17 Apr, 2010

Recipe for making your own frothy Orange Julius drink

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Recipes and Food

We have the good fortune (or misfortune?) of living within walking distance of a Dairy Queen. Lately their ice cream frozen desserts haven’t been turning me on. And their portion sizes are way too big. Have you ever tried to order a small cone for your little kid?

Anyway, our local DQ has an Orange Julius neatly installed within it. So the last time we were there I decided to order a Orange Julius – THE classic treat of my childhood years.

I don’t know what happened between then and now but it didn’t taste the way I remembered it. Didn’t these things used to be sweet and frothy, not watery and tinny? Was the Flavour Enhancer** doing something weird to my taste buds?

Anyway, I digress. I like fruit smoothies AND I like frothy orange beverages. They remind me of the cool sweetness of Creamsicles (another fave), so I poked around the interwebs for a recipe so we could make our own on the cheap.

Best part: I control the sugar and I know exactly what’s going into it.

You’ll need:

• 1 c. whole milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 can frozen orange juice concentrate (I like unsweetened and pulpy oj.)
  • sugar (I ran out of sugar (!) and used three Splenda packets instead. If you have sugar, just sweeten to taste. Try 1/3 cup and see what happens. )
  • one egg white
  • 5 or 6 ice cubes

Shake it babyPut everything (except for the ice cubes) in a blender. Blend for a few minutes. Add ice cubes until they’re totally crushed. Pour and serve.

The recipe above makes about four normal-sized servings.

For added nutritional punch you can toss in a banana or two. If you happen to have a frozen banana (remember the ice-cream that isn’t really ice cream??) on hand you can omit the ice cubes.

Enjoy!

** Secret Orange Julius flavour enhancer: “A dairy-based flavor enhancer blended for taste and texture. Ingredients include dairy and egg products, specifically whole milk powder and egg white solids. Contains: Milk and egg.”

I say ew. What else do they put in there besides the milk and egg? I propose that we take control of our treats and not overpay for extra junk we don’t want. What say you?

Let me know if you try this one out!

25 Responses to "Recipe for making your own frothy Orange Julius drink"

1 | Chantal

April 17th, 2010 at 7:18 am

I will totally try this soon. I loved Julius drinks (and their hot dogs). I used to work at a mall in the days before big food courts and my regular Saturday shift meal was a Julius dog and Orange Julius drink!

2 | Hellcat13

April 17th, 2010 at 8:38 am

I agree about the serving sizes. A small Blizzard is twice as much ice cream as I need, and even the sandwiches are so big I can barely get my mouth around them. It makes it hard to go out for the occasional treat when the servings sizes are so big (I know I could just eat half, but that’s such a waste!)

April 17th, 2010 at 8:52 am

Best solution for kids: one small sundae in two cups. Or one small Blizzard and two spoons for the adults. It’s just too much otherwise. I can’t imagine what the next size up looks like.

4 | Liisa

April 17th, 2010 at 8:56 am

I’m feeling the same way about DQ lately. Whenever Derek and the kids want to go, I’m disappointed. I would much rather go to the local gelato place (which they also enjoy).

I don’t know if it’s just me, but I don’t feel well after eating DQ treats. I can eat a good size gelato and feel fine, even good :). It must be those fillers you discussed.

One point of information, the DQ has a “kiddie” size which is smaller than the small. And you don’t have to be a kid to order it.

April 17th, 2010 at 9:02 am

Liisa: I could be wrong, but I don’t think DQ mentions “kiddie” sizes on their menu boards. (Can anyone in Ottawa confirm?)

April 17th, 2010 at 9:05 am

I’ve linked to this before, but it’s worth another mention. This is how DQ soft serve is made.

7 | Rémi

April 17th, 2010 at 9:27 am

Cool! Can’t wait to try it.

8 | Stefania (Ingredients for Life)

April 17th, 2010 at 9:35 am

I totally agree about the junk and trying to make your own treats. Forget about ice cream — try this. Delish!

April 17th, 2010 at 9:48 am

Stefania – Agreed. It is delish.

10 | Scatteredmom

April 17th, 2010 at 11:08 am

Yummy! My Mom used to make this but I had forgotten about it until now. Thanks!

