19 Nov, 2013

Do you wish, for a dish, of fish?

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

We’ve become enthusiastic fans of fish here at Casa Fishbowl. I’ve been slowly trying new recipes to see which ones everyone will eat, mostly because fish is healthy and I would like to get away from eating so much meat.

I have a few recipes in rotation at this point. Here’s a really good one for Dijon Pan-Fried Tilapia. The family also liked these Thai Salmon Sliders (I need to make those again!). Our fishy default lately however has been (a) quickly breaded fish a.k.a. the homemade fish sticks** and (b)  fish cakes. I like making fish cakes because you can make with pretty much any white fish. I grab whatever is on sale and stick it in the freezer until I need it. I do need to be better at remembering to take it out of the freezer the night before. This recipe comes with a sauce that makes me salivate just thinking about it.

** The secret of great breaded fish is to use PANKO, a type of fluffy breadcrumb that will make your breaded fish taste lighter and crispier. Look for it in among Asian foods in your grocery store. Get some. Pronto. You won’t regret it.

Do you have any good fishy recipes to share? I’d love to hear ’em if you do!

9 Responses to "Do you wish, for a dish, of fish?"

1 | Chantal

November 19th, 2013 at 10:23 am

we do something similar to your Dijon tiapia but with Rainbow trout. 2 part mayo, 1 part dijon, a few shakes of pepper, mixed and slathered over the rainbow trout filets. Broil to cook and voila, delish dinner and my kids LOVE it.

2 | kev

November 19th, 2013 at 11:03 am

One of my faves. Simple, quick, and a long, long way from the way we used to celebrate Taco Tuesday.

3 | Cath

November 19th, 2013 at 11:44 am

We are sadly off fish after my daughter was recently diagnosed with an allergy. But I used to often make salmon in a marinade of equal parts Dijon mustard and maple syrup – delicious! I also liked making tilapia topped with a mix of yogurt, lime juice and parmesan – yum!

4 | Brenda A

November 19th, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Just picked up a huge Costco pack of fish and I was going to look for inspiration. You have provided it!

5 | Melanie

November 19th, 2013 at 3:14 pm

My go-to salmon recipe is honey mustard topped with pecans and Panko. So good. (http://www.myottawalife.com/2012/11/baked-honey-mustard-salmon-mmmm/)

Also love this broiled tilapia: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/broiled-tilapia-parmesan/ and usually add crumbs to it as well. Mmmm mmm.

6 | Amy

November 19th, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I like to bake any kind of white fish over chopped veggies (tomatoes, onions, fennel, zucchini are all good) with a drizzle of oil, lemon juice, and a couple chopped cloves of garlic. You can add any kind of herbs or spices too. I usually serve it with rice, but roasted mini potatoes would be easy to toss in the oven too while the fish bakes.

7 | Mimi Golding

November 19th, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Very simple – white fish of your choice, dab with butter and sour cream or plain yoghurt. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes or so.

8 | Amy

November 19th, 2013 at 10:40 pm

We have done all kinds of different fish the same way – pack it in tinfoil with butter and lemon and bake it. It’s awesome. We do salmon mostly, but Joe has also done it with halibut. Very simple, very tasty.

9 | Mary @ Parenthood

November 23rd, 2013 at 3:05 pm

We often do lemon juice, olive oil and herbs on fish baked in tinfoil (rainbow trout is my favourite). Or a white fish eg haddock dipped in milk and breadcrumbs and fried. Or sushi (hand roll style).

Recently we tried pickerel http://m.canadianliving.com/#!/blog-food/pickerel-with-lemon-mushroom-sauce/258da4cd1a8b8a08ab31b92a8255ed8c I really loved it, though my four year old thought it was just “ok” (she normally eats as much fish as hubby and I combined)

• measured survey: If you are going for finest contnts like me, just go to see this web site everyday since it gives feature contents, thanks
  • Bridget: LOVED this post & so glad you enjoyed the dress! (-:
  • judi: can i use instant yeast
  • jjudge437@comcast.net: can i use instant yeast
  • andrea tomkins: Hi Judy! The oven should be at 450 and you don't cook the dough before the toppings. You put the rolled dough on your pizza stone or baking sheet, add
  • Judy: What temperature for oven for pizza dough, can I cook dough before the toppings
  • Judy: What temperature for oven for pizza dough. Should I cook dough before adding toppings or not

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.