21 Nov, 2010
Edible Christmas gifts to make and to give
Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food
I’ve been feeling Christmassy these past couple weeks. Perhaps I’m infected by 25 Days of Christmas? It’s funny how it makes the holiday season seem longer than it is (in a good way!). Stretching it out this way is good for me.
Today I’m thinking ahead about edible things we can make as gifts. Foodie-type items can make a wonderful gift for someone; moms, dads, the in-laws, the school bus driver, and other people who are hard to shop for. :) But here’s the dilemma: what can I make that people will actually eat … and enjoy?
I’m trying to plan out some non-perishable thank you and hostessy-type gifts; for teachers, friends, neighbours etc. I can bake cookies – that’s a given – but if I’m honest with myself I know that it’s not something I really enjoy doing. Hmm. But I do like the idea of cooking up yummy little things to give away, so what can I make instead of cookies at Christmas?
This year I’m seriously considering making my own Almond Honey Nougat. It actually doesn’t look too hard. Check out this recipe.
Other things worth considering:
- Chocolate-covered stirring spoons. Directions here. (I like their suggestion of using thrift-store spoons instead of plastic ones!)
- Spicy-sweet candied nuts (here’s my DIY recipe – I swear to god everyone I give this to LOVES IT. I’ve been giving the nuts with little bowls to keep. Chinatown is a great source for pretty bowls in case you’re looking.)
- Homemade Nuts and Bolts (the edible kind) – a past post about it is here. The recipe I linked to in that posts makes a HUGE quantity of Nuts & Bolts (we call them Bits n’ Bites). It makes enough for you and all of your neighbours, but it freezes well, so no worries there.
- Chocolate bark – I think this is one of the easiest things to make around the holidays, and it’s guaranteed to be a winner. And look at all the variations – almond bark, pretzel bark, candy cane bark, white bark, dark bark, crispy bark, peanut butter bark. Oy! Pick your fave and make a giant batch. The bulk store is a great place to pick up the ingredients for candy barks.
- These chocolate-hazelnut truffles don’t exactly fit into the non-perishable category, but they sound amazing. They’d make a great treat to bring along to a dinner party or holiday potluck. Yum.
- Oooo – here’s a good one – Candy-Cane Marshmallows from Ms. Martha.
But tell me, what are your favourite edible gifts to receive?