And Andrea, you don’t have to wait until next Friday to link up to Food Revolution Fridays. This post could easily be an entry for this week! :)

11 | Alison in Ottawa

April 17th, 2010 at 11:10 am

I get the kid cones (in Ottawa) for my girls (4 and 7) and I would love to share the small blizzard with my husband but we don’t like the same flavours (nor does he want to share). It also kills me that we bike or walk by the grocery store on the way there (where cones plus ice cream would be less than $10), but much more at DQ and no leftovers.

12 | Kate (This Mom)

April 17th, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I have often scoured the menu boards and even inquired about “kiddie sizes” at my local DQ to no avail. Of course, that doesn’t stop us from going.

Orange Julius isn’t really my thing…but if you could come up with an authentic-tasting Blizzard recipe, then I’d be on board!

Andrea, I received a Sunshine Award, which I passed on you (http://thismomloves.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-first-award.html). Not sure if you’re in to the ‘awards scene’, but it’s a compliment nonetheless!

13 | Nadine C.

April 17th, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I will absolutely try your recipe it sounds so delicious !!! Something weird has definitely happened to DQ over the last 25 years. I used to looooove dipped cones but nowadays the chocolate is very “waxy” and not at all crunchy and the ice cream kind of starchy, . Don’t get me started on the small portions: they could feed our entire family! Love the Julius Orange as well but I agree that today’s version has been watered down!

14 | Finola

April 17th, 2010 at 2:19 pm

It sounds delish!
Except I recommend leaving out the egg white. Health Canada does not recommend eating raw eggs, and yup, that includes raw cookie dough I’m afraid.

15 | Liisa

April 17th, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Not sure if it’s on the menu board, but I can confirm that we ordered 2 kiddie cones at DQ in Westboro last Friday. The cashier then offered that size to the family after us with 3 small children.

Maybe they don’t publicize?

16 | betsy mae

April 17th, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Bert makes these (or something similar) once in a while too. I should ask him what he puts in his because they do taste like the real deal. I wouldn’t be able to do the raw egg though, blech! I suppose you can’t taste it, for some reason raw egg is gross to me (yet I eat things like sushi).

As for portion sizes, have you had their peanut buster parfaits??? HUGE! I can still polish one off though ; )

April 17th, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I personally don’t have an issue with raw egg (I can’t taste it, at least I don’t think I can), but I suppose you could leave it out or use powdered egg instead. It might not get as foamy without it but it’ll stIll taste good.

18 | Allison

April 17th, 2010 at 8:07 pm

yum! now i want to make one!! will have to try this one out. the link to the article on ‘ice cream’ was an eye opener!!

19 | Kim

April 17th, 2010 at 9:29 pm

mmm… The latest issue of the Food Network magazine has a copy-cat recipe for the Orange Julius. It’s very close to yours although it does not contain egg white. We made it and it turned out frothy and delicious!

Not sure why DQ doesn’t show kiddie portions on the menu but my sources tell me you can ask at any location and they should make them. :)

20 | karen

April 17th, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I have ordered kiddie cones at DQ as well.

That also reminds me, you can get Frosty Juniors at Wendy’s but they don’t advertise it. It is a much better serving size.

I am also sad to say that I can polish of a Peanut Buster Parfait.

21 | BeachMama

April 18th, 2010 at 1:10 pm

We used to make a similar drink at Casey’s only there was alcohol in it and we would drink them way too fast ;)

22 | Chantal

April 18th, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Andrea, I wanted to ask what type of blender you have. Ours is on its last legs and I need to replace it. Thanks

April 18th, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Chantal, ours is on its last legs too. And it wasn’t a great one to start with. I’m interested in the VitaMix but can’t bring myself to spend that much on what is essentiallly a blender.

Let me know what you end up buying!

24 | Stefania (Ingredients for Life)

April 19th, 2010 at 7:45 am

Andrea, I have the Blendtec (comparable to VitaMix) and I can say it’s worth every penny. It does a lot more than just blend a drink. The consistency of your blended drinks, purees, dips and even nuts will be amazing. Of course, it all depends on your needs but there are weeks when I use mine a couple of times everyday. The motor is excellent.

25 | JD

April 19th, 2010 at 12:12 pm

You can actually just blend OJ with meringue powder-that’s pretty much what the Orange Julius is.