04 May, 2014

Tostadas! They’re better than tacos!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

I had a bit of a culinary epiphany at the grocery store the other day. I was picking up some salsa when I spied a package of tostadas. For your reference, it looked like this:

Tostadas for the win!

They also came in jalapeno flavour (!) but I had to leave those behind. Tostadas are fried corn tortillas… essentially flat tacos which measure about 5″ across. They are crispy, salty goodness, basically, everything you’d want out of a taco but (a) it’s flat and (b) you don’t actually have to heat up the oven. This is key, and I suspect this will come in VERY handy in the summertime and for quick weekday meals.

For the dinner in question I browned some ground chicken (adding salsa near the end to spice it up), grated some old cheddar, and chopped up a bunch of other toppings such as tomato, red pepper, and lettuce (and of course extra salsa, sour cream, and hot peppers). The toppings were put out in bowls and everyone served themselves, topping their own tostadas like they were small crunchy pizzas. Success!

Leftovers made a lovely lunch for me the next day too, although I had to restrain myself from eating too many as chips. :)

May 1 #dailylunches - NEW OBSESSION

Sadly I was missing avocado and coriander, which would have made this absolutely heavenly.

I’ve bookmarked a few tostada recipes for future consideration. (I can barely read these without my mouth watering.)

Have you bought tostadas before? If so, what do you top them with?

Print this post Print this post

7 Responses to "Tostadas! They’re better than tacos!"

1 | Brenda A

May 4th, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I have never bought them or seen them in store. Sounds versatile!

2 | Pam

May 5th, 2014 at 8:54 am

Oh Andrea. Are they not good? (The jalapeño ones are good too!) I like them waaay too much and have been practicing restraint. : D

3 | andrea tomkins

May 5th, 2014 at 10:51 am

Pam: I’m dying to try the jalapeño ones! I just have to wait for a day when the kids won’t be home. :)

4 | andrea tomkins

May 5th, 2014 at 10:53 am

Brenda: VERY! There’s an endless combination of toppings when you think about it. And I like that they’re easy for the kids to prepare too. My eldest made an afternoon snack of them the other day: topped with salsa, grated cheese, and some red pepper. (Yay!)

5 | Carla

May 5th, 2014 at 10:58 am

Try some traditional tostadas some Central America:

- Guatemala:
— spread some mashed avocado, top with powdered white cheese (uncured), thinly sliced onion and chopped parsley or cilantro
– spread some marinara sauce, same toppings
– blended black beans, same toppings
also
- enchilada: brined red cabbage and beet, then cooked ground beef, then a slice of boiled egg, marinara sauce, cheese

Honduras:
- enchilada: spread some cooked ground beef, cooked with small cubed potatoes and carrots, top with shredded cabbage with lime juice, some marinara sauce, powdered cheese

yum!

6 | andrea tomkins

May 5th, 2014 at 11:31 am

Ooh! Great suggestions Carla. Thanks!

7 | Javamom

May 7th, 2014 at 9:18 am

Oh yum. I had them plain with salsa and cheese and couldn’t stop eating them. For dinner I planned on using chicken but DH ate it for lunch so I served the salsa version to the kids and my son had 7 of them! :) lol

NAC Ottawa family events

Summertime fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

bucketlist

etc.

• Misty Pratt: Except for the fact that someone has to do those minimum wage jobs, and it's usually new immigrants and low-income people with families to feed. So th
  • Natalie: My two cents. We have tried Supperworks, in fact we were regulars until recently. We were never disappointed. Their entrées for four fed our family o
  • Javamom: I guess one of the things we find hard to accept sometimes is that occasionally, time is more valuable than money. I get it, although I have not tried
  • future landfill: And yet, and yet. I've had a few decades of street photography, snapping pics of people and events in public places, cafes, pubs. Sometimes obviously
  • Colleen: It does sound fun, but a bit steep for my family.
  • andrea: We have winners! Dinner #1 on July 24 was won by nathalie d. Dinner #2 on August 21 was won by Madga. Congratulations! Thank you Saunders Farm
  • TD: This is something I have been considering, so a group outing would be great.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 752 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #
  • I'm over at the MediaSmarts blog today, putting together the online privacy puzzle.

- #
  • I had a really interesting conversation with my 14-year-old daughter recently. She was wondering why so many adults assume that teenagers are all the same: a bunch of lazy, self-involved jokers who are glued to their devices all day. I didn’t have an answer for her, really, only that people tend to generalize, and that this is Never a Good Thing, no matter who it is we’re talking about. [Read the rest at MediaSmarts.ca]

- #

A year before

• 2013-07-26 No articles on this date.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: