24 Dec, 2013

The Christmas 2013 edition of #hourlyphoto

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Challenge me, challenge you|Photography

hourlyphotoRegular readers already know how this works. The Hourly Photo Challenge is you, me, and a bunch of other people, taking one photo every hour on the hour throughout the day of whatever we happen to be doing or looking at that very moment.

Here are my results last year. It is an amazing way to document a day in a very visual way.

As per previous Hourly Photo Challenges – this is how it works:

• The idea is to take one photo every hour, on the hour, for the whole day. For many of us December 25 = chaos, so don’t worry about precision. We can only do our best!
  • You don’t need to be a photographer in order to participate. I know some people are shy to post their photos, but this is not a contest or competition, it’s about documenting your day in an easy and interesting way and seeing how others do the same.
  • Take as many photos as you are able. I start when I get up and stop when it gets too dark; every hour on the hour.
  • Use whatever camera or mobile device you prefer. I’m using my iPhone, because it’s easy. Post them to your blog and/or your photosharing site when you can. Just make sure you let us know in the comments below where you’re posting them so we can all have a look. Tag your photos “hourlyphoto” so they’re easy to find. If you’re on Twitter use #hourlyphoto so we can all follow the convo.
  • Would you like to make this extra challenging for yourself? DON’T DO RETAKES. (!) This is not mandatory but I thought I’d throw it out there in case you’re the kind of person who really likes a challenge. :)
  • Here’s a tip, if you have a mobile phone with an alarm clock, set it for one minute before the hour i.e. at 7:59, 8:59 etc. This will give you a solid minute to get your camera ready and snap The Thing You Happen To Be Doing.

Please consider playing along!

Also: it’s not a problem if you can’t upload as you go. Upload in batches when you have the chance. Or even the next day. I will be uploading mine here, in a separate blog post when I can.

If you’re participating please let me know in the comments so I can see the results of your hard work, and if you’re happy to lurk, look for the Hourly Photo post starting on December 25. :) Woot!

8 Responses to "The Christmas 2013 edition of #hourlyphoto"

1 | Katy

December 24th, 2013 at 10:05 am

I haven’t done this in a while – I’m in!

2 | Face Tyme

December 24th, 2013 at 1:40 pm

We have a rule in our house. No booze or electronics on Christmas. Lots of good old fashioned face time. Best day of the year.

December 24th, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I think that’s a lovely tradition. Enjoy! And Merry Christmas! :)

4 | Kelly MacNaull (@kmacnaull)

December 25th, 2013 at 4:41 am

I’m in! I’ll post on Twitter @kmacnaull. Merry Christmas!

5 | Javamom

December 25th, 2013 at 10:32 am

I’m in. Getting started now, Xmas day, over on my blog.

(There has been so many changes of plans due to ice storm in Toronto that has affected half the family, but it looks like I’m going to be home and able to post for this hourly photo thing now since all plans have changed again).

6 | Nicki

December 25th, 2013 at 11:48 am

I am so in! Going to start Intagramming/Tweeting (@nickilynnm) /Facebooking my pics soon, will probably not do a blog post until tomorrow.

7 | Ginger

December 25th, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I am way behind in my blog reading. Last night as I was going to bed I wondered if you were doing the hourly photo today. I had already planned to document my day an hour at a time….it has become a tradition that I enjoy! I will upload to Instagram and my blog and probably Facebook and Twitter….Happy Christmas!

8 | #hourlyphoto on Christmas day | Javaline

December 25th, 2013 at 6:24 pm

[…] changing every few hours (we’re now on plan j, or k or something…) I decided to join Andrea in the fishbowl on the #hourlyphoto challenge. So here are a few of the first photos I […]

NAC Ottawa culture days

Saunders Farm annual passes for family fun!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

OMS Ottawa Montessori schools

Rethink Tires - Community Renewal Fund

terra20 Ottawa

• andrea tomkins: True! It could have been a knockoff, but it was pretty solid. And for $15 bucks it is still a great shoe for someone.
  • Brenda A: I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I have come across SO many high end brand name items that are complete knock-offs. The counterfeiting indust
  • andrea tomkins: We have a winner! It's commenter #5 - Joy - who wrote: we also need tires…but this is nice too – love the mat :D" Thanks Joy! Check your email
  • Claudette (@WriterOfWords91): I love this post too, I always look forward to it! :) Interesting how many times we think alike.
  • CeeB: Love the door mat, and thanks for the info on the grant!
  • georgina: cool door mats!!
  • Shannon Barlow: Gorgeous door mat. So many uses for tires, who knew?! Thanks for the chance.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (16) and Sarah (14). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

... check out past nightstand reads right here.