03 Oct, 2009

Hourly Photo project recap

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Memes/blog awards etc|Photography

Thank you to everyone who participated in the Hourly Photo project. I think this was an interesting project on so many levels. The day went by so quickly for me, especially with my alarm going off every hour. It surprised me almost every time, and I’d think “another hour went by ALREADY?” Egads. I’M HURTLING TOWARDS MY GRAVE, ONE HOUR AT A TIME.

Anyway, it was a real treat to watch all of your days unfold, no matter where you were or what you happened to be doing. To watch everyone’s story get written one photo, one hour at a time was really amazing. Thank you for that.

It also reminded me that although my life feels mundane at times it really isn’t. I have the freedom to walk to the store and pick up a magazine, go to the gym, eat lunch with my husband, pick up my children from school, and make pizza from scratch. (Although I admit, I got ZERO work done! Ha.)

Here’s a final list of participants and (if available) links to their photos. If I missed you please let me know where you posted your photos and I’ll add you to the list. (Remember, these are all from Friday October 2, 2009 only!):

Many of these were uploaded to the Flickr group, so you are able look at a bunch of them in one go.

Isn’t it neat to get this kind of glimpse into other people’s lives? Did you look through the photos? What were your favourites?

Some of you complained that your shots were boring. Yes, part of what we do during the day is mundane but the challenge – at least for me – was to find the beauty in the details no matter where I was.

I also found it challenging to shoot with my iPhone, which gives me no control over anything but composition.

Thanks again to everyone who played along! I hope you had just as much fun as I did!

Print this post Print this post

10 Responses to "Hourly Photo project recap"

1 | Ginger

October 3rd, 2009 at 8:27 am

Andrea this was so much fun! I took so many more pictures than just the ones for the hour. I had been slacking in the picture department, although I kept meaning to get the camera so many times. The boys are changing so fast and I captured so many wonderful moments yesterday that I didn’t post. I loved seeing all of the different lives and moments of so many people. It is easy to forget that as I live my life here in Texas other people are living their lives somewhere else. It was fun to catch a glimpse of some of those other people. Thanks you to and everyone that participated!

2 | Lynn

October 3rd, 2009 at 8:38 am

I had a great time! I’d definitely do this again. I am loving seeing all the other photos the other participants made — I prefer looking at them as a set, to see someone’s day as a whole. I feel like kind of a voyeur.

I felt the need to give an explanation of each of my photos but I prefer the blog posts where people just put the photos with no labels. I think I’ll try that next time.

BTW, the link to rikrak’s photos is off.

October 3rd, 2009 at 8:53 am

Ooops. Fixed it!

I toyed with the idea of explaining everything. I did add a line here and there on the photos Flickr page, but not for all of them and not on the actual blog page.

It’s a different effect when you look at them without explanations, isn’t it?

4 | Sharon

October 3rd, 2009 at 9:47 am

I too had a great time and just finished uploading the last of my day onto my Blog and Flicker. I thought about explaining each shot, but decided that it was better to let the photo’s speak for themselves. I tend to talk over explain things. I didn’t do the photo’s at the top of the hour but my camera went with me everywhere yesterday. Even it is was a short walk to get some air in my body. AND What luck DID I have with a birthday party and seeing my newest 2 day old nephew! HE HE!

Andrea, thank you for this, I haven’t shot just for fun in quite awhile and you forced me outside to do some of that. I go some amazing shots that are not up but it’s hard to pick and post everything.

Good Job Everyone. LOVED IT.
Sharon

5 | bunnyhero

October 3rd, 2009 at 1:28 pm

this was so much fun! i wish my day had been more active (i wasn’t feeling entirely well yesterday), but you’re right, it just made for more of a challenge :)

and, like you, it made me all too aware of how short an hour is! life just flies by.

it’s funny– when i woke up this morning i automatically reached for my iphone to take a picture, when i remembered that the day was over. within a day it had already become a habit!

6 | Life is Good…At the Beach » The Hourly Photo Project

October 3rd, 2009 at 1:44 pm

[...] I participated in Andrea’s hourly photo project.  The object was to take one photo every hour, the flickr group is called, “My Day, One Hour [...]

7 | Blake

October 3rd, 2009 at 1:45 pm

What a fun project. Who knew this group of talented photogs also included so many gourmands? So many adorable kids? So many early risers? (Seriously, 5am?! Didn’t know there WAS such a time…and I have two wee ones at home).

Thanks for organizing this, @missfish. Looking forward to another challenge…

8 | BeachMama

October 3rd, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Thank you Andrea! I did document mine on my blog, just because I wanted to. I had a great time, the timer going off on my phone was a bit of a pain but, I didn’t want to forget. In the end, because of my photo shoots I ended up taking way more photos that I would on a normal Friday, but it was different to document the day. Makes me realize I need to add some punch into my days.

9 | Soire

October 4th, 2009 at 12:08 am

I just got around to editing my post today to reflect all the hours – it was a lot of fun, even if much like you I couldn’t believe how short some hours seemed!

10 | Geri

October 4th, 2009 at 5:36 pm

It was fun! Wonderful to behold the unique yet common fibers of humanity.

Truly lovely.

Thank you!

NAC Ottawa events

Christmas ideas from Saunders Farm!

Frogs - a Chorus of Colours - at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Funhaven - Ottawa's destination for birthday parties and fun

terra20 Ottawa celebrates Earth Month

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

IMAX 3D - Journey to the South Pacific

bucketlist

etc.

• andrea tomkins: I don't this has ever happened before... but the winner according to random.org is commenter #87 - Nicola - the VERY last person to enter. :) Congr
  • andrea tomkins: Comments are officially closed to new entries! Stay tuned for the winner!
  • Nicola: For my second entry: I'd love some extra metal lunch containers, as I'm trying to phase out the plastics wherever possible...
  • Nicola: I turn the furnace down a lot when we are out and at night, and have been explaining the "lights off as you leave the room" thing to my son. I am als
  • Barb Sohn: We have a rain barrel in the front yard, two composters in the back yard. Our gargage is down to one small bag every week. We buy shampoos, cleaners
  • Deb: I coordinate the recycling program at my school with a team of students including black box, blue box and compost. We are having litterless lunches fo
  • Life of K: I LOVE the whole family of Boston Warehouse items like this cheese grater: http://shop.terra20.com/store/product/11035/BostonW-Cheese-Grater-Nutcrker/

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (14) and Sarah (12). I am the Editor of the Kitchissippi Times as well as Capital Parent Newspaper. I'm also a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999 (which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which). The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 655 and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:
Created with flickr badge.
Click the photo for details: what it is, where I ate it (if it's worth a mention!), and how to cook it (if there happens to be a recipe). You can also read more about this project right here.

Sideblog

A year before

• 2013-04-17 No articles on this date.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too:

Follow the Fishbowl’s companion page on Facebook

Let's stick a pin in that

Miz Mooz Women's Car