01 May, 2009

I have a great spot for your next family photo

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Easy ways to make kids happy|Photography

… is at Dow’s Lake, RIGHT NOW.

There are a couple of gorgeous patches of naturalized daffodils growing right in the grass near Carling Avenue. If you wait too long you’ll miss them.

Daffodills at Dow's Lake

Daffodills at Dow's Lake

Daffodills at Dow's Lake

Daffodills at Dow's Lake

p.s. I have another Giveaway coming up today or tomorrow. I’m just finalizing the details! In the meantime, if you’re in Ottawa, don’t forget to enter the draw for four free tickets to see the opening night show of The Changeling at the NAC.

Tags: ,

Print this post Print this post

11 Responses to "I have a great spot for your next family photo"

1 | The Veg Next Door

May 1st, 2009 at 10:15 am

Years ago you took a picture of Hubby among flowers. It sounds feminine but it wasn’t. We love that picture. His mom has it hanging at her house. Great shot!

2 | Loukia

May 1st, 2009 at 11:05 am

Gorgeous pictures! I think we’ll be heading over to Dow’s Lake this weekend too. And I’ll try to capture some great pics, as well. As hard as it is to get both my boys smiling at the same time for the camera! ;)

Maybe I should focus more on candid shots?

May 1st, 2009 at 11:53 am

It is hard to get two kids looking/smiling/posing at the same time. Candids are good. Just get them laughing and start snapping away! (Hint: go straight for the toilet humour for the biggest yuks.)

Which reminds me… I have a biggie photo-related post in the works. I hope to finish it up soon!

May 1st, 2009 at 11:56 am

Veg: I remember that pic well. Thanks for reminding me. I’m tickled to hear his mom has it up at her home!! :)

5 | Judy

May 1st, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Thanks for the tip Andrea! We may have to head down there on Monday when I am off to check out the flowers and see if we can get our little man smiling (not hard… he loves the camera!)

6 | Porter

May 1st, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Awwww cutie patutie pics, love them! sigh. I miss Dows Lake…look at those daffs!

7 | jennP

May 1st, 2009 at 3:55 pm

that’s EXACTLY where i am planning on heading this weekend!! :) i couldn’t wait for this season!

8 | BeachMama

May 1st, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Great pictures Andrea! All the green is perfect this time of year.

9 | Rebecca

May 1st, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Hooray! Tulip fest

We’re going to go one day during the week – can’t wait to enjoy it

10 | DaniGirl

May 2nd, 2009 at 12:49 pm

There are more beautiful daff beds on Colonel By near the footbridge across the Canal, and just after you cross into Quebec on the Island Park bridge. (Is that the Champlain one? I always get their names mixed up!)

Hooray for daffodils!!

11 | The Ultimate Ottawa bucket list! >> a peek inside the fishbowl

April 25th, 2012 at 7:16 am

[...] and take a photo of a loved one among the daffodils and [...]

NAC Ottawa family events

Saunders Farm annual passes for family fun!

Animal Inside Out BodyWorlds, Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

bucketlist

• Judy: Go to a good bike shop to talk about what you want a bike for, how you will use it long term and see what they suggest. There are lots of options
  • Kerry Gogush Cule: I highly recommend getting your bike fitted properly. If you are interested, I can give you the name of the lady that my husband used. It was covered
  • HollyStar: I have a few bags of clothes in my van to drop off to Youville - just waiting to get to the east end. Amazing organization with incredible people. Can
  • Meg: I rode 100km on an antique norco step-through 5 speed ladies bike - in one day. It was totally fine. I didn't train, I just rode my bike because it wa
  • Sarah: It's garage sale season. You can maybe get cheap panniers at one of those. We did. What about renting or borrowing a bike for your trek to Carleton Pl
  • Misty Pratt: (also, some great twitter bike community by using hashtag #Ottbike. Lots of people answered my question when I asked what bike I should get for my 25k
  • Misty Pratt: Ya, I would think 100K would be uncomfortable on the upright bike :) For longer distances people usually recommend a road bike with drop handles. That

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• So I was feeling a bit ranty and wrote this post about raising children in an age of zero privacy in the hopes it will start some conversations! Please leave your two cents right here.

- #
  • My latest post on the MediaSmarts website is up, and it's about family social media accounts. (Yes! It's a thing! And I think it's pretty neat.) Is this something you do as a family? I'd love it if you left your two cents on the topic.

- #
  • I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

On this date in the archives