20 Jul, 2013

Beet tartare

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Meals under 400 calories|Ottawa|Recipes and Food

The first time I saw the phrase BEET TARTARE I mistakenly read it as BEEF TARTARE, which made me wonder why it was on the menu of a vegan restaurant.

You see, awhile back I was treated to an amazing meal at Café My House and beet tartare was one of the dishes we were served. It was so good that I have been determined to recreate it at home ever since.

I found a recipe online here that I adapted a bit in order to make one serving with ingredients I had on hand. Also, the beet tartare I had at Café My House was topped with vegan cheese (which was delightful) but I made do with goat cheese.

And I think my version turned out pretty good. Behold:

July 20 #dailylunches - Beet tartare

Funny thing about beets. Until now I wasn’t exactly sure how much I loved them. I liked them well enough, but this recipe sealed the deal for me and pushed me closer to the LOVE side. Maybe it’s the dressing? Or the nuts? Or the addition of the cheese? I don’t know what it is, but I’m thinking that this is a kind of GATEWAY RECIPE that’s needed to convert people from MAYBE to YES PLEASE. :)

Beet tartare for one

You will need:

1 roasted beet, peeled and diced
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
S & P to taste
greens of some kind
pecan or walnut pieces, toasted
goat cheese (I used a herbed goat cheese that I had on hand, but the honeyed variety would be fantastic in this recipe.

1. 1) Put the diced beet bits in small bowl and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Scrape the beet mixture into a 1-cup measure (like the kind you’d use to measure flour or sugar) and turn it over on a plate that you’ve lined with your greens.
  2. 2) Top with goat cheese.
  3. 3) Sprinkle with nuts (mine were still warm! yum!) and more pepper, if desired.

See? Not a lot of work at all, and it made a very happy little lunch for this mama. Aside from roasting the beets (I roasted four on the BBQ the other day) it really didn’t take long to assemble. The nuts added a fabulous crunch, so don’t omit those, oh and that goat cheese… (I’m drooling as I type.)

Even with the nuts this recipe clocks in at about 240 calories, so not bad for those of us who are trying to eat a little lighter.

Let me know if you try this recipe!

Print this post Print this post

9 Responses to "Beet tartare"

1 | Molly

July 20th, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I have always LOVED beets in salad. There are currently 3 different restaurants in our ‘hood that serve up beet salads. All with goat cheese and either walnuts or pecans. Can’t go wrong. If you are hungrier than said 240 calories, add a grilled chicken breast. DELISH!

2 | Mimi

July 20th, 2013 at 5:13 pm

The Spice candies the pecans … I LOVE this recipe.

3 | beets me

July 21st, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Looks divine. I’m definitely going to try this one. You might want to emphasize that the beets are cooked (roasted).

4 | lisa from Iroquois

July 22nd, 2013 at 11:52 am

This past winter we discovered that large beets could be wrapped in tinfoil and nestled in the coals of the wood stove on the days I did not need a roaring fire. The long slow roast is the key, but wow that flavour. Even turnips can be oven roasted… cut like chunky fries, drizzled with olive oil…. yummm.

5 | beets me

July 22nd, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Hey Lisa…how long do you slow cook them in coals? Sounds like something we can do for our Thanksgiving dinner at the cottage. I can practice this summer (bonfires).

6 | Sarah

July 22nd, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I tried the recipe and both my husband and I really enjoyed it. I made some cashew cheese to go with it. I also added a wee bit of Dijon, Worcestershire sauce (making it not so vegan) and some savoury (the good kind from Newfoundland!).

Thanks for a great, simple, healthy idea! Your recipe posts are really enjoyable.

7 | andrea tomkins

July 23rd, 2013 at 9:06 am

Thanks everyone!

Lisa, I love the tip about roasting the beet in coals. Might take a bit longer but I bet the slow-roasted is fab.

And if it’s anything like potatoes I bet it takes at least a couple hours. (?)

8 | Stephanie

July 24th, 2013 at 9:57 am

OMG beets and goat cheese is one of the best combos EVER. I love it so much. This is one recipe that I have made successfully for dinner parties multiple times: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Beet-and-Goat-Cheese-Salad-with-Pistachios-107426

I’m going to give yours a try too :)

9 | lisa from Iroquois

July 25th, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I don’t actually know how long it takes to cook a big beet on the coals. It depends on the size of the beet and how close and hot the coals are. I just leave it there til I can pierce it with a fork, and sometimes I remember to turn it over but that’s most often an element of checking to see if it’s cooked yet :) But the flavour lingers even if you do it early and then just warm it a little at meal time.

NAC Ottawa family events

Fall family fun fun at Saunders Farm!

Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Holiday shopping at terra20 - Ottawa

Nepean Visual Arts Centre

Visit tThe Village Quire in Westboro Ottawa!

bucketlist

etc.

• andrea tomkins: She's getting a bath! It's a weekly thing with prescription shampoo. She doesn't love it, as you can probably tell. :)
  • Javamom: Piper in the tub because: a) she heard thunder and hid there during the storm, b) she is getting a bath or c) you planted her there for the picture ju
  • Meaghan: My 4YO daughter wanted a Princess Leia action figure to go with her brother's Star Wars collection. The only one there is is Leia as a slave. A slave!
  • Alina: I recently bought this weaving kit for my 5-year old son and he loves it: http://toys.scholarschoice.ca/multi-craft-weaving-loom-melissa-doug.html
  • Peady: I love this post! This is the exact kind of "stuff" we do with the Things and it can be and all year round focus. Christmastime is a great time
  • Lynn: At World Trivia Night last year there was a question about that burnt toast heritage minute - you had to name the doctor. I think someone on our team
  • Shan: That was my goal for the year, but I really lost my way. Not sure why, but why not start today? Thanks for the reminder!

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 875 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• My latest post on the MediaSmarts website is up, and it's about family social media accounts. (Yes! It's a thing! And I think it's pretty neat.) Is this something you do as a family? I'd love it if you left your two cents on the topic.

- #
  • I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: