP

May 1st, 2009 at 3:55 pm

that’s EXACTLY where i am planning on heading this weekend!! :) i couldn’t wait for this season!

8 | BeachMama

May 1st, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Great pictures Andrea! All the green is perfect this time of year.

9 | Rebecca

May 1st, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Hooray! Tulip fest

We’re going to go one day during the week – can’t wait to enjoy it

10 | DaniGirl

May 2nd, 2009 at 12:49 pm

There are more beautiful daff beds on Colonel By near the footbridge across the Canal, and just after you cross into Quebec on the Island Park bridge. (Is that the Champlain one? I always get their names mixed up!)

Hooray for daffodils!!

11 | The Ultimate Ottawa bucket list! >> a peek inside the fishbowl

April 25th, 2012 at 7:16 am

[...] and take a photo of a loved one among the daffodils and [...]

NAC Ottawa culture days

Fall fun at Saunders Farm!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

OMS Ottawa Montessori schools

terra20 Ottawa

Bugs at the Canadian Museum of Nature Ottawa

• Tricia: Oooh, I love this stuff!
  • Caroline: Zaatar pita chips crumbled instead of croutons. I just had the chips with homemade hummus and tabbouleh for lunch. Yum!
  • Brenda A: Have you been to Al Noor Bakery across from the movie theatre on Carling? You will LOVE it if you like zaatar. So many tasty breads there and a supe
  • mubuku-hashamen.com: What's up, just wanted to say, I liked this article. It was funny. Keep on posting!
  • Kathy: I have had the PC credit card for a few months..Seemed to be working well, was enjoying getting the most points I could. But then I started to notice
  • capitaljunk: Great! Will have to try this on a lazy day :)
  • Lynn: Really enjoyed that smartphone article. I worry about online literacy all the time - how will I teach my kids when I barely know the rules myself? It'

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (16) and Sarah (14). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

... check out past nightstand reads right here.