04 May, 2014

Tostadas! They’re better than tacos!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

I had a bit of a culinary epiphany at the grocery store the other day. I was picking up some salsa when I spied a package of tostadas. For your reference, it looked like this:

Tostadas for the win!

They also came in jalapeno flavour (!) but I had to leave those behind. Tostadas are fried corn tortillas… essentially flat tacos which measure about 5″ across. They are crispy, salty goodness, basically, everything you’d want out of a taco but (a) it’s flat and (b) you don’t actually have to heat up the oven. This is key, and I suspect this will come in VERY handy in the summertime and for quick weekday meals.

For the dinner in question I browned some ground chicken (adding salsa near the end to spice it up), grated some old cheddar, and chopped up a bunch of other toppings such as tomato, red pepper, and lettuce (and of course extra salsa, sour cream, and hot peppers). The toppings were put out in bowls and everyone served themselves, topping their own tostadas like they were small crunchy pizzas. Success!

Leftovers made a lovely lunch for me the next day too, although I had to restrain myself from eating too many as chips. :)

May 1 #dailylunches - NEW OBSESSION

Sadly I was missing avocado and coriander, which would have made this absolutely heavenly.

I’ve bookmarked a few tostada recipes for future consideration. (I can barely read these without my mouth watering.)

Have you bought tostadas before? If so, what do you top them with?

Print this post Print this post

7 Responses to "Tostadas! They’re better than tacos!"

1 | Brenda A

May 4th, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I have never bought them or seen them in store. Sounds versatile!

2 | Pam

May 5th, 2014 at 8:54 am

Oh Andrea. Are they not good? (The jalapeño ones are good too!) I like them waaay too much and have been practicing restraint. : D

3 | andrea tomkins

May 5th, 2014 at 10:51 am

Pam: I’m dying to try the jalapeño ones! I just have to wait for a day when the kids won’t be home. :)

4 | andrea tomkins

May 5th, 2014 at 10:53 am

Brenda: VERY! There’s an endless combination of toppings when you think about it. And I like that they’re easy for the kids to prepare too. My eldest made an afternoon snack of them the other day: topped with salsa, grated cheese, and some red pepper. (Yay!)

5 | Carla

May 5th, 2014 at 10:58 am

Try some traditional tostadas some Central America:

- Guatemala:
— spread some mashed avocado, top with powdered white cheese (uncured), thinly sliced onion and chopped parsley or cilantro
– spread some marinara sauce, same toppings
– blended black beans, same toppings
also
- enchilada: brined red cabbage and beet, then cooked ground beef, then a slice of boiled egg, marinara sauce, cheese

Honduras:
- enchilada: spread some cooked ground beef, cooked with small cubed potatoes and carrots, top with shredded cabbage with lime juice, some marinara sauce, powdered cheese

yum!

6 | andrea tomkins

May 5th, 2014 at 11:31 am

Ooh! Great suggestions Carla. Thanks!

7 | Javamom

May 7th, 2014 at 9:18 am

Oh yum. I had them plain with salsa and cheese and couldn’t stop eating them. For dinner I planned on using chicken but DH ate it for lunch so I served the salsa version to the kids and my son had 7 of them! :) lol

NAC Ottawa family events

Saunders Farm annual passes for family fun!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

OMS Ottawa Montessori schools

Sara McConnell photography Ottawa

Rethink Tires - Community Renewal Fund

bucketlist

Veggie challenge button

• Ginger: I am going to try this out!
  • Margaret Whitley: As a long time Montessori Educator, student, parent, and supporter, I am pleased to see your profile of OMS. They are a fine example of what Montesso
  • Michael Milsom: Way to push yourself out of the box to explore another dimension..taking us all along for the ride :-) 21 days ..is a LOT of days to commit to doing
  • My 21-day vegetarian challenge is done! >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] and sweet potato tacos (sort of based on this recipe), beer, tortilla chips and salsa* - snacks: DIY mango soft serve, coffee with milk, a
  • 21-day vegetarian challenge – it’s done! >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] alfredo with kale and green onion - vegan black bean and sweet potato tacos (sort of based on this recipe), beer, tortilla chips and salsa*
  • Dee: If you do this again, you can get veggie sausages for your breakfast. Give me a heads up and I'll get them for you - my pusher lives in MTL :)
  • Molly: Thanks for sharing the recipe! A is a big fan of Naked Fish and was equally disappointed to find out it was closed for renos the other day - I think

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• Two articles of mine were published in the summer issue of Ottawa Magazine. One is a Q&A with a dermatologist about summertime skin care (YES, those are my superwhite legs in the photo) and the other is a blogger face-off about bikinis.

- #
  • So I was feeling a bit ranty and wrote this post about raising children in an age of zero privacy in the hopes it will start some conversations! Please leave your two cents right here.

- #
  • My latest post on the MediaSmarts website is up, and it's about family social media accounts. (Yes! It's a thing! And I think it's pretty neat.) Is this something you do as a family? I'd love it if you left your two cents on the topic.

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

On this date in the archives