21 Mar, 2014

Ingredient du jour: black rice

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

I was browsing the aisles at Bulk Barn when I noticed a barrel full of organic black rice, and I was intrigued.

I have eaten wild rice this colour (I confess I don’t like it that much) but never anything like this. I’m no grain aficionado. We usually stick to whiter varieties of regular rice, including jasmine and basmati, and our go-to rice is usually a stickier variety that I make when we’re having ginger chicken. (A Joy of Cooking recipe, and it’s delish.)

I decided to cook some black rice as part of a #dailylunches dish. And I’m glad I did. Isn’t it pretty?

March 20 #dailylunches - Black rice (!), kale, cranberry, avocado and apple salad.

It’s not exactly black, but it’s close. The rice has a very deep browny purple and gives this dish an unusual hue.

I like the flavour of black rice. Black rice is grainier, denser, and less flooffier than its cousin Uncle Ben, and it’s for these exact reasons I would opt to use it in a salad like this one. It’s mild and a bit nutty, and a bit chewy too, but not unpleasantly so.

Sidebar: this is why I like Bulk Barn! I can buy a cup of something to try it out. No commitment or wastage. Woot!

(Wondering how to cook black rice? It’s easy. Combine 1 3/4 cups of water and one cup of rice in a pot that has a snug-fitting lid. Add a bit of salt and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes. Let stand, covered, for a few minutes before fluffing and serving.)

The black rice salad recipe pictured above consists of:

• 1 cup cooked black rice
  • a small splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar
  • 3 leaves of kale, washed and chopped
  • 1/2 avocado, diced and tossed with lime juice
  • a handful of cranberries
  • half an apple, chopped
  • a smattering of pecan pieces

I prepared the kale while the rice was cooking. I took the oil and vinegar and mixed them together in a bowl and added the chopped kale to that, tossing and squashing it down with my fork. (Remember what I said about kale massage in this recent recipe!) And then I let it sit.

I added the warm rice (not hot) to the kale, and gently tossed in the other ingredients. That’s it!

Here are a few other black rice recipes that look intriguing from around the WWW, in case you’d like to try it out for yourself in a different kind of dish:

6 Responses to "Ingredient du jour: black rice"

1 | Caroline (@CarolineCSeguin)

March 21st, 2014 at 10:36 am

I’m going to try this with my raspberry vinegar!

2 | andrea tomkins

March 21st, 2014 at 11:07 am

That sounds like a good flavour for this!

3 | Stacey K

March 21st, 2014 at 11:28 am

Black rice makes a really nice rice pudding, especially with coconut milk. A quick search will turn up tons of different recipes.

4 | Marc Savoie

March 21st, 2014 at 11:46 am

I love love love Black Rice!

For Wild Rice, I usually toss a half cup of wild rice with 1 cup of brown rice into my rice cooker and it comes out great! The wild rice gives the normally bland brown rice a bit of a kick. I couldn’t imagine eating JUST wild rice though!

5 | Jodie

March 21st, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Really like black rice as well, I need to try this recipe, it looks absolutely delicious!

6 | coffee with julie

March 21st, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I’ve never tried black rice! But your photo is making my stomach growl … looks yummy.

Expert lice removal services in Ottawa with Lice Services Canada

• andrea tomkins: Lisa, I just LOVE the idea of cheeseburgers for breakfast. Sounds like the perfect hot meal, especially for growing kids!
  • andrea tomkins: The amount of sugar in grocery store products is positively astounding. Caesar salad dressing! Pita crisps! Ketchup! Battered fish! I wish I had a bet
  • Amy: I've recently been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, it's made me take a lot harder look at all the sugar in my diet. Even though I was trying to
  • Lisa from Iroqouis: I have no problem with ribs for breakfast. I love leftovers in the morning. No fuss no muss. Isn't that what leftover Chinese food and pizza is for
  • andrea tomkins: Food traditions are so interesting! I could continue to eat like this, but meat is my stumbling block. I would prefer to eat less of it, not more. I c
  • Claudette: I also prefer veg to fruit in the morning. The other day I was watching an episode of a cattle farmer and they don't eat anything until 10:30 am s
  • Misty Pratt: I read that NYT article (the one about reducing your sugar?) and went to check a few things in our cupboards. I was happy to see the Farm Boy pita cra