23 Jan, 2014

Maple kale and sweet potato salad

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

January 23 #dailylunches - Maple, sweet potato, and kale salad recipe

I’m not sure if this really qualifies as a salad, but I SHALL CALL IT A SALAD AND A SALAD IT SHALL BE. (That being said, I think this it could also make a very nice side dish too. Maybe served with a pork chop?)

This made an excellent lunch – a veritable cornucopia of flavours –  and it’s officially my new favourite. I ate it faster than you could say: “Boy, this is A VERY GOOD SALAD.”

This recipe is based on this one, which looked good but I thought (a) the dressing could use a little something and (b) I needed to make this into a recipe for one.

Pro tip: roasting the sweet potato in a toaster oven is faster than firing up your regular oven.

For the main part of this dish you will need:

1 smallish sweet potato, cut into chunks
a dash of olive oil
salt (I’m currently addicted to PC black label sea salts. It’s a mix of salt, rosemary, garlic, sage, and pepper, and I use it all the time.)
1/2 Gala apple, diced (My foodie friend Paula Roy told me that they don’t brown as quickly as the others. I had no idea. She’s so smart!)
a handful of kale, washed, torn, stems removed
pecan pieces for sprinkling

For the dressing you will need:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 tablespoon maple syrup

1. 1) Toss your chunks of sweet potato with a drizzle of olive oil and your salt of choice. Pop into the toaster oven set at 400F for about 20 minutes, tossing once or twice.
  2. 2) While your potato is roasting, make the dressing and deal with your kale. If you’ve never eaten raw kale before, make note: I’m not kidding about the stems. They’re bitter, so get rid of them TOOT SWEET.
  3. 3) Put your kale pieces in a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Then, using your hands, massage the dressing into the kale. I bet you’re thinking HOW GROSS. KALE MASSAGE. WELL I NEVER! If you skip this step you’ll be losing out, big time. The pinchy squeezy motion of massaging the kale breaks it down at a cellular level, magically reducing its bitterness and actually changing its flavour. Don’t be shy, give it a really good rubdown, then let it sit in the dressing while the sweet potato finishes cooking.
  4. 4) By now your dog will be wondering what’s going on in the kitchen. Promise him or her a little wedge of sweet potato. I bet your dog would give it a thumbs up, if it had thumbs.
  5. 5) Once the potato is done (you’ll be able to sink a fork into it), it’s time to assemble your salad. Move the kale over to a plate, top with the sweet potato, apple, and pour the remaining dressing over the whole shebang. Top with pecan bits. Add freshly ground pepper if desired.

That’s it! Let me know if you try this recipe!

6 Responses to "Maple kale and sweet potato salad"

1 | Patty

January 23rd, 2014 at 3:26 pm

I make one very similar to yours, except mine uses apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, canola oil, and cranberries in place of the apples. It is definitely a favourite salad in our house, and I love that the kids devour it!

2 | Glen Gower

January 23rd, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Made this tonight Andrea, thanks for the suggestion!

3 | Pamela

January 24th, 2014 at 1:30 pm

This sounds good Andrea! Definitely throw the dogs some sweet potatoes, because if they’re anything like mine, they won’t touch the kale!

4 | J Lee

January 28th, 2014 at 4:37 am

Sweet potato! I’ll do this when the folks come over this weekend. Thanks for the recipe. :)

5 | Pearl

February 2nd, 2014 at 1:47 pm

that sounds great.

6 | Ingredient du jour: black rice >> a peek inside the fishbowl

March 21st, 2014 at 10:30 am

[…] the chopped kale to that, tossing and squashing it down with my fork. (Remember what I said about kale massage in this recent recipe!) And then I let it […]

• a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive Surface tension - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] book, and watched avian-related antics in the backyard. I will say once again for the record that expanding our bird feeder set up was one o
  • andrea tomkins: I'm happy to hear! Thank you for letting me know Inge. :) Merry Christmas to you!
  • Inge: Our family still uses our Advent Envelopes inspired by you! I think we are going on twelve years now. Thank you for the inspiration! Merry Christmas!
  • Mort: I'm usually very good but was gripped with mild panic at the drug store Saturday when I suddenly realized I'd forgotten my mask. Normally there's a ba
  • Michael: You could mix up all your ingredients and form the dough, cover the put it in the fridge. This will cause the dough to perform a slow rise, so if done
  • Sally Dowe Marchand: Wow. Well done. I too have done something as absent-minded as walking into a store and taking my mask off. Inside right so remove it. I immediately re
  • sassygirl: i like hearing your voice on the browser version. it’s well done! (: