01 May, 2009

I have a great spot for your next family photo

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Easy ways to make kids happy|Photography

… is at Dow’s Lake, RIGHT NOW.

There are a couple of gorgeous patches of naturalized daffodils growing right in the grass near Carling Avenue. If you wait too long you’ll miss them.

Daffodills at Dow's Lake

Daffodills at Dow's Lake

Daffodills at Dow's Lake

Daffodills at Dow's Lake

p.s. I have another Giveaway coming up today or tomorrow. I’m just finalizing the details! In the meantime, if you’re in Ottawa, don’t forget to enter the draw for four free tickets to see the opening night show of The Changeling at the NAC.

Tags: ,

Print this post Print this post

11 Responses to "I have a great spot for your next family photo"

1 | The Veg Next Door

May 1st, 2009 at 10:15 am

Years ago you took a picture of Hubby among flowers. It sounds feminine but it wasn’t. We love that picture. His mom has it hanging at her house. Great shot!

2 | Loukia

May 1st, 2009 at 11:05 am

Gorgeous pictures! I think we’ll be heading over to Dow’s Lake this weekend too. And I’ll try to capture some great pics, as well. As hard as it is to get both my boys smiling at the same time for the camera! ;)

Maybe I should focus more on candid shots?

May 1st, 2009 at 11:53 am

It is hard to get two kids looking/smiling/posing at the same time. Candids are good. Just get them laughing and start snapping away! (Hint: go straight for the toilet humour for the biggest yuks.)

Which reminds me… I have a biggie photo-related post in the works. I hope to finish it up soon!

May 1st, 2009 at 11:56 am

Veg: I remember that pic well. Thanks for reminding me. I’m tickled to hear his mom has it up at her home!! :)

5 | Judy

May 1st, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Thanks for the tip Andrea! We may have to head down there on Monday when I am off to check out the flowers and see if we can get our little man smiling (not hard… he loves the camera!)

6 | Porter

May 1st, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Awwww cutie patutie pics, love them! sigh. I miss Dows Lake…look at those daffs!

7 | jennP

May 1st, 2009 at 3:55 pm

that’s EXACTLY where i am planning on heading this weekend!! :) i couldn’t wait for this season!

8 | BeachMama

May 1st, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Great pictures Andrea! All the green is perfect this time of year.

9 | Rebecca

May 1st, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Hooray! Tulip fest

We’re going to go one day during the week – can’t wait to enjoy it

10 | DaniGirl

May 2nd, 2009 at 12:49 pm

There are more beautiful daff beds on Colonel By near the footbridge across the Canal, and just after you cross into Quebec on the Island Park bridge. (Is that the Champlain one? I always get their names mixed up!)

Hooray for daffodils!!

11 | The Ultimate Ottawa bucket list! >> a peek inside the fishbowl

April 25th, 2012 at 7:16 am

[...] and take a photo of a loved one among the daffodils and [...]

NAC Ottawa family events

Summertime fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

bucketlist

etc.

• Misty Pratt: Except for the fact that someone has to do those minimum wage jobs, and it's usually new immigrants and low-income people with families to feed. So th
  • Natalie: My two cents. We have tried Supperworks, in fact we were regulars until recently. We were never disappointed. Their entrées for four fed our family o
  • Javamom: I guess one of the things we find hard to accept sometimes is that occasionally, time is more valuable than money. I get it, although I have not tried
  • future landfill: And yet, and yet. I've had a few decades of street photography, snapping pics of people and events in public places, cafes, pubs. Sometimes obviously
  • Colleen: It does sound fun, but a bit steep for my family.
  • andrea: We have winners! Dinner #1 on July 24 was won by nathalie d. Dinner #2 on August 21 was won by Madga. Congratulations! Thank you Saunders Farm
  • TD: This is something I have been considering, so a group outing would be great.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 752 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #
  • I'm over at the MediaSmarts blog today, putting together the online privacy puzzle.

- #
  • I had a really interesting conversation with my 14-year-old daughter recently. She was wondering why so many adults assume that teenagers are all the same: a bunch of lazy, self-involved jokers who are glued to their devices all day. I didn’t have an answer for her, really, only that people tend to generalize, and that this is Never a Good Thing, no matter who it is we’re talking about. [Read the rest at MediaSmarts.ca]

- #

A year before

• 2013-07-25 No articles on this date.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: