25 Sep, 2010

Egginabowl

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

This might sound cheap or declassé, but after I’ve beaten an egg and used it for an egg wash (say, for a bread or pretzel recipe) it pains me to flush the remainder down the sink. So I eat it. I throw it in the microwave for about a minute, sprinkle some salt on it, and eat it with a fork, just like civilized people would.

(After all, a pre-dinner boost of protein is a good thing, right? It prevents me from biting someone’s head off during A Very Trying Time.)

I did this again the other day. Sarah saw what I did, and asked what I was doing. So I told her about my short cut egg. This was, in fact, the way I used to make egg sandwiches in my university days. It takes exactly two minutes and makes a very cheap meal.

1. 1. Break egg in dish, add splash of milk if available (I couldn’t often afford milk so I didn’t always have it on hand.)
  2. 2. Beat it around with fork.
  3. 3. Pop into the microwave and nuke until cooked all the way through (this part takes about a minute).
  4. 4. Slide onto toasted bread. Top with slice of cheese (if available) and/or second slice of bread (if available).

I had a perfect shallow bowl I used just for this purpose. It was one I had, um, borrowed from the university cafeteria and never returned. If I nuked the egg in this dish it ended up round once it was cooked and fit perfectly on a piece of sliced bread.

Sarah was admiring my egginabowl so I gave it to her. She liked it, and declared it to be the best scrambled egg she’d ever eaten (?). What’s more, she made one for herself this morning. Had I known she would have liked it I would have made it two years ago. Or more. Kids are so funny that way, aren’t they?

9 Responses to "Egginabowl"

1 | allison

September 25th, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Cheap? Déclassé? Who would want to throw an egg down the sink? That’s the only way I MAKE scrambled eggs (which my daughter loves, but only with melted cheese). And I have um, borrowed stuff but university commons too. :)

2 | allison

September 25th, 2010 at 6:30 pm

From. Love screwing up my first comment. It’s awesome.

3 | Juliette

September 25th, 2010 at 9:26 pm

This is great! I always hate throwing it down the sink too. Today I tried this, and it really is yummy!

4 | susie ;)

September 26th, 2010 at 7:29 am

hey,

You know the breakfast bagel at Kettleman’s? Similar to your ‘easy egg’, that was my idea in university (I worked there for a few years), they cut me a $100 cheque for being so clever, and thousands of Ottawans have enjoyed it ever since… easy-peasy!

susie ;)

5 | Dave

September 26th, 2010 at 7:29 am

Microwaved eggs always remind me of my dad. It was his standard lunch when Mum was away. He used the flat lid of a glass casserole dish for his eggbowl. I always liked watching the egg floof up to 4 or 5 times its normal height.

September 26th, 2010 at 8:02 am

susie – You only got $100!!!! :)

Dave – Watching the egg floof up is a bonus.

7 | meanie

September 27th, 2010 at 12:03 pm

this is crazy tuesdays standard meal (track, sparks).

love it. sometimes i sneak in pureed cauliflower just to be mean.

8 | Mary @ Parenthood

September 30th, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Microwave eggs remind me of my dad too. He would always make them for April Fool’s Day, dyed bright green. For years we kids were convinced that microwaving an egg turned it green.

9 | A potential pea soup disaster and a bit about sugar and flour-free snacks >> a peek inside the fishbowl

January 6th, 2011 at 12:51 pm

[…] morning I scrambled an egg in a bowl, microwaved it for just over a minute (remember this post?) and then sprinkled some grated cheddar cheese on top. It was so good. Sarah had one […